Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: GU Second glove box mod DIY!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa I think I will need you to cut one out for me and post it over, I can cover it and screw it together, that's about the only way I will get mine done. Btw looks great!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    Cuppa I think I will need you to cut one out for me and post it over, I can cover it and screw it together, that's about the only way I will get mine done. Btw looks great!
    Yeah right! Dream on mate!
    I had under estimated how much stuffing around is involved. Today I reckon I've spent another 3 hours just 'adjusting' things (cutting, drilling, sanding) to get the whole thing to sit right with the two screw on sections in place. Plus the top four screws which hold the original glovebox on were pushing up the bottom of the new one. All sorted now but enough of a hassle to make it a definite one off! And things could still go pear shaped whilst covering it with fabric ..... & I haven't even started on the door yet!

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Stropp (28th May 2013)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thats IT!!! I now have to rip mine out and start all over again...
    Stopp. Once you get started its not really that hard to do. It's just starting it is the issue. Getting over the nerves of cutting into your dash. But once that first cut is done you get more into it as you can't turn back after that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Stropp (28th May 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Thats IT!!! I now have to rip mine out and start all over again...
    Stopp. Once you get started its not really that hard to do. It's just starting it is the issue. Getting over the nerves of cutting into your dash. But once that first cut is done you get more into it as you can't turn back after that.
    LOL.
    Agreed it's not hard, but it is fiddly & time consuming ....... but we all need things to keep us occupied eh?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ Cuppa Flat pack one here too please
    Meaning all we need is dimentions of all the pieces
    to glue and screw together. like blue prints.
    No point 8 ppl doing 8 different sizes
    Me I'd be fibre glassing all that now and giving it a final shaping [sand]
    Edited again is it 9 odd pieces I counted
    Last edited by threedogs; 27th May 2013 at 05:22 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TD, ya gotta understand the way in which I work! I make it up as I go along..... except in this instance I've borrowed heavily on Mudski's previous & documented experience. I could measure up all the pieces of cardboard I had for the mock up, I could even reproduce them on card or similar........ but they would be of no help to anybody because since cutting out the shapes & fitting them together, most of them have been altered again.... And they don't come apart.

And ya gotta learn to count ...... there's 13 pieces. (14 if you include the packing piece) ..... & that doesn't include the piece of auminium angle I cut but forgot to use 'cos i'd already glued & nailed before I found it laying in the foot well .

As for fibreglassing, I'll pass ................ & wait to see what you can come up with.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Would've been a starting place but no biggie, there has to be a product out there similar to POR15 that you can brush over the lot
    or varnish and spray with Chook shite. Carpet to me is for Hot rods Still ok but has to be some product out there.
    Did alright on my guzintas and take aways too
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    TD, ya gotta understand the way in which I work! I make it up as I go along..... except in this instance I've borrowed heavily on Mudski's previous & documented experience. I could measure up all the pieces of cardboard I had for the mock up, I could even reproduce them on card or similar........ but they would be of no help to anybody because since cutting out the shapes & fitting them together, most of them have been altered again.... And they don't come apart.

Cuppa
    ^^^^^^
    This.
    Same as mine. Even with the sizes it gets altered here and there. Even do what I did cuppa and write the measurements on the wood and take photos. Then people can make their own judgement. As for fibre glassing. A bit too far I reckon. Especially if your going to line the inside of it. Thats why mine looked like a dog's breakfast without the carpet lining. With the lining it looks almost factory. Who cares what it looks like from behind, you won't see it. You don't look at the mantle piece while your stoking the fire...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should've used the carpet rather than the thinner 'Spotlight' fabric. Being thin wasn't the issue, but rather the fact that it's surface has a raised parallel rib pattern meaning that far more care is required to get things sitting right. Easier said than done on a complex 3D shape. I wasn't born to be an upholsterer (or a dressmaker)! Took me most of the day stuffing around with this (in between herding sheep with newborn lambs around which is only slightly easier than herding cats). I'm reasonably happy with the result, although the black screw caps are more prominent on the fabric than I'd hoped. There will be another 3 at the back when the box is fitted in place which unfortunately don't line up the others. Maybe I'll do without the black caps? If doing it again (which I won't be) I'd choose black rather than 'Charcoal'covering. There is a lip at the front of the rear shelf, but it's hard to see in the pic. Socket is a USB port for charging the iPad.
    Flaps of fabric at bottom front & sides are to be finished once box is installed.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (17th January 2014)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the local upholsterer/trimmer for offcuts. That is literally how much you will use. Potentially free as well.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast