The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Right Hows this for idea, Kallen touched on it from another thread, Make a block of timber to suit the space
    required. Smooth it all up and go get a heap vacuum formed, each one is perfect fit and Identical to next one.
    Price wise I would guess very inexpensive, and strong, ideal for this application.
    You can pick colour thickness ,what ever, I had heaps made and used as a Map pocket. will put pic shortely
    Dunno what your quite getting at there TD. The box I made is very strong. I stood on it after I had it all together. I ani't gonna bust in a hurry.
    Are you talking about Vinyl wrap? Like on kitchen and vanities? If so thats not cheap to do. When I did my bathroom I custom built my own vanity and had it vinyl wrapped. Not cheap at all.

@ Mudski ,no haven't seen these locks,
    I'll follow Cuppa, he seems to going along ok
    Heres pic of Map pocket you basically put a square piece of timber of desired size on machine,
    cut in half and trim, was very handy in street directory days
    You need to get some carpet on that or cover it I reckon.I'll see if I can find the said lock and take a pic.
    Anyhow I put in a little barrier I suppose you call it. At the front so nothing will lean against the door and push it open. Its only 25mm high, took a whole 5 minutes to make and fit. I might even make it smaller if I think its too much. Hard to see in the pic as the carpet blends together but it works well.
    20130524_123243 (Medium).jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having read & re-read Mudski's diy description I took off to Bunnings yesterday with shopping list in hand. Always a dangerous thing to do .... wander around Bunnings that is ..... I left with my wallet $171 lighter (having splashed out on a Bosch hot glue gun & a box of glue sticks which will probably last me for years), plus a goodly variety of other adhesives, 6mm MDF, nails, & the all important push to open magnetic catch etc etc.... and the usual couple of impulse buys of course! Then next door to Spotlight (how handy) to buy some fabric, I don't know what it's called, but very similar to the carpet that most folk use, but a bit thinner & more pliable. Cost about the same as the carpet in Bunnings. Then next door to Rays Outdoors (how handy again) to get some nylon coated fishing wire trace whilst managing to keep my impulse buying in check ..... my time in town was done...... back up the mountain to 'chez Cuppa'.

This morning I have been playing around with cardboard making a 'mock up' box. I've utilised some aluminium extrusion I had left over from the fitout in the Patrol's canopy which I cut down to make a sloping front section, giving the box a little extra depth & a 'lip' to stop stuff rolling out. I also used some aluminium angle to aid in the construction. This will provide a bit of bracing where needed as well as giving somewhere to screw the 'removable' sections to. There will be 3 sections, one main one which slips into the aperture, & two smaller sections which will screw in afterwards. This will mean that the wole thing remains removable should access behind it ever be required. A 4th piece may be needed across the top front to attach the magnetic catch to ..... haven't reached that stage yet.

I have also bought, courtesy of ebay, a Narva double USB outlet which will go into the box. No 'roof' on the box, as the extra height was required to fit the iPad inside, one of the main reasons for doing this mod .... a place to store the iPad out of the sun & out of view where it can remain on charge. A switch on the dash will operate the USB ports, so that the ignition doesn't need to be on. A small 'lip' will bee attached somehow to the front of the upper rear shelf.

So far so good ...... how cardboard will translate into MDF remains to be seen, let alone covering the lot. I think a total of 9 screws will be needed to hold it all in place. 3 for each section.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (26th May 2013), Cremulator (5th September 2020), GrumpyOldFart (25th May 2013), P4trol (25th May 2013), threedogs (25th May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ Mudski not saying your MDF is not strong, I'm sure it is all I'm trying to say is a Vacuum former would be ideal
    I foe example say Cuppa made his template solid timber, .It could then be placed on the former and any number made for anyone requiring one'

@ Cuppa great restraint we have supercheap ,Rays and Bunnings next to each other with Dan Murphy over the road lol.
    any chance of pic of the back of the new door before its covered, as looking at Mudski's might just be room to house
    a 7" screen and still be protected.

@ Cuppa again or just fibreglass your cardboard template lip on rear shelf included.
    Last edited by threedogs; 25th May 2013 at 04:46 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TD, I don't think your vacuum forming would work, at least not if you wanted a glovebox like I'm making. The problem is getting the 'box' in through the hole. This is why my one is not all one piece. Same reason why I couldn't fibreglass the rear shelf on..... it just wouldn't be possible to manouvre it into place. I am certain that this is the reason that the commercially available 'Department of the Interior' 2nd Glovebox is so much smaller than just about every diy glovebox.

I also want to make the box removable in case access to the heater/air con channels behind is ever needed, so fibreglassing bits on once in place is also not a viable option.

Have just come in for a cuppa whilst some contact adhesive goes off, will check dimensions of the front panel when I go out again.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks I thought the whole lot would just slide in and out, now does that mean the box part needs to be 2 piece
    and assembled once inside cavity, will continue watching, I like to watch, lol
    Hows that Cuppa having a cuppa lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now does that mean the box part needs to be 2 piece
    and assembled once inside cavity,
    3 pieces as I said earlier!
    Now here you go TD, don't say I never do anything for you.

Now get that saw out & start installing your screen.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (26th May 2013), threedogs (27th December 2013)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cuppa, just make sure the box your making doesn't sit too low and hit the other glove box. Prolly doesn't, just a heads up just in case.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice work there gents, looking forward to the end result.

Cheers

Remmy

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work Ian.... good to see you sharing your experiance as you go mate...!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copying the cardboard mock up into the more rigid MDF required a few 'adjustments here & there to get the box sitting right inside the dash aperture, had me sctatching my head for a while but it eventually came good with the addition of a strategically placed 3mm packing piece. Aluminium angle was attached to the MDF using contact adhesive (after roughing up both surfaces) & then riveted together. The top rear wall & the left hand side wall screw on once the box is in position.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (26th May 2013), FNQGU (17th January 2014)

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast