Thread: roof consol help please

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

roof consol help please

i am looking at putting a roof console in my 91 GQ LWB but have no idea how to mount it or where to start with getting it to match the roof line.
    any tips or hits would be great
    Get out in the mud stay safe have fun come home in one piece

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Use the Mirror Mount in the middle. on both sides you can screw to the lining rail. through the lining though.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

crouchy1989 (20th May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Have a search ,I'm sure there would be something for you to get some Ideas.
    Keeps us updated please
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is actually f all on this sit for roof consoles.. I've looked as I'm making one to.. another thing to add to the growing list...

Um, if your keen to buy a bloke does boot in jobbies for a couple of hundred I think.

But if your handy with the tools $100 should see it threw.

Attachment points are the mirror point and original light..
    Imo great if not using it for heavy storage.. a couple of maps etc..
    If wanting to mount a uhf or head unit I'd suggest fixing to the roof beams.

If your after a neat install of electrical in it you'll need to put in.. pretty sure you have to remove part of the lining to run the wires across the roof and down the pillars.. could be wrong though.

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    There is actually f all on this sit for roof consoles.. I've looked as I'm making one to.. another thing to add to the growing list...

Um, if your keen to buy a bloke does boot in jobbies for a couple of hundred I think.

But if your handy with the tools $100 should see it threw.

Attachment points are the mirror point and original light..
    Imo great if not using it for heavy storage.. a couple of maps etc..
    If wanting to mount a uhf or head unit I'd suggest fixing to the roof beams.

If your after a neat install of electrical in it you'll need to put in.. pretty sure you have to remove part of the lining to run the wires across the roof and down the pillars.. could be wrong though.

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    What Kallen is referring too is for a roof console running down the middle of the car so you use the mirror mount and the central interior light mount and move your light into the overhead console. Good for a screen for the kids too.

In my GQ I have one that goes across the car and gives a stash spot above the driver and passenger and a bigger central spot. Good for maps and phone and stuff. When it gets hard and steep though things can come flying out though

Mine I'd mounted to the mirror and the two outer rails. I have power running up the passenger A pillar and have a dual battery gauge installed there.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (13th May 2013), crouchy1989 (20th May 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Use the Mirror Mount in the middle. on both sides you can screw to the lining rail. through the lining though.
    thanks this is what I was after all a big help
    Plans have been slowed right down due to no job and my radiator decided it wants to leak. but have designed a set of draws as well now so sort a few issues out get some coin and let the construction begin.
    will put up designs for both roof console and draws
    Get out in the mud stay safe have fun come home in one piece

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My radator just went puts some gold flakes in it called "doneDeal" stopped leak straight away
    off topic sorry
    Dont use MDF for drawers use marine ply
    MDF useless if it gets wet
    Last edited by threedogs; 20th May 2013 at 06:56 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

13. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (21st May 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Three Dogs,
    thinking about building my own roof console as well due to me wanting to put the head unit of a media center ( not cd ) up top, i am going to modify my dash to fit a ipad,, so the question is...
    is MDF ok to use on the roof console? mainly for the ease of shaping etc.... or will it fall apart?
    i was going to buy a black widow console but any thing that is mounted is only held by tape,, not real good for rough roads...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgreen View Post
    Hey Three Dogs,
    thinking about building my own roof console as well due to me wanting to put the head unit of a media center ( not cd ) up top, i am going to modify my dash to fit a ipad,, so the question is...
    is MDF ok to use on the roof console? mainly for the ease of shaping etc.... or will it fall apart?
    i was going to buy a black widow console but any thing that is mounted is only held by tape,, not real good for rough roads...
    MDF will be fine mate. Glue and screw. 6mm will be fine for an overhead console and will keep,the weight down.

MDF is ok for rear drawers as long as you paint it and don't make a habit of sitting in bog holes and swamping your car.

If your making the drawers from scratch though and if your paying for the materials then 12mm ply for the drawer sides and 15mm for the bottom of the drawers and the top of the unit are a winner. Again, glue and screw and your on a winner

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    MDF will be fine mate. Glue and screw. 6mm will be fine for an overhead console and will keep,the weight down.

MDF is ok for rear drawers as long as you paint it and don't make a habit of sitting in bog holes and swamping your car.

If your making the drawers from scratch though and if your paying for the materials then 12mm ply for the drawer sides and 15mm for the bottom of the drawers and the top of the unit are a winner. Again, glue and screw and your on a winner

I never plan to sit in the bottom of bogholes .....it just happens
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Malgreen (22nd May 2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast