Thread: A rant of shovelled form

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A rant of shovelled form

I am looking at writing something on recovery and hence I have been trawling various forums looking for interesting comments that will be relevant to what I want.

So far zilch, zero; all I find is how NOT TO snatch recovery. The trouble here is all too many YouTube vids of people drinking beer and things going wrong. Yes these may reinforce the do it the correct way approach.

I did come across this little piece from a person I consider holding some wisdom in the subject:

The Evil Twin
    I know how to solve or eliminate every single issue mentioned so far... Don't use a Snatch Strap.

Very old school thinking on my part I know but... Pffft... has worked for me to date. I reckon of all the Snatch Recoveries I have witnessed at least 90% did not , indeed should not have involved using a Snatch Strap.

Probably 50% of the time the dude could drive the mired vehicle out if they got their fat butt outa the drivers seat and grabbed a shovel.

E.T. dons flame suit and heads for... uuummmm... Argentina might be just far enough

ref: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...l=1#post126659

The significant part here was the reference to that horrible thing called shovel.

To often I hear about rated recovery points, to often I hear about using a snatch strap correctly, to often I hear don’t use a tow ball; occasionally the MaxTrax type system gets a mention. BUT I don’t hear enough of using the shovel to do the initial preparation work.

This is not a case of this forum but of many 4WD forums and similar sites.

The other thing that seems to slip into the front of recovery concepts is "lets use a snatch strap". Why is this the first thing people jump to?
    I am beginning to wonder if snatch straps should not be costed as much as winches. Perhaps we might have fewer accidents.

Passing thoughts form the old one
    Ok end of rant..

Call me old and grumpy.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to outback For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (29th May 2013), GUtsy ute (29th May 2013), Kast (5th August 2013), NissanGQ4.2 (29th May 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well put and a good discussion point. Why the strap first?

On the recent trip I got caught up on the front diff (well the wife did), but I could get enough momentum to get things rolling again.. it was thick sticky clay on road tyres..
    So a quick scavenge to find some nice dead wood and into the rut they went. A couple of blokes to give the initial shove and I drove out..

When I get the rack on the first thing will be a shovel mount, and axe mount.

I try to abound using my straps, its just more crap to clean when I get home...

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    my Shovel is on a Quick release on the back door. i can have it off in 5 seconds. I use it constantly when in groups and often the only one on a shovel. It makes a MASSIVE Difference. I have copped a ribbing a few times about being on a shovel. Yeah guys you watch i say.

I have driven a detour track to get a group of young blokes out of a bog that they had been in for 2 hours, they knew i was about and got me on the phone then the radio and asked for help. Down i went, got to them. got out of the car, walked up the back door of the stuck car and removed THEIR Shovel! dug a cross rut out of the slippery ruts they were stuck in and put the dirt i was digging into the rut they were to drive out of.

I drove for 2 hours to go help them, i was on site for 5 minutes while the group of Young Fit blokes watched and then asked them to get back in their car and drive out. They did! very embarrassing for them!

The Power of the Shovel. Round mouth short handle is my friend in the bush. In the sand the long handle is a winner.

5 minutes on a shovel can change the world and reduce the strain on the rest of the recovery.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bob (29th May 2013), DX grunt (29th May 2013), GUtsy ute (29th May 2013), Sir Roofy (29th May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm with MR some prep work first, most times ppl only stuck for 1mtr of track. IMO

Edit,,,,,,,,Might find the young bucks tend to use a strap more thats my take out bush,
    I've just fitted a "D" handle to my post hole shovel just for this purpose
    Last edited by threedogs; 29th May 2013 at 11:18 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Why is this the first thing people jump to?" Because it works.

I do carry a shovel and do use it so dont get me wrong here, but a bit of road building without the shovel normally gets most jobs done.

A bit of a hand over a obstacle with the use of a snatch strap is safe and quick, often doing not much more than moving the vehicle a couple of meters and we are on the move again.

There are many ways out of the same situation, so a bit of shovel work is right there amongst them and may be your only real way out.

In my case I hate reversing down a rutted track to have another go, if I think its too much for me, we do some road building, as above, and if that is not going to work I reach for the snatch strap first.

My choice that I am comfortable with, and for my piece of mind thats all that matters.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I come across someone stuck the first thing I do is hand them a shovel because I am not going to ruin my recovery gear without them having a go getting out themselves first especially if I can't see daylight under their diffs.

I think the reason is poor training in recovery and no motivation for physical labour. Ten minutes digging can mean more time driving IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A snatch strap would be the last thing I'd try. If I couldn't winch, dig or maxrtax myself out or another vehicle couldn't pull me out due to no traction, then I'd have to use its forward momentum to pull me out with a snatch strap.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrolmq View Post
    .......... or another vehicle couldn't pull me out due to no traction, then I'd have to use its forward momentum to pull me out with a snatch strap.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2
    You've highlighted an important difference there.
    People think snatch straps are for dangerous hoons because they only ever envisage high speed, big run up, full throttle snatches. The reality is that a snatch strap can be used to give an ever so gentle tug just to get the bogged vehicle going again. %99 of recoveries I've done or seen with a snatch strap have been gentle and controlled.

sent from my phone using motor culture
    Hello from Under Down Under!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

GUtsy ute (29th May 2013), macca (29th May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    You've highlighted an important difference there.
    People think snatch straps are for dangerous hoons because they only ever envisage high speed, big run up, full throttle snatches. The reality is that a snatch strap can be used to give an ever so gentle tug just to get the bogged vehicle going again. %99 of recoveries I've done or seen with a snatch strap have been gentle and controlled.

sent from my phone using motor culture
    Agree however i tend to use a chain. Does tend to take up alittle room though. A gentle pull with a strap if digging does not work

Sent by a Samsung S3 using Motorculture App

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well im surprised about not using a shovel they are a must have item,well I thought they where
    every 4by you see in town has one strapped to the spare wheel or rack and don't see to many that
    have been used unless they paint them black before they go out again in some places its quicker
    to get the shovel than muck around getting the snatch strap out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast