The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

GU Second glove box mod DIY!!!

Ok after many contemplations on whether to do it or not as for many its a biggish task and if you stuff it up it will turn to poo!
    So here it is ladies and gents! Your step by step guide with sizing, (in the pictures albeit) but you will get the drift and can change things to suit.
    Also please excuse the quality of some pictures. I took everything with my phone so sometimes the camera didn't focus right, or where I wanted it to...
    Also if you DO have a passenger side front air bag, you can't do this mod.
    Parts you will require...

• 6mm MDF, a 600mm square sheet will do.
    • Nails. I used Florentine Bronze wall panels as they have the rough edge on them so they don't slip out. (See pic)

• Wire trace for the extension straps

• The latch and hinges. I used a magnetic catch used for a t.v cabinet( push to release style) This also came with hinges which I modified and used. Cost under $10 from Bunnings (See pic)
    • I then bought another magnetic catch and used the part that would on on the door as it had another magnet in it. It was stronger than just having a metal plate there to catch onto. (See above pic)
    • Marine Carpet. Use colour of your choice. I just went to Bunnings and it came in 2m lenghts, so I got 500mm x 2000mm piece for under $20.
    • Glue for the carpet. I used Gorilla Grip.
    • Small screws for attaching the wire straps.

Tools you will require

• Jigsaw
    • Cordless drill
    • Glue gun and plenty of glue sticks
    • Hammer
    • Measuring implement
    • Dremel ( Not a necessity but bloody handy)
    • Super Glue, Loctite 406 I used.

Consumables you will require

• Beer or bevo of your choice
    • Patience

Other advise you will require

• Take you time at it and it will work out great
    • REMEMBER! Measure Twice and cut once!
    • Imagine how you want it to look and envisage what you will do to make it look professional. And don't forget what you envisaged through the whole process. As for me anyway, if I do forget, the job won't turn out and look the way I want it too.

So off we go...

First was to remove the dummy air bag lid. to do this you need to remove the lower glove box and access the eight ( I think it is ) screws that secure the dummy lid. Once removed you will see the part of the dash you need to cut.
    The size I went for is 380mm wide by 120mm high. This left around 50mm or so spacing around the opening. This is totally up to you. But I though of keeping a lip there so when I carpet it I can fold the carpet outwards and glue it to the lip. I envisaged this
    Draw out the area you want to cut, then drill a few starter holes and I used a hacksaw blade and cut it out. Then cleaned up the cut with a blade.
    Once the cut piece is removed you will see the steel bar or brace there. This is what you will attach the box to. On the right side you will see a small metal bracket. Mine had nothing attached to it so I simply bent it up and back out of the way.

Next I just made a cardboard template just to see how it was to fit and what I wanted. Most of these I have seen on the net didn't have a top to the box, some had deep sections in the base of the box, some had shelves, some even had power sockets in there. It all up to you.
    Me. I went plain Jane. I might make another box down the track and add extra bits here and there.

Making the box. This is where the nerves kicked in as I'm no chippie and my cuts are rough at best.
    See the below pics of the box I made, it has sizes written on there, but remember! I'm no chippie. Use these sizes as a guide only.
    TOP, see the angled edge? This goes with the bend of the steel pipe...

[B]BOTTOM

I first cut the base to the total width of the whole. Then made the sides and back to the height of the hole. Then the lid.
    I WAS going to put the sides on top of the base but decided to put the sides, on the side of the base, for strength reasons. Top didn't matter. BUT, I then realised my base would be too wide for the whole now, with the two sides attached, by 12mm. So I trimmed the base, back and top to suit.
    I used packing tape to hold it together temporarily, then got the glue gun out, nails out and went for it.
    NOTE : Pre drill the MDF as it's 6mm and the nails will split the wood when you hammer the first nail in.
    Use plenty of glue. The more the merrier. Don't be scared with this part.

Once it was done it was time to see how it fit in the hole. A few minor adjustments to the whole and it was really snug. Its best to have the whole a little smaller so you can then make minor adjustments as if its too lose it won't fit right and piss you off.
    Mine was a bit of a struggle to get it in but it didn't want to come out which is good.
    I then used a drill and drill two holes through the back plate of the box and into the steel bar. Then used some flat head self tapping screws to attach the box to the bar.
    Once it was secure I got the Dremel out and cut the edges of the box to the contour of the dash. I didn't get too close to the contour as I want to sand it back for the final shaping

Once cut I removed the box and sanded it up a bit

I put it back in, and made sure I was satisfied with it, then removed it again ready for the carpet.
    I cut the carpet in Six sections.

1. Base
    2. Back
    3. Top
    4. Left side
    5. Right side
    6. Right, angled side

The base, back and sides is best to make them too long as after you have glued in it you can trim it off then. Just incase...
    I used the Gorilla Grip glue and the glue gun for the edges so it would peel. Well It shouldn't...
    Glued it up, stuffed it with newspaper and left it over night to dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mudski; 27th July 2016 at 03:52 PM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Barts (30th October 2019), beaST_01-dell (17th May 2013), Bloodyaussie (14th May 2013), BrettLynch73 (31st December 2021), Cremulator (5th September 2020), Cuppa (14th May 2013), Family4x4 (19th March 2015), MB (21st July 2022), Muttley (7th July 2013), New2town (1st April 2015), porkroll (31st July 2014), Robo (10th July 2014), Stropp (14th May 2013), trekster (14th May 2013)