Thread: WANTED: standard Nissan 16" steel rims for GU

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WANTED: standard Nissan 16" steel rims for GU

I would like to replace my split rim/tubed rims with tubeless. I'll need 6 all up. Am watching eBay for some not too far away at a reasonable price, but if you have some gathering dust let me know. I'm in Gippsland, Vic.

Thanks
    Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

For some reason Patrol rims are expensive as anything, Are you after OE steel rims 16x8 .
    As a set of mags may be cheaper but no good for your intended use,
    Have you priced a set of sunnies.? If you know size and offset I'll make a few calls
    and see what prices are available, thinking black King rims
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure that the OE rims are 16x8? The is size I want are whatever the OE rims are. Have decided to stick with the 'cheesecutters' as I believe them to be better for carrying the load I have, & I'm not intending to play in the mud. This size was Telstra's choice, & my intended usage is similar. However I would like o go tubeless for easier puncture repair & the ability to lower the pressures a bit more that with tubed.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am looking into some ROH rims for you but will probably only be able to get black??

Sorry for slackness in reply.... my brain is spinning around move out of my way............ yeah I know??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Think you'll find the DX came out with the 16x6 rims from nissan not Telstra.
    You might find you have better load carrying capacity with 16x8, in LT conctruction.
    Having said that you can get up to 10 ply in 16x6 but few options on pattern, IMO I'd be going
    16x8 which everyman and his dog use with 285s ,100% to find a carcass if the pickings get slim
    Split rims old school but open to debate ,plus dangerous if not paying attention

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PM sent BA.

TD, my point was that Telstra used the 16x6 split rims, & that their usage, predominantly on outback roads carrying heavy loads is similar to what I intend to do. I'm sure that if they had considered going to wider rims/tyres was beneficial they would have done so.

I was told last night that I will get better load carrying capacity in tyres to fit the 16x6 than for the 16x8. Eg. 7.50x16’s as well as the 235/85 I currently have. Whatever tyres I get will be an AT type for touring, most likely in a LT construction. I'm running almost 70psi in the rears at the moment. Remember I am close to 4 tonnes fully loaded.

Cuppa
    Last edited by Cuppa; 9th May 2013 at 12:43 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think TDs point was that if something happens in the outback and you need another tyre or rim then the 8" wide ones are more commonly used and therefore easier to get hold of in remote areas. I can also see your logic in sticking with the dimensions Telstra decided to use (but they did also choose split rims)Another thing though: you might not go out looking for mud but it may end up being right there between you and your way out.
    In any case, going tubeless and getting rid of the split rims is a good idea.

FanTapstic!
    Hello from Under Down Under!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

threedogs (9th May 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

As Lucas says All I was saying nearly everyone uses 16" rims so in the event you may need a carcass it'll be easy to pick one up. Having lived and worked in remote Northern territory,
    we never threw away any 16" carcass, we patched and salvaged everything. Everything has/had a use. Gee miss that lifestyle.
    Split rims are a heavier rolling mass as well, so more pressure on your brakes, 70psi seems way too high but happy to be proven wrong.
    Only say that as ,as soon as you start travelling the pressure will go up even more, You're not allowing tyres to absorb any bumps
    must be like driving a bobcat

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the pressure recommended by our local Tyrepower after they saw how much the sidewalls were ballooning out. Actually I'm running slightly less (68psi) which transformed he handling. 40psi in the front.
    I hear what you are saying about availability in remote areas, trouble is I'm being given conflicting advice. Other folk (off forum) have said the same about the availability of 7.50 x16 as you have said about 16x8’s.
    Have also been told that fuel economy will be better with the narrower tyres.

It'd be so much easier if everyone agreed!

Cuppa

Ps. Can anyone tell me what 16x8 LT tyres (ie with sufficient load carrying capacity) are available with an AT tread pattern?
    Last edited by Cuppa; 9th May 2013 at 07:23 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cuppa if you do change to a 16 x 8 be aware these utes like yours & mine with the stock rim (+13mm) & 265's have the rear tyre touch the chassis when articulating at extreme of that travel.
    When I put 285's on I got hold of some ROH BlakTrak for $103.00 each at -10mm offset. They have never touched the chassis rail since.
    Mine is the wide wheel model with OEM flares so you may need to head that way as well.
    Bloody hard to work all of this out, good luck old mate.
    Cheers
    Macca

13. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

threedogs (10th May 2013)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast