Thread: egr servicing

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

egr servicing

with the egr blanked off on my 3lt , should you spray a egr cleaner into the system on a regular basis. say every 20,000kms or is it leave it alone?
    3lt GU 111 Wagon 2 inch lift,3in Taipan exhaust, cross country intercooler,catch can,EGR blocked, dawes and needle valve,Pyro/boost gauge ARB lockers,steinbaurer chip, long range tank, s/s water tank, draws, warn winch, and other stuff.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seems no one knows? I would of thought that the gunk would build up where it has been blocked.
    3lt GU 111 Wagon 2 inch lift,3in Taipan exhaust, cross country intercooler,catch can,EGR blocked, dawes and needle valve,Pyro/boost gauge ARB lockers,steinbaurer chip, long range tank, s/s water tank, draws, warn winch, and other stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It should be blocked from the top, allowing any extra gas to escape via exhaust.
    It can't "build up "
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,331 Times in 6,448 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Being block with the plate the gases have no where to go so even if it does block up it wont matter. I have seen some people actually remove the whole egr and pipe from the engine and block it off directly from the exhaust. But I wouldn't be doing that just in case you get a roadside inspection by the local authorities and they pick up on that...

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when the mechanic blocked the top outlet off he run egr cleaner. he put the can of spray in the rubber joint on the outlet side of intercooler to clean out the gunk from years of build up. does this sound right?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,331 Times in 6,448 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What he was doing to just trying to clean the intake. As pre blocking the EGR the intake does gum up. Most people when htey block the EGR they spend a day removing the whole intake side off and cleaning it manually. Thats the proper way, laborious but much more effective. I would never let any mechanic spray anything of the kind down the intake of my engine. Especially a 3ltr. Bye bye pistons...
    Heres a pic of an intake pre egr blocking and cleaning. Just think if yours is like this, what happens to this gunk when you spray the cleaner in there. Straight down into your engine. No thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mudski; 28th May 2013 at 09:00 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

june (28th May 2013)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info. seeing this mechanic has already done the spray job I, all I can do now is do a oil change.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry mate but when i did the nads on mine there is noway that some spray would move the gunk out of my inlet pipe i scraped it out with a butter knife i hope you got to see it before it was put back together

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea what the mechanic was going to do, I was just doing the nad thing and thought I was saving a engine from going boom! going to have to pull it to bits and do it properly myself.