Thread: Fitting a snorkel

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fitting a snorkel

Hi all

Have just fitted a snorkel and was wondering if the drain hole in the airbox needs to get blocked off? My assumption is yes, as leaving it open would defeat the purpose of having a snorkel in the first place. But happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes agree, i blocked mine off as well, i also found a very small factory hole in the plastic noise box (GU 4.5L petrol eng), so i encourage you to also test for air leaks after you are finished your install .
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

Parksy (10th May 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and there's me thinking that little hole was to let the water out :/
    Mine has a rubber gland in it and wont let air in, but does let water out.
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey mate what airbox are you talking about?

If theres the rubber gland under neath it then I would personally be leaving it open to drain water out. They are designed to let water out and not in. Could save your engine if the airbox fills up with water and has no where to go.

I used to seal mine up as well but I have left this new Patrol Docta one open and so far have had no water come inside the rubber gland.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Airbox is in a gq 4.2 efi engine. Don't think it has this gland nut that you speak of. Looks like a cone with a slit in the bottom of it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parksy View Post
    Looks like a cone with a slit in the bottom of it.
    Aye that sounds like the same as mine , leave it in mate
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by makeitfit View Post
    and there's me thinking that little hole was to let the water out :/
    Mine has a rubber gland in it and wont let air in, but does let water out.
    My take on it , is the drain is only designed for the exact same conditions as the factory airbox air intake, so i doubted its ability to keep water out when "submerged", (mine did not look like it would keep water out, and is located directly above the LF tyre), IMO ,just not worth risking it on a 14yr old bit of rubber located at 1M high.

That said, be interesting to see what Nissan instructions are with regard to this plug, such as when you buy a genuine factory snorkel, also do they say anything about maximum water depth after snorkel fitment ? (i know some people complain of the rivets holding the nissan badge on the side leaking water)

BTW, In the 4.5L set up, the drain tube that this plug is connected to, makes getting changing the aircleaner awkward (you have to remove airbox from its mounts), its very hard when you are trying to remove it and NOT disturb your inner gaurd silicone sealant (keeping your intake airtight) , blocking the drain off, also allows you to shorten the tube, so now i can change aircleaners easy without disturbing the seal/s.

Maybe its a 4.5L thing?
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    My take on it , is the drain is only designed for the exact same conditions as the factory airbox air intake, so i doubted its ability to keep water out when "submerged", (mine did not look like it would keep water out, and is located directly above the LF tyre), IMO ,just not worth risking it on a 14yr old bit of rubber located at 1M high.

That said, be interesting to see what Nissan instructions are with regard to this plug, such as when you buy a genuine factory snorkel, also do they say anything about maximum water depth after snorkel fitment ? (i know some people complain of the rivets holding the nissan badge on the side leaking water)

BTW, In the 4.5L set up, the drain tube that this plug is connected to, makes getting changing the aircleaner awkward (you have to remove airbox from its mounts), its very hard when you are trying to remove it and NOT disturb your inner gaurd silicone sealant (keeping your intake airtight) , blocking the drain off, also allows you to shorten the tube, so now i can change aircleaners easy without disturbing the seal/s.

Maybe its a 4.5L thing?
    On my 4.5 with no snorkel and stock hight, that gland didn't let any water in on the woods point trip earlier this year but saying that they where on only small river crossings and only splashed thru. I get what your saying bout removing the air box but a little twist and a push gets it off fairly easy but that plastic right angle tube that comes out of the guard would need to be changed anyway coz i don't know how water tight that olive really is with the expansion slits in it??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post
    On my 4.5 with no snorkel and stock hight, that gland didn't let any water in on the woods point trip earlier this year ??
    Your factory air intake will be sitting pretty much at the same height inside the gaurd, id be more worried about that sucking in water to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post
    that plastic right angle tube that comes out of the guard would need to be changed anyway coz i don't know how water tight that olive really is with the expansion slits in it??
    Exactly right mate, no way thats going to be water tight eh, i got rid of the factory spring clamp, and used some large rubber hose and hose clamps to join that area.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

Alitis007 (11th May 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I was wondering the same thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast