Thread: GQ died now wont start

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ died now wont start

So I am slowly getting a little annoyed with this GQ I have just got my hands on. I was driving today down the highway when it decided to lose all power and die. Pulled over and tried to trouble shoot. Seems to have spark. Seems to have fuel. Seems to have air. Soooo I called RAC and they were pretty much no help. So I am just asking if anyone has any quick ideas. I am going to start with the fuel system and then electrical. I am no mechanic but I don't have a problem pulling stuff apart to fix. Any advice would be great. I just want to drive this thing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention tb42 engine also on gas

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Carby or EFi? Does it die on both fuels or just gas, or just petrol? When was the last time the gas system was serviced?
    Not that I'm able to help as my knowledge is almost non existent But may assist others with as much info as possible

MCcrappatappalot signing on..............

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Efi. Both on gas and fuel. Had an issue a week ago when I went through a puddle and it died. But I pulled the intake apart and it seemed to go again. Like yourself my knowledge is little. Thanks again for your help. No idea on the gas. Picked this up a week ago. I'll more than likely have to get it to a good mechanic.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, just wondering, does it just cut out and die or does it cough and splutter so to speak then die? And what happens when you re start it? Does it fire straight up or churn for a while the fire?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have heard of people having dramas with their electronic distributors on the tb42e when going through puddles. I'd be pulling that apart and making sure everything is clean and dry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a process of elimination so start with spark and injector pulse then check the fuel pressure, power at the lock offs/solenoids,fuses,relays and wires around the battery. Also check that the petrol / gas toggle switch is working correctly but you will know this if there is power to the lock offs. Lastly you can check the motor for compression but one of the above will not be present and point you in the right direction.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dizzy is dry as, one of the first things I pulled apart. I heard the same thing.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post
    You need a process of elimination so start with spark and injector pulse then check the fuel pressure, power at the lock offs/solenoids,fuses,relays and wires around the battery. Also check that the petrol / gas toggle switch is working correctly but you will know this if there is power to the lock offs. Lastly you can check the motor for compression but one of the above will not be present and point you in the right direction.
    It could be the fuel pump. I was running it on fuel as there was no gas in it ( ran it dry to check Kms). My first thought was it ran out of petrol. I was on way to fuel station when this happened. Only had less that a quarter tank. So I was hoping faulty fuel gauge. Wish it was that simple. I filled it up with fuel and still no go

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hershal View Post
    Well it just died. Now it won't even crank over.
    Are the battery terminals tight? Do the dash light come on with the key in the ON position?? When you turn the key to crank do the lights dim or do you hear a click ??

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast