OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware Account hackers are here !

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpc View Post
    i always use internet banking and find it is easy to control all payments and transfers, if you run good virus protection you are going to be safe.
    You don't have to use internet banking to loose money from your account, on a trip i did a few years back we stopped first night at coober pedy and 1 of the guys used his credit card at a few places there.
    He then tried to use it at mount dare and it was declined, turned out someone in coober pedy had used his card details to purchase several thousand dollars worth of goods.

As far as using email instead of the phone, i do that all the time at work so i have a record of the conversation.
    i can see where your comming from but the art of speaking to some one is dying ,if you just e/mail every thing you really dont know what they are thinking or scaming but with speaking to them on the phone you can pick up on certain tones in there voice
    and you get an idea of how they are thinking
    and as for credit cards never had one and cant see the need for one,thats only another bill i dont need to worry about

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 8,032 Times in 3,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    i can see where your comming from but the art of speaking to some one is dying ,if you just e/mail every thing you really dont know what they are thinking or scaming but with speaking to them on the phone you can pick up on certain tones in there voice
    and you get an idea of how they are thinking
    and as for credit cards never had one and cant see the need for one,thats only another bill i dont need to worry about
    Agree the tone of your voice can change the whole context of a conversation and it is very hard to portray that in an email, sometimes I will follow up an email with a phone call to make sure it did not come get misinterpreted.
    Could not live without a credit card, some places insist on them like hire car companies.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Internet Banking for all Payments but this is through the Bendigo Bank which in addition to Logon Details and Password it also requires the use of a Dongle which generates a Code based on your details and the time etc and when entered in the Bank Software generates the same code and it must match. Very Secure.
    Internet Banking saves so much time

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpc View Post
    agree the tone of your voice can change the whole context of a conversation and it is very hard to portray that in an email, sometimes i will follow up an email with a phone call to make sure it did not come get misinterpreted.
    Could not live without a credit card, some places insist on them like hire car companies.
    haha was no mention of a back up call lol,your probably right about the credit cards,im glad we live such a simple life
    in saying that we have most mods in our home but all paid for if we have,nt the money at the time we wait till we do
    then pay cash for it no interest on cards pick up take home enjoy,if they insist on a credit card they dont get my dollars

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    i use internet banking for all payments but this is through the bendigo bank which in addition to logon details and password it also requires the use of a dongle which generates a code based on your details and the time etc and when entered in the bank software generates the same code and it must match. Very secure.
    Internet banking saves so much time
    sorry bob but whats a dongle

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    sorry bob but whats a dongle
    I was going to say an appendage to my body but I wont. LOL

It is a electronic device the size of a USB Stick which when you press a button it generates a Code which you enter into your Banking Logon to allow you access

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

threedogs (17th May 2013)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,283 Times in 6,435 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Going OT here but some people don't like using CC's. What about cheques? They went out with BellBottom's and button up boots! And I still get people wanting to pay this way. I just tell them to go elsewhere if they want to pay by cheque. Cheque is the easy way of getting stuff and not paying for it. Plus we have to wait for payment...

But my question still remains unanswered...how did you find this out?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (17th May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ Lucas you like that eh Time poor, read that in a really thick book about WTF. lol
    My other thick book is for useless info and colouring in ,lol Again HL&S

All for technology its mind boggling to think where it will be in 20 odd years.

We are that lazy now we CBF changing tv if we cant find remote, go figure
    My Galaxay 3 phone has more technology in it than the room full of computers
    that put man on the moon

I'll except cheque, I'll except anyway they want to pay as long as I get paid
    never been dudded yet as don't release product until paid, easy
    We just need to get smarter,
    @ Mudski read first post
    Last edited by threedogs; 17th May 2013 at 11:41 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't written a cheque for donkeys years. Not even sure if we still have a cheque book.
    All our banking is done online, & instead of a dongle generated security code like Bob, I get a an text message on my phone from the bank with a code for the transaction.
    I use ebay quite a lot & for that I use a debit card that I keep a very small balance in & deposit the amount I need into it at the time of each transaction.
    Like Roofy we don't have any debt, & don't buy anything unless we have the money to pay for it, but we do use a credit card for convenience (& because my wife gets salary sacrificing - which is all smoke & mirrors to me). Anything spent on the credit card gets paid off well within the 'free credit period', usually the same day as the transaction is made.

Living 30kms from the nearest bank makes electronic banking a no brainer for us.

TD if you are the luddite you claim to be when it comes to this electronic finance stuff how do you manage on your frequent ebay purchases? Do you send cheques, use online bank transfer or Paypal? And how do people pay you for the stuff you sell? Surely you don't get written cheques from all your customers?

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bob (17th May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My sons well one showed me how to set up and use paypal.
    worked out great for a member in the UK who needed something from Nizzbits.
    I purchased it posted it and UK member reimbursed me via PayPal plus extra for beer or was that pint.
    , I'm not anti Technology I love it but like Roofy
    I'm not up to speed with it. My choice,I'm old school . If I wasnt injured and remaned in the workplace
    I'm sure/positive things would be different
    Last edited by threedogs; 17th May 2013 at 11:50 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast