Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Which Swag?

Who runs which swag?

Im in the market for a swag. I have a few mates with some pretty nice looking heavy duty swags.
    The Oztrail ones seem to be fairly well priced and look to be decent quality. Does anyone have one of these? What are your thoughts?
    A few things to keep in mind:
    Im probably only going to use it 3 or 4 times a year so it doesnt have to be fully hardcore.
    Most the time ill either be laying on wet ground or get rained on so im looking more for good waterproofing instead of good ventilation.
    The weight doesnt bother me as i own a patrol.
    Any thoughts or recomendations would be appreciated.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Swags aren't really good for sleeping in the rain, you will need a tarp or something to go over it. I have a Freetime swag and the water soaks through

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

taslucas (21st May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I consider a swag an investment and believe you pay for what you get.

I used to be in the SES and bought a decent king single swag. It was an AOS brand and had a roll back top, and underneath that was a sandfly cover, that protected me. I could still hear the mozzies buzzing around, but they were'nt in my space. lol. The only regret I have is not getting the thicker mattress.

Here's a pic of my swag. I'll roll it out and give you the full monty and add it as an edit, sometime this week.

This is an old pic, so don't be too critical. lol

There are lots of options to stay dry. Site selection is the most important thing. Stay away from known waterways/run off areas. Put a tarp/ground mat on the ground under your swag. You could make your own 'tent' by stringing a rope between two trees - remembering not to ringbark or damage the tree - and draping a tarp over it, and using tent pegs to hold the tarp down. If you're allowed, dig a small trench around your swag/campsite, so if it does rain, you won't get flooded out - and remember it's there, so when you get out of bed you don't roll your ankle, and remember to fill the holes in when you leave.

If you go for a few 'drinkies' at another campsite, make sure you've got a couple or a few solar lights at your camp, so you can find your way home in the dark. lol

Rossco
    Last edited by DX grunt; 21st May 2013 at 08:42 AM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

Clunk (21st May 2013), taslucas (21st May 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got a darche kingsize swag and love it
    just remember to season it and spray with water proofing stuf

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah you can get good waterproof swags, my mates is awesome, I found him asleep one morning with puddle on him haha. I'll have to find out what brand.
    Always the same when looking at camping gear, most of it is designed to be insect proof and well ventilated to keep you cool which isn't what I'm after in Tassie lol.
    Hey rosscoe, thats not a swag, thats a tent! Lol

McCulture
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a king single wild country dome swag from rays outdoor and works a treat, heavy canvas and good mesh, paid $120 on special for but does need a thicker mattres which I use a 4wd self inflating mat.

Also have a double dome swag made by Sherpa which is awesome as again thick canvas, good mesh and has a good mattres in it. Paid $350 on special from a 4wd show.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to oncedisturbed For This Useful Post:

taslucas (21st May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Had heaps of swags over the years, Scenerio try getting into a Darche or dome style swag in the rain with muddy boots.
    But wait theres more you are four parts Pist. Then remember to zip it up. Mob in Shep make an awesome tent style swag
    I have two swags don't use them for One reason only, they are far too bulky,
    I plan on taking 2 mates to Cape york, way too much room, IMO cheap GEO and Lilo for that trip
    But a Rooster like yourself get the King single of Your choice, RAYS do a decent one at a good price
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 8,045 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a "Down Under Brumby" swag and I love it.
    I have used it in the rain and never got wet, if it is raining when I get in I use the end entrance to stop rain getting in.
    It has good ventilation too which I found important to let condensation from breathing out otherwise it will build up inside the swag and you end up wet.
    It is not cheap but you get what you pay for.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

taslucas (21st May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at the esky web site

http://www.techniice.com/camping-gear-categories

I have one of their swags!
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got one of these, no zips & warmer than many because of the double layer of canvas over the top of you. I had a longer flap sewn onto the head end as I used to get water channeling inside when it rained. From the pics it looks as though todays model has the extended head flap like I had added). A top quality swag....... but to be honest if I were buying another today, just for occasional use I'd go for one of the zip up type with a couple of hoops inside. A mate has had one for years with a pvc floor in it which he reckons is far better for wet weather.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast