Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual battery system

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dual battery system

Ok, I'm ready to buy a dual battery system but have been quoted $1000 bucks for complete system and installation but not sure if this is too much to be paying?

If so ill buy everything myself and have my dad help me install.. What can you recommend as a decent system that I need to be buying and which aux battery?

Ta!

I am made up of the following parts.. Black Irish / Gypsy / Tattoo's and Grumpiness.. and this was sent from my phone using Tapatalk!
    Black Irish with an English twist / Gypsy / Tattoo's and loaded full of Grumpiness.. I blog my paintings and other random bits on Billy Bleed

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Way too much Billy have a look at the Redarc Dual battery controller less than $100.
    Pm and we'll see what we can do about Battery cradle etc, OH just remembered youre dual fuel aren't you??
    Battery wise you'll need a 100AH Deep cycle sealed if possible {your choice}
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

billy bleed (8th May 2013)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a start it depends on what you really want for a system... do you just want a basic system that just keeps 2 batteries going or do you want something a bit smarter or do you want top of the line??

It is really pretty simple set up for the most part and with advice from some of our gurus you should breeze it in......

What car do you have for a start is a help to work out what battery you can fit plus if it is a late model then you probably have to go with a smarter dual system?

Yendor or Benny or the like can help just give a bit more information mate..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ BA Billy has a dual fuel GU I think so space under the bonnet is at a premium . The Gas system
    converter goes where 2nd battery should

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mate up the road has one with dual fuel and is pretty well decked out... will stick my nose under his bonnet!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup 3D has seen my 'basic' patrol - I cant find any space in the engine bay so was thinking a battery could be placed in the cargo area - i'm yet to decided between storage draws or space cases in the back but do want a fridge in the cargo bay for a start. i guess i would like to have something that i can upgrade as i work out what my needs are but at the moment it is to run a fridge off and charge laptops etc.. with the future needs seeing a compressor, some rear lights, etc..

what about being able to see how much charge i have and adding power sockets etc to be the cargo area - what will i need to consider in my budget?

would $500-$600 be enough for a nice easy to use system?

PS - I am not tech/mech minded at all and spend most of the time getting my arse dirty watching others whilst scratching my head!
    Black Irish with an English twist / Gypsy / Tattoo's and loaded full of Grumpiness.. I blog my paintings and other random bits on Billy Bleed

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hiya Billy Bleed,

A few Patrols ago I had a dual fuel petty as well and I put the 'Aux' Battery in the footwell of the third row behind the driver side rear seat.

$1,000 may seem a lot BUT it depends on what gear is being installed. As others have said you need to suss out what you want the Aux battery to do. Cables, protection and crimps to suit can be as expensive as the battery and dearer than the switching gear
    If it is for winching etc then you need heavy gauge leads, high CCA battery as the aux (or at worst all rounder battery) and high amperage relays/switching/fuse/CB protection.
    If it is purely for fridges/camping/low current draw etc then a deep cycle battery and much lighter cable is the go at a significant saving (remember you can manually swap the battery in emergency or use jumper leads to start). One of the smart charger DC/DC units on the market would be the best option in this case.

Ebay can be the cheapest source of gear and or kits Narva/Redarc/Projecta are all OK.
    You may need to get one or two terminations crimped by a sparkie but apart from that anyone with rudimentary skills can usually work out the instructions quite easily

At it's most basic it is hard to go past a Redarc VSR and a bit of battery/welding cable if you need high current (100 to 200 amps) or any of the 'smart' DC/DC chargers and automotive cable if you only want low current (say 25 amps).

$500 to $600 will get you a basic setup of Battery, Battery Box, Cables, Relay/Switching device, C/B's etc. Fitting will take a couple of hours
    Last edited by the evil twin; 8th May 2013 at 10:41 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (8th May 2013), billy bleed (8th May 2013), Bloodyaussie (8th May 2013), Outdbush (20th October 2013), pascal1 (14th June 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ Billy if you look in the archives a member did a neat battery install in the cargo area.
    Might be worth trying to find to see if it suits your needs,

15. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Billy,
    For a good quality battery and a good price check out Caterpillar, here is the catalogue: http://australia.cat.com/cda/files/3...ry%20Specs.pdf
    They are located just off the Western Ring Rd, Boundary Rd turn off. William Adams, I found them very helpful.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast