Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: TD42 Boost ?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is also a screw on the top of the Boost comp as well as the main fuel delivery screw that i played with last time, from memory you screw it anti clock wise on both for more fuel but not quit sure .
    What are your thoughts ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is basically what im chasing , i found this on the bosch web site
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok I'll try and explain it for you.

The little screw on top of the compensator is no boost fueling (from idle)
    The screw on the back of the pump near the fuel return fitting is the max fuel screw (this adjusts overall fueling) so it gets more fuel in across the entire rev range. Clockwise to increase fuel.
    The compensator pin is eccentric so there will be a shallow section and when you turn it the section gets deeper.
    There are shims on the pin these allow the pin to travel further under full boost meaning you can get more fueling.
    Then the spring base (star wheel) the further down this is changes the effort to over come the spring.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (25th May 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep thanks , i thought the fuel comp allowed the extra fuel in ( under vacuum ) at the top end of the rev range just didn't remember which way the screw went either clock wise or anti .

cheers Ash

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No vacuum. Just positive pressure to push the pin down.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal2828 View Post
    I'm a little confused , are you running 21psi or 13 psi ?
    Are these other guys using there trucks in comps or something , cant say i have ever heard anyone going into the 30s and they must have done other mods to handle the high torque so as not to shag an engine
    My GU work ute, which does 6-700km every week has as mentioned, earlier around the 280 odd hp mark and around 690-700nm.
    It has 400k km on it and has never been toouched. Never opened up other than the rocker cover to adjust them every couple of years.
    Different turbo and fuel pump obviously.
    With the above performance it would return high 12l/100km economy if driven to the speed limit.
    For the last 3-4yrs or so it has been running between 26-30 ish psi boost without a drama. New turbo now and sorting out a few issue, but the boost is up around 35ish psi, did have a little spike to 37.9psi the other day.
    To put it generally, boost is not the issue. Temperature and boost cause issue. Control the temperature both engine and EGT and you are half way there to helping it survive. Touch wood.

Marty

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambill View Post
    My GU work ute, which does 6-700km every week has as mentioned, earlier around the 280 odd hp mark and around 690-700nm.
    It has 400k km on it and has never been toouched. Never opened up other than the rocker cover to adjust them every couple of years.
    Different turbo and fuel pump obviously.
    With the above performance it would return high 12l/100km economy if driven to the speed limit.
    For the last 3-4yrs or so it has been running between 26-30 ish psi boost without a drama. New turbo now and sorting out a few issue, but the boost is up around 35ish psi, did have a little spike to 37.9psi the other day.
    To put it generally, boost is not the issue. Temperature and boost cause issue. Control the temperature both engine and EGT and you are half way there to helping it survive. Touch wood.

Marty
    I find it amazing that you still achieve the same economy as a N/A TD42 with essentially a 300%+ increase in power.
    If only that could be achieved with petrol. I would no less than 500c.i. Lol
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    I find it amazing that you still achieve the same economy as a N/A TD42 with essentially a 300%+ increase in power.
    If only that could be achieved with petrol. I would no less than 500c.i. Lol
    Yeh from the day I drove it out of the show room the best I could get was maybe 18's.
    But with ample power you simply don't need to flog it to get it going. Normal everyday driving, with it spinning up to around 20-25psi quite easily is done without much throttle.
    And contrary to what you may think, the amount of time it sees big boost over say 25psi is very little in day to day driving.
    Gone through some fuel setting up new turbo though. Flog it and it uses it.

Marty

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will ad though, (memory is slipping), that in the months before I changed turbo and pump I was getting mid 11's from the standard pump and turbo. Was 17 ish psi lots of timing, 4" snorkel, smallish bar and plate cooler. Made like 121rwkw and 420nm. Was making that 17psi by 1700rpm too.
    You couldn't get in it and hold it flat though, you had to be on the ball, and a habitual gauge watcher.

Marty.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi jackal2828 , I have seen TD42 engines' do well in excess of 500,000kms - I know of one with about 750,000kms on it. I have a 2H with 664,000kms on it. The pump was overhauled at 480,000kms and injectors - about - every 200,000kms, this is the only thing I have done to the engine apart from regular servicing🚘🤔.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast