Thread: GU 2nd gloveboxes again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cuppa,

I used the Department of the Interiors 2nd Glove Box Kit, but modified the door so it had two magnet push shut, click open latches.

No pics, as the car is now with its new long term owner in Bendigo. I know the owner and can ask for pics if it helps

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygtu View Post
    Hi Cuppa,

I used the Department of the Interiors 2nd Glove Box Kit, but modified the door so it had two magnet push shut, click open latches.

No pics, as the car is now with its new long term owner in Bendigo. I know the owner and can ask for pics if it helps

Mic
    Thanks Mic, details of the "two magnet push shut, click open latches" would be good if you can recall specifically what they were & where you got them. I'm kinda looking forward to building my own though, I reckon it's just taking that first step that's a bit daunting, 'cos once taken there's no going back.

I'm thinking that maybe it might be possible to use riv nuts & bolts to hinge the cover with, (I've got an air riv nut gun), but until I get started won't know if this is feasible or not.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haven't you read my walkthrough cups? I even took photos of said catches.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

taslucas (21st May 2013)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygtu View Post
    Hi Cuppa,

Mic
    I bought that kit too. Took one look at it, and put it back in the box and sold it. Way too small for the space that is actually available to use.
    Cuppa. Don't be scared mate. Just do it. The first cut was the hardest when I started, as once you do that cut, you can't stop.
    Follow my walkthrough, make adjustments to suit as you go and you'll be right. The hardest part was the hinge setup. Only because I wanted it that way, without using a piano hinge. But it paid off.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Haven't you read my walkthrough cups? I even took photos of said catches.
    Yeah course I have, was just wondering if there was an alternative catch worth considering.

I will do it, but me being me, I'll keep mulling it over & then one day I'll just dive in. I'm trying to work out in my head whether to use it as a project to carry out at the new Men's Shed, which is packed with every you beaut top of the range woodworking machines known to man. I've been trying to come up with a project to make joining worthwhile, but the reality is it would probably be easier just to do it at home with what I have.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That push shut, click open catch it what I used. Commonly used on the glass door of a t.v cabinet.
    Just do it Cuppa. Take the plunge. Take your time too and do it right. Its not as hard as you think. Just the hinge was a pain for me only because I wanted this way. MANY other people just screw a self tapper right through the lip of the lid and into the dash and use that as a hinge.

I suppose this mod to you is like understanding the solar panels to me is. Down right brain numbing.
    Last edited by mudski; 21st May 2013 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Just do it Cuppa. Take the plunge.

I suppose this mod to you is like understanding the solar panels to me is. Down right brain numbing.
    Nah, not really, after doing the bus fit out & the camper fit out I'm confident I can manage this. Your 'how to, is very helpful in understanding what is required before starting, but I fully expect that that whatever I end up doing will be a unique 'Cuppa Creation', just have to be in the right frame of mind to start it. At the moment there are a few other things I need to be thinking about, I like to have the 'space' to 'just get on with the job' for things like this, rather than fitting it in with a bit of time here & there. Spent over 4 hours chasing sheep & lambs this morning & almost as long out looking for a fox to shoot this arvo, & I still need to get out & cut more firewood to get us through winter. Yeah they are excuses. Had to do the sheep thing, but the rest can happen anytime. Just gotta be in the right mood.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12