Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: GU Second glove box mod DIY!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well here's my progress today. Sounds like I've done pretty similar to you with that piece of steel, . The 'corner tabs' will no doubt make getting the box on a bit more difficult, but I thought they were worth a try, if all else fails I'll cut them off. I'm thinking that I'll try having the 'floor' of the box sloping down & then levelling out to make it deeper. I think it'll look better with a slope than with a sunken box in the middle of it like i've seen on a diy elsewhere, & should give a little more space. I'm also thinking that I may not put a top on the box because the extra height would be useful so I can discreetly leave the iPad in there charging, & the only way i could fit the iPad in would be without a top. Still haven't decide exactly how I'll go yet, may have to make a two part box & fix it together once inside the space. Still playing with cardboard mock ups.
    The bit that I'm most worried about is the hinge. There seems very little to attach it to, but knowing that you & others have successfully managed it gives me confidence that I'll manage.

My hole looks pretty much like your hole (which is hardly surprising) except for the two bottom corners.

The piece of steel with the section I cut out of it.

The piece of steel fitted back in, & rivetted to the plastic 'corner tabs, with the original glovebox replaced. Getting the almost hidden screw at the right hand end of the piece of steel screwed back in was achieved with a torch, a mirror & a piece of blu tack holding the screw on the end of the screwdriver & patience.
    The four screws holding the original glovebox that can be seen will screw into the 'box', holding it securely at the front ....I think.

Now to make a shopping list for Bunnings.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

threedogs (23rd May 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ Cuppa what did you cut it with?? 90 degree disc [AIR] or jig saw
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just need a hacksaw blade then clean it up with a sharp blade.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

threedogs (23rd May 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Couldn't do it , have no drill no cut policy on the GU, but will see how Cuppa turns out
    Slight bit of surface rust there too buddy.
    Last edited by threedogs; 23rd May 2013 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    @ Cuppa what did you cut it with?? 90 degree disc [AIR] or jig saw
    Neither TD. I made four small slots to get started with an angle grinder fitted with one of those very thin cut off discs, & then cut the rest with the hacksaw blade you can see on the floor in the last pic. The cutting disc needed very judicious use as the speed of the disc melts the plastic if held against it for more than a second or two. The slots were cut with several applications of the disc, & were only just enough to get the hacksaw blade into. I had several practice goes in the middle of the panel before cutting the final shape. Trimmed up with a stanley knife with new blade.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

threedogs (24th May 2013)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Couldn't do it , have no drill no cut policy on the GU, but will see how Cuppa turns out
    Slight bit of surface rust there too buddy.
    Huh! Whats the bloody difference. You make me laugh TD.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I make you laugh ,shite I make me laugh too,
    I have a B&D finger file which looks like it'll come in handy
    if I decide to do it, good thing my BFF and 2nd BFF were
    head of sheetmetal dept at large Aust airline, Piece of cake for them,
    my only concern is the lock arrangement. A great use of otherwise wasted space.
    Now I can see what it looks like a 7" screen looks like it'll fit nicely, for nav and dvd
    when travelling

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Ian... I have one of those new fangle cuting blade type things that look like an angle grinder and they are bloody handy!!

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I make you laugh ,shite I make me laugh too,
    I have a B&D finger file which looks like it'll come in handy
    if I decide to do it, good thing my BFF and 2nd BFF were
    head of sheetmetal dept at large Aust airline, Piece of cake for them,
    my only concern is the lock arrangement. A great use of otherwise wasted space.
    Now I can see what it looks like a 7" screen looks like it'll fit nicely, for nav and dvd
    when travelling
    You look to hard into things mate. Just do it.
    You want a brilliant hidden lock idea? Have you even seen those locks, commonly used in kitchens of the elderly? They are magnetic locks which cannot been seen from the outside of the door and the only way to unlock the door is pass a magnetic key over the lock on the outside of the door.

anyhow I found if you use a spinning type cutting device on plastic you melt it aswell as cut it and it gets messy.
    Last edited by mudski; 23rd May 2013 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Right Hows this for idea, Kallen touched on it from another thread, Make a block of timber to suit the space
    required. Smooth it all up and go get a heap vacuum formed, each one is perfect fit and Identical to next one.
    Price wise I would guess very inexpensive, and strong, ideal for this application.
    You can pick colour thickness ,what ever, I had heaps made and used as a Map pocket. will put pic shortely

@ Mudski ,no haven't seen these locks,
    I'll follow Cuppa, he seems to going along ok
    Heres pic of Map pocket you basically put a square piece of timber of desired size on machine,
    cut in half and trim, was very handy in street directory days
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 24th May 2013 at 12:50 PM.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast