Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WANTED: standard Nissan 16" steel rims for GU

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cuppa I fitted 16x8 black dynamic rims to my ute a few months ago ( $ 550.00 for 5 including changing my tyres over onto new rims + balancing ) didn't know about offset issues - only running 265's. Will have to wait & see if they touch chassis at full flex. I have been using BFG T/A's with an " E " ( 10 ply rating ) for a number of years & have had a good run out of them. Rated @ 1550 kgs @ 80 PSI ( ! ) . Wear well , good in wet on road , pretty useless in mud . I just sold my std rims this week because apparently I have got too much stuff. PS I kept 1 as an additional spare.
    Remember that a high IQ doesn't make up for a lack of common sense.
    Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is about the 70 psi, I've never heard of ppl running these pressures. So having said that I also think You have the wrong vehicle for what you want to do, point being your already maxed out at 4T and have a GMV upgrade and you haven't left yet. There is a 4 psi rule for tyre pressures say put 50 psi in and go for a drive if pressures are within 4PSI you're on the money. Not 100% on the 4 psi rule but its a ball park thing, and a lot of ppl use it .
    Its like what Bob said about towing EG my GU has Braked towing cap. of 2.5t so I buy a 2.5t caravan I'm maxed out before I start
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Ben-e-boy (10th May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The load capacity can still be had on the wider tyres but weight distribution will be much better as it is obviously over a larger area. Running 70psi is acceptable in some Tyres but I think it to be a little unsafe, that's a lot of pressure especially with 4t of weight sitting on them. The wider Tyres will transform the ride again cuppa plus with your weight I would want to be going wider to aid with stability. If you stick to a 265 or 285 your fuel economy won't change much if any, this comes down to what I said earlier your current setup has a lot more kg to surface area contact on the road but are a lighter combo. The wider Tyres have less kg to contact area but are a slightly heavier combo. So your very much in the same boat either way you go. If this doesn't make sense pm me your number and I can explain.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you say makes sense NN, & from my reading on the 'net last night it seems that 265’s generally have the highest load rating of all sizes, so it seems to make sense to go to that size. I'm still not yet clear what width rims I'd need for these, or indeed what offset given what Macca has said about our leaf sprung models.

Also unsure if fitting 265’s would require me to fit flares on the front guards (no problem on the rear).Presumably this might depend upon what offset rims I got??

Yes TD, 68 psi does sound high, but the tyres are rated to 80 psi cold. I do reduce this a bit when I take out some of the weight.

Cuppa

Ps. Wish I'd taken a pic - the bloke I swapped seats with rocked up in his TDi ST ute, with custom flat tray, wearing wheels he had built himself (he builds & diplays monster trucks for a living). The tyres he had on it were huge - 36"x12". Like a mini monster truck in itself. Very smart, but possibly a tad over the top for an everyday car which won't see much off road work, but he has enjoyed building & running it, & that's what it's all about.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    What you say makes sense NN, & from my reading on the 'net last night it seems that 265’s generally have the highest load rating of all sizes, so it seems to make sense to go to that size. I'm still not yet clear what width rims I'd need for these, or indeed what offset given what Macca has said about our leaf sprung models.

Also unsure if fitting 265’s would require me to fit flares on the front guards (no problem on the rear).Presumably this might depend upon what offset rims I got??

Yes TD, 68 psi does sound high, but the tyres are rated to 80 psi cold. I do reduce this a bit when I take out some of the weight.

Cuppa

Ps. Wish I'd taken a pic - the bloke I swapped seats with rocked up in his TDi ST ute, with custom flat tray, wearing wheels he had built himself (he builds & diplays monster trucks for a living). The tyres he had on it were huge - 36"x12". Like a mini monster truck in itself. Very smart, but possibly a tad over the top for an everyday car which won't see much off road work, but he has enjoyed building & running it, & that's what it's all about.
    Is that the guy from hazelwood north who owns devils taxi and a few other monster trucks?

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah a Mate of runs 33's on 8" neg10 wheels on his dx leaf rear ute with no scrubbing issues. They are 12.5 wide

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep that's the bloke Winnie.

I posted a reply a short time ago showing some pics (then deleted the post) of my rear tyres, & when looking at them thought that perhaps they did look a bit over inflated, so I've reduced the pressure and taken some more pics.
    Anyone care to comment on whether they look under/over or about right in regards to inflation pressure now?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368159620.504147.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368159646.194772.jpg

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I was talking about with 31"

Last edited by macca; 10th May 2013 at 03:03 PM.
    Cheers
    Macca

11. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

nissannewby (10th May 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, let's see if I've got this right, I don't know why, but I'm really finding it hard to get my head around all this tyre/rim size business.

If I have it correct ...... 265/75 have a diameter of 808mm which = 31.8" and are 30mm wider than the 235's I have at present. So when someone talks about 31" they mean the same as 265/75's?? Yes?

So if I want to run 265/75’s I need to get rims that are offset enough to give clearance from the chassis to avoid as shown in Macca's pic? Yes?

If I am correct, unfortunately this still leaves me confused. The clearance between my current tyres on Nissan split rims (I assume they are Nissan OE) is a good 70mm. Assuming that the split rims have the same offset as the tubeless Nissan OE rims, & that Macca's chassis rubbing issue was with tubeless Nissan OE rims, then it seems logical to me that fitting tyres that are just 30mm wider than those I have (and which have a smaller diameter - 808mm vs 815mm on the 235/85's) would only 'intrude' an additional 15mm into the 70mm clearance I have, thus leaving plenty of clearance.

The only explanations I can think of are
    A) the split rims have a different offset to the tubeless rims.
    B)Macca's rims were not OE Nissan
    C) my split rims are not OE Nissan
    D)Nissan OE rims come in varying offsets. (and widths)
    E) I'm pretty thick & missing something obvious.

Probably what would simplify things for me would be if someone could just tell me exactly what size 16" rims (width & offset) I need to run 265/75's on my truck without having the tyres stick out past the wheel arches any more than necessary & without rubbing on the chassis. .......... PRETTY PLEASE!

And if anyone cares to comment on my inflation pics still, I'd appreciate it.

Ta,
    Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Yep that's the bloke Winnie.

I posted a reply a short time ago showing some pics (then deleted the post) of my rear tyres, & when looking at them thought that perhaps they did look a bit over inflated, so I've reduced the pressure and taken some more pics.
    Anyone care to comment on whether they look under/over or about right in regards to inflation pressure now?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368159620.504147.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368159646.194772.jpg

Cuppa
    Looks acceptable cuppa. As 3D said take it for a run. If tyre pressures dont move much all but if they raise considerably you may need to raise them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast