Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'91 GQ 4.2 Diesel DIY Servicing

Hi Guys,

Was just hoping to get some opinions/directions on DIY servicing of my Patrol. I've got the manual, but just wanted to get opinions from the experts on these forums :-)

I only recently purchased a '91 GQ Patrol 4.2 Diesel and it runs great as the only two owners were meticulous with their services, which I want to continue.

The first owner had it done by a mechanic (fair enough owning it from new) but the second owner that I know did it all himself, and I will also ask for his opinion but wanted to get involved with this forum too.

I will probably take it to a mechanic every 20'000k's or yearly, just to run over it but I don't want to pay for their labour more often than that when I can do it myself.

I have basic knowledge (enough to get this done) and just simply want to know, what oils/filters etc I need to replace and what else to look out for and how often? Also what type of filters, as the manual doesn't seem to specify clearly (it just has the genuine Nissan part numbers).

I am planning to change the transmission oil, engine oil & filter every 5000k's. Is this suitable?

What other things should I be doing to keep it running as well as it does?

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it.
    Josh

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the top.
    I drop engine oil every 5k, then filters and oil every 10k.
    Grease everything every 5k.
    I also run the hubs locked every now and then if I'm on the black top for long breaks just to get everything Nicky lubed..
    Then all diff, gear box cooling system as per manual.
    Mine is at half a million k's and still like new..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do engine oil, engine oil filters, and fuel filter every 5k. Air filter every 10k. Drive train oils every 20k. And all othe fluids coolant power steering etc would get done nearly yearly.

Greasing and tyre rotation also get don't every 5k with a bearing and brake check while they are off. Accessorie drive belts when they start to get noisy or are visually buggered.

There is plenty of good info on here mate. Just have a look around if you got some spare time that way you learn the site plus gain plenty of knowledge. Good to see you picked the best .

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh and as for filters most of the off the shelf stuff will be fine for it. I run all Donaldson filters through mine but I get them at a good price through work.