Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shocks, Air Bags & 2" Lift

Hi all,

This is my first contribution to this forum, although I have read many posts on many topics and find it an invaluable source of good information.

I also realise that there are already many posts on this topic. My info and questions are fairly specific, so please forgive me if it seems like it is similar to other posts.

I have a 2003 GU Nissan Patrol 4.2 (6 cyl). When I bought it, it was fitted with Old Man Emu shocks, but I think it still has factory springs. It was also fitted with PolyAir bags on the rear.

It has a factory steel bar on it and I have purchased a Tigerz11 12,000lb winch with Dyneema that I want to fit to it. I also want to fit a 2 inch lift to the vehicle.

I just want to receive some confirmation from people that my ideas are correct.

It currently has OME 60012 shocks on the front which, from the info I can find, appear to be suited to having no bull bar or only an alloy bull bar. As I have a steel bar and want to fit a winch, it seems I need OME 60013 shocks (assuming I want to stick with OME). Is this correct?

On the rear, it currently has OME 60015 shocks, which are apparently suited to rear loads of 200kg to 400kg plus. Are these loads specifying the load carried in the rear only? I have a pair of Outback drawers and, when camping, carry a 40 litre Engel fridge, as well as some camping gear.

I also tow a camper trailer that is said to weigh 600kg out of the factory, but is obviously loaded with plenty of additional gear. Most of our camping gear is carried in the camper, so that the car really has the car stuff, bags of clothing, fridge, the drawers and some other odds. The camper carries the rest. When the water tank is filled (80 litre), two jerrys added, two 4.5kg gas bottles attached, plus battery, and camping gear, etc, I reckon the camper would weigh in around a tonne (should probably get it weighed when loaded). Weight at the towbar is about 120kg.

My assumptions are:
    1. I should upgrade front shocks to OME 60013 to suit weight of steel bull bar and winch.
    2. I can retain the OME 60015 shocks in the rear, but could scale back to slightly less heavy-duty ones such as 60014.
    3. The air bags would allow me scale back to the 60014 and would therefore provide a slightly softer ride day-to-day but I could pump up the air bags to provide additional weight carrying capacity when loading it up, going camping and/or towing the camper trailer.
    4. I should fit OME 2971 coil springs on the front.
    5. I should fit OME 2981 coil springs on the rear if I stick with the 60015 shocks, OR
    6. I should fit OME 2980 coil springs on the rear if I scale back to 60015 shocks.
    7. I should fit a steering damper (such as OMESD01).
    8. I should fit a caster correction kit (such as OMECA77B).
    9. The 50mm packers that came with my air bags should be fitted to suit the 2 inch lift.
    10. There is a possibility I will need coil trim packers?
    11. I don’t need to fit or change control arms, drag link, panhard, offset radius arm bush kit, steering shaft extension, tie rods, brake hoses, brake bias kit

Last question is: How likely are the rear coil mount cracking issues? Is it worth getting this strengthened at the same time?

I would appreciate any feedback on whether people agree (or not) with my assumptions listed above. Just looking for some confirmation (or correction) before I go and spend any money.

Many thanks,

Dave.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Dave.

I'm not a mechanic, but, I'd be talking to a proper vehicle examiner to find out if all these things are possible and, legal.

If it's not legal, it may affect your insurance etc.

Rules change quite often, and quite often you need to speak to the experts who deal with this sort of stuff all day, every day.

Take care and welcome to the forum.

Rossco

Edit: in WA if you do any modification/s to the suspension, it must go over the pits and get a modification plate.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Rossco,

He s really only talking about a 2" lift and I don't think he needs a mod plate in NSW for that?

In relation to your part numbers I can't comment but recommend that you talk to your local ARB about the suitability of these part numbers.

Your air bags will allow you to run a lighter gauge spring in the rear as when towing you can inflate the bags. The weight of your camper does not come into it as its only the ball weight that to should consider. The ball weight will be dealt with by the bags.

Don't do the caster bushes! Leave the Nissan Rubber bushes in place. No caster correction should be required and its on a car by car basis that this should be decided.

Maybe a brake bias plate for the rear and you may or may not need sway bar extensions.

OME all the way mate.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 16th May 2013 at 07:27 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AusDave (17th May 2013), DX grunt (16th May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AusDave View Post
    Hi all,

This is my first contribution to this forum, although I have read many posts on many topics and find it an invaluable source of good information.

I also realise that there are already many posts on this topic. My info and questions are fairly specific, so please forgive me if it seems like it is similar to other posts.

I have a 2003 GU Nissan Patrol 4.2 (6 cyl). When I bought it, it was fitted with Old Man Emu shocks, but I think it still has factory springs. It was also fitted with PolyAir bags on the rear.

It has a factory steel bar on it and I have purchased a Tigerz11 12,000lb winch with Dyneema that I want to fit to it. I also want to fit a 2 inch lift to the vehicle.

I just want to receive some confirmation from people that my ideas are correct.

It currently has OME 60012 shocks on the front which, from the info I can find, appear to be suited to having no bull bar or only an alloy bull bar. As I have a steel bar and want to fit a winch, it seems I need OME 60013 shocks (assuming I want to stick with OME). Is this correct?

On the rear, it currently has OME 60015 shocks, which are apparently suited to rear loads of 200kg to 400kg plus. Are these loads specifying the load carried in the rear only? I have a pair of Outback drawers and, when camping, carry a 40 litre Engel fridge, as well as some camping gear.

I also tow a camper trailer that is said to weigh 600kg out of the factory, but is obviously loaded with plenty of additional gear. Most of our camping gear is carried in the camper, so that the car really has the car stuff, bags of clothing, fridge, the drawers and some other odds. The camper carries the rest. When the water tank is filled (80 litre), two jerrys added, two 4.5kg gas bottles attached, plus battery, and camping gear, etc, I reckon the camper would weigh in around a tonne (should probably get it weighed when loaded). Weight at the towbar is about 120kg.

My assumptions are:
    1. I should upgrade front shocks to OME 60013 to suit weight of steel bull bar and winch.
    2. I can retain the OME 60015 shocks in the rear, but could scale back to slightly less heavy-duty ones such as 60014.
    3. The air bags would allow me scale back to the 60014 and would therefore provide a slightly softer ride day-to-day but I could pump up the air bags to provide additional weight carrying capacity when loading it up, going camping and/or towing the camper trailer.
    4. I should fit OME 2971 coil springs on the front.
    5. I should fit OME 2981 coil springs on the rear if I stick with the 60015 shocks, OR
    6. I should fit OME 2980 coil springs on the rear if I scale back to 60015 shocks.
    7. I should fit a steering damper (such as OMESD01).
    8. I should fit a caster correction kit (such as OMECA77B).
    9. The 50mm packers that came with my air bags should be fitted to suit the 2 inch lift.
    10. There is a possibility I will need coil trim packers?
    11. I don’t need to fit or change control arms, drag link, panhard, offset radius arm bush kit, steering shaft extension, tie rods, brake hoses, brake bias kit

Last question is: How likely are the rear coil mount cracking issues? Is it worth getting this strengthened at the same time?

I would appreciate any feedback on whether people agree (or not) with my assumptions listed above. Just looking for some confirmation (or correction) before I go and spend any money.

Many thanks,

Dave.

I dont know what the part numbers mean.

I would load the vehicle up and go over a public weighbride weigh the front ,rear and the whole thing then go back to arb with the weights, they should give you the right parts

it wont hurt brace the rear coils tower, most bolt on jobs are designed around a body lift, you may nee to weld some on

there are a few scrap metat merchants around they should have a public weighbridge, what area of wollongong are you in
    Last edited by Ben-e-boy; 16th May 2013 at 07:58 PM.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hey Rossco,

He s really only talking about a 2" lift and I don't think he needs a mod plate in NSW for that?

In relation to your part numbers I can't comment but recommend that you talk to your local ARB about the suitability of these part numbers.

Your air bags will allow you to run a lighter gauge spring in the rear as when towing you can inflate the bags. The weight of your camper does not come into it as its only the ball weight that to should consider. The ball weight will be dealt with by the bags.

Don't do the caster bushes! Leave the Nissan Rubber bushes in place. No caster correction should be required and its on a car by car basis that this should be decided.

Maybe a brake bias plate for the rear and you may or may not need sway bar extensions.

OME all the way mate.
    Fully understand. In WA you need a mod plate if you do suspension work.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I forgot about that bit of his question.

Superior Engineering do a bolt in brace kit for the GU that can be fitted without a Body Lift. If your looking to do a lot or offroad towing and loaded touring over corrugations then its well worth considering
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AusDave (17th May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said in the previous post that they are designed around body lift... that is wrong

http://www.superiorengineering.com.a...ducts_id=10673
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

AusDave (17th May 2013), MudRunnerTD (16th May 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. Some great info and suggestions there. Really appreciate your time.

Dave.