Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WANTED: standard Nissan 16" steel rims for GU

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I was just over a 4x4 shop this morning asking what everyone is choosing for tyres.
    He told me cooper st that looked like an AT tread in LT construction,
    He added further these have very strong side walls, meaning they stand up straight with little bulge.
    Its one of those potato ,potartoe things, but I would follow the lead of your fellow Podsters,
    who have done all the hard work for you, if it works dont change it
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Ok, let's see if I've got this right, I don't know why, but I'm really finding it hard to get my head around all this tyre/rim size business.

If I have it correct ...... 265/75 have a diameter of 808mm which = 31.8" and are 30mm wider than the 235's I have at present. So when someone talks about 31" they mean the same as 265/75's?? Yes?YES

So if I want to run 265/75’s I need to get rims that are offset enough to give clearance from the chassis to avoid as shown in Macca's pic? Yes? Yes but you will need wider wheels to go to wider tyres anyway

If I am correct, unfortunately this still leaves me confused. The clearance between my current tyres on Nissan split rims (I assume they are Nissan OE) is a good 70mm. Assuming that the split rims have the same offset as the tubeless Nissan OE rims, & that Macca's chassis rubbing issue was with tubeless Nissan OE rims, then it seems logical to me that fitting tyres that are just 30mm wider than those I have (and which have a smaller diameter - 808mm vs 815mm on the 235/85's) would only 'intrude' an additional 15mm into the 70mm clearance I have, thus leaving plenty of clearance.

The only explanations I can think of are
    A) the split rims have a different offset to the tubeless rims.
    B)Macca's rims were not OE Nissan
    C) my split rims are not OE Nissan
    D)Nissan OE rims come in varying offsets. (and widths)
    E) All of the above

Probably what would simplify things for me would be if someone could just tell me exactly what size 16" rims (width & offset) I need to run 265/75's on my truck without having the tyres stick out past the wheel arches any more than necessary & without rubbing on the chassis. .......... PRETTY PLEASE!

16x8, neg10-13 offset and some BFG 265/75 KM2's

And if anyone cares to comment on my inflation pics still, I'd appreciate it.

Ta,
    Cuppa
    Hopefully thats answers some for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Easy eh, and 16 x 8 rims will make your 265s stand up with a straighter side wall
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks NN.

After all that I did what I should have done in the first place and 'read the instructions'.
    Well almost.
    I had a look at the tyre placard which was fitted as part of the GVM upgrade.

Lo and behold - recommended tyre size 265/75 LT on 16 x 8 rims.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368166938.142713.jpg

Note that the rim size says 16x8 OJJ.
    What does the OJJ bit refer to? Is it something to do with offset?

My current rims have 16x5.5 OF stamped on them

I must admit I'm a bit gobsmacked at the recommended tyre pressure on the placard.
    350kPa is only 50psi

The pic posted of my tyres after I'd let some air out shows the tyres with 60psi.

As Telstra were running Bridgestone Dueller 661’s (the kuhmo's on the rear axle were fitted by the car yard, still have 661's on the front + the 2 spares) I looked at Bridgestones & thought perhaps the D694 LT's or their successor D697 LT's might be the go. Doubt I'll go for muddies whichever brand I get. Whatever I end up with I think it's gonna be a pretty expensive exercise getting 6 rims plus tyres.

Cuppa
    Last edited by Cuppa; 10th May 2013 at 05:18 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Thanks NN.

I must admit I'm a bit gobsmacked at the recommended tyre pressure on the placard.
    350kPa is only 50psi

Cuppa
    In what way? If its less than you intended that's because of the better weight distribution. If its higher then these are kinda like safety factors

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think the 0jj refers to rim construction.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just had a look. It does refer to construction. Refers to bead profile and design etc etc

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Telstra ute with the factory wide wheel pack (genuine Nissan steel wheels 16x8)
    rubbed on the chassis when flexing.

The leaf sprung ones all do it with the Nissan 16x8 wheels.
    [SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    In what way? If its less than you intended that's because of the better weight distribution. If its higher then these are kinda like safety factors
    The former. Seems the advice I had been given off forum about how the narrower the tyre the greater it's load carrying capacity was a crock of poo. As a result I was surprised when I realised that wider tyres could actually have a greater load capacity, & clearly the better weight distribution does indeed allow for lower pressures to be used.

As far as types of construction of rims goes (thanks for that info) I'm guessing that might be rather more esoteric knowledge than I need to have?

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GUtsy ute View Post
    My Telstra ute with the factory wide wheel pack (genuine Nissan steel wheels 16x8)
    rubbed on the chassis when flexing.

The leaf sprung ones all do it with the Nissan 16x8 wheels.
    So do you (or anyone else) know what the factory 16x8 offset is?

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast