Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    What size tyres are you looking at? 33s? If you do a spring lift first you should be able to fit 35s with a 2" lift?
    Are you going to run two sets of tyres? Worth it IMO if it's your daily.

I cannot recommend the Silverstone tyres. As you know I have the 117 Extreme and they are honestly a pretty crap tyre...... handle and grip like a bag of sh## on road, are noisy as all hell (expected though with that tread pattern), wear down extremely fast (don't think I'll get 10,000kms out of this set) and I seem to get punctures all the time? Even running 18 psi they just don't bag out.
    They are unbelievable in the sloppy stuff though! Great on rocks too but damage really easily.
    Would I buy them again? No.
    Yeah they aint got nothing on the simex jungle trekkers of which they seem to be copied from.

As winnie has said, id probably go for the spring lift first or save a little longer and go the lift and tyres at the same time. 33's are probably as big as you need to go for an entry level sort of thing.
    Ideally keep your AT's for daily driving then you can get a softer, grippier more expensive tyre for the play weekends and you wont feel bad wearing them out prematurely on the black stuff.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    Mudhog?????????????
    nah he's a carpark warrior

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (27th May 2013), Winnie (27th May 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    those hercules look pretty darn good.
    I havent ever heard anyone praising the Dunlops (doesnt mean it hasnt happened)
    the summit mud hogs look very similar pattern to Cooper stt's and Mickey T's mtz
    No idea about the silverstone sports but imo they dont look that good?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at the better known brands?? I know it can make a huge difference between driving something and not, also how long they last and durability. I have run Mickey T claws, TTC claws and MTZ's, Simex centipedes and BF Goodrich KM2's.

The BFG's would be the best all round tyre. They grip exceptionally well on the black top, sand and mud (even at 38psi).
    Both style of claws are noisy but work well in the softer terrains, the MTZ's are great on the harder rocky terrain.
    And the simex. These things work pretty bloody well as a serious play tyre. Wet rock they arent great but I think this could be made much better with beadlocks. The reason I chose to give these things a go (apart from the cost) was I watched a winch challenge DVD and most cars in these events are similar in set ep and power. The 2 tyres that stood out, as in could drive the furtherest before winching, were the Sticky treps and the simex centipedes.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Alitis007 (27th May 2013), Bloodyaussie (27th May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maxxis, Mickey's or simex. around the 35 inch

They would be my choices. If you keep them off the road they will last a long time.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all I can say George - the tyres are going on a GU and it won't matter how good the tyre is you will still get beaten by a GQ
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

89gqpatrol4x4 (12th June 2013), Ben-e-boy (28th May 2013)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    This is all I can say George - the tyres are going on a GU and it won't matter how good the tyre is you will still get beaten by a GQ
    Bloody hell Todd you had to push that button!!!!!!!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Alitis007 (27th May 2013), NissanGQ4.2 (27th May 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had bighorns and found them to be very weak IMO the Hercules always catch my eye I reckon they would be good
    IF ITS NOT BROKEN IT MUST BE A PATROL

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I cannot recommend the Silverstone tyres. As you know I have the 117 Extreme and they are honestly a pretty crap tyre...... handle and grip like a bag of sh## on road, are noisy as all hell (expected though with that tread pattern), wear down extremely fast (don't think I'll get 10,000kms out of this set) and I seem to get punctures all the time? Even running 18 psi they just don't bag out.
    They are unbelievable in the sloppy stuff though! Great on rocks too but damage really easily.
    Would I buy them again? No.
    And the lesson here is that the Silverstones hit the market running as a well priced Copy of the Simex ET2. Standing side by side and the Silverstones have smaller blocks and bigger gaps. I thought at the time that my Simexs would last for 3 sets of the Silverstones and they do that by a long shot so that makes the Silverstones Really Bloody Expensive!

I got some other really good advice early in the piece. I could not fathom at the time spending $2k on a set of play tyres!! WTF!!! Who does that! Well if you consider that you buy new, buy good and keep for 5 years then sell when they are 60 to 70% for 50% of the cost and upgrade to the new ones again.

You always use the best bit of the tyre and after the initial investment they are actually very economical.

Buy the best Play tyre that you can and buy 35s if your going to go that way.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Alitis007 (27th May 2013)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast