Thread: My Steering Vibration fix

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Steering Vibration fix

Rummaging through the forums and finding information for little fix's to my GU4's loose steering I found out how to adjust the steering box. Now my roll is kept in good nic and my steering components and bearings are pretty good. So I decided to give this adjustment a go. What a difference it made, all of the steering vibrations virtually disappeared. These vibrations were really horrible at the Patrol 80's and when cornering. I did however have an alignment and balance before doing this. Little adjustments at a time until the steering was a little tight and felt like it was on rails, then backed it off until it felt nice and crisp just like a car.
    May not work for everybody but sure as hell fixed my Patrol. Brilliant!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pics! Vids! Details! would be awesome mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    X2 with MR and if you have a cure for baldness put that link up too please
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

5. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

jayisbikes (13th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    X2 with MR and if you have a cure for baldness put that link up too please
    Ask warnie TD I think it is called hair for men, yeh,yeh. LOL.....

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry it's taken a while, like I said this worked on my Patrol and as for yours I cant say, as for a cure for baldness i'll get to that later!!
    Like a lot of you my Patrol (2005 GU 3.0l) had the dreaded steering wobbles at around 80km/h. Pissed me off to no end.
    I was however confident that the suspension components were sound and nearly everything was tight. Like I said nearly
    everything!~I found that my wheel bearings were loose, so onto ebay to buy a wheel bearing tool and when I got it I
    tightened the bearings. this fixed the "wobble" a little but it was still there!! So I booked the car into a steering joint for an
    alignment and on car wheel balance. A little better again but still fricken irritating.
    So I wandered the pages of this forum and came across a few threads on tightening the steering box for steering wheel play.
    As I had a little play and some time I went and ginned around for a while.
    My apologies for not taking pic's but it was a very simple process.
    Just peel back the rubber guard under the drivers side wheel arch to reveal access to the steering box. On top there is a
    Lock Nut with internal bolt with flatblade slot in it(this is the adjuster bolt). I marked the position of the slotted bolt, loosened the lock nut and with a
    long flat bladed screwdriver tightened the bolt clockwise a half turn, this needs to be done from under the bonnet beside the battery and washer bottle,
    and then re tensioned the locknut, took it for a drive and decided it needed some more and kept going until the steering felt a little too tight
    then loosened of the adjuster until every thing felt nice and crisp.
    My steering felt brand new and to my amazement my steering wheel wobble has disappeared!!
    I can drive right through the 70 to 110 range and no vibrations. Not even whilst cornering so I'm rapped.
    The only technical information I can offer is that I used a 17mm ring spanner for the locknut and the longest screwdriver in my kit!
    Be careful to not get greedy and screw it up to much too soon, just a little at a time, as this may damage internal parts and does make the
    steering tight and this could lead to an accident!
    As for a cure for baldness I have none! But I do know of a preventative measure....but as you are already bald it's no use telling you
    to keep your hands in your pocket whilst at the computer!!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ptcb For This Useful Post:

Morton (23rd May 2013), MudRunnerTD (14th May 2013), threedogs (14th May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Did This on my other 4x4 and Knackered the steering box $350 c/o
    Cure for baldness is win tattslotto, Then who cares right, right
    I'll wait on the steering box fix, I do have wobbles, more so with the 305 MTZs
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been searching around for this specifically, as me and most of my friends with 80's Patrol experience quite some wobbling and shaking at 70-90 km/h - quite violently shaking actually. Anyhow, we've all encountered different problems causing this. Drive-shafts being dented, and especially with the 160/260 Patrol: when wheel and kingpin bearings being worn down.

I have checked all of it, and haven't found any issues - so I will have a look at the steering box when I come back home! Hopefully it will solve it.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might have a go at this, my GU has this filthy problem from day 1 that I got it although when I had a look on the front shockies I found this

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Naturally I fixed it hoping for the best and while it didn't get rid of the 80-90 problem it did get rid of the slight similar shimmy I had at 60

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just be carful when doing this it means that the steering box is wearing as all components do..... do not over tighten and keep a eye on it .

the case hardening on the adjuster will be gone and the metal will wear faster in the steering box
    I never go into the outback with out a decent supply of water,
    and the general rule for how much you'll need is three litres
    per day , per person, per man per degree over 25 degrees
    celcius, per kilometer if walking on foot, in the winter months
    dividing it by two, plus... another litre... at the end .... Russell Coight