OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: GU II noise from front end when going into 4WD?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU II noise from front end when going into 4WD?

Hi all,

I test drove a 2000 GU II Auto today. Well kept, no rust, decent condition for it's age, very clean engine bay. Took it for a test drive. 2WD was fine. Thought I probably should test 4WD so stopped, put it in Neutral, engaged 4H, into drive, a fast and loud clack clack noise was coming from the front wheels area, even louder when braking. Tried 4L, same thing. Back into 2H, it's fine. Does this sound like CV joints? I'm not buying the car now but just interested if this is what it sounds like.

Also as a side note the radiator fan was cracked everywhere around the base between the fins. Is this a simple repair?

Dan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Im no expert but it does sound like cv's or the transfer case oil is shot.
    As for the fan. Common problem, no biggie. I take it that it's a 3lr. If so you can use the TB45 fan which is cheaper. By memory there's about 6mm in the offset. Im using one right now on my 3ltr.

I tapped that app...
    Last edited by mudski; 7th May 2013 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    were you on bitumen when you tried 4wd? Do GUII have auto locking hubs? Did it look like the vehicle had ever been used in 4wd or just a town car that may dried up?
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ Maybe could have manually locked the hubs and tried it to see if it was the same?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Im no expert but it does sound like cv's or the transfer case oil is shot.
    As for the fan. Common problem, no biggie. I take it that it's a 3lr. If so you can use the TB45 fan which is cheaper. By memory there's about 6mm in the offset. Im using one right now on my 3ltr.
    It was a TB45 model but good to know it's no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    were you on bitumen when you tried 4wd? Do GUII have auto locking hubs? Did it look like the vehicle had ever been used in 4wd or just a town car that may dried up?
    I was on bituman. The GU II does have auto locking hubs (the hubs had an auto and lock setting on the hub. You needed a spanner to change it though).
    It was used for mainly towing it seems as it had a tow bar and no signs of offroad use. Maybe dirt roads as it was a little dirty underneath. I'd say 4WD hadn't been used in a long time (if @ all).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite possible a hub sticking then, they make a clicking noise when they play up. Apparently they can be cleaned and lubricated to fix this issue.
    GUIII ZD30 Manual Wagon, OME 2" lift, 33" BFG AT's, Snorkel, Chip, 3" Redback Exh, Dual Batts, etc.
    KEEP OUR TRACKS LITTER FREE!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be the auto locking hub not properly engaging maybe brought by seldom-used or never been-used engagement. That clack sound usually comes out when disengaging the 4W is not successful which could be stopped by doing the full stop, slow reverse then move to 2W. Try doing that unlocking the 4W then drive shortly in 2W. At low speed, shift to 4W H. If clack sound will still come out, you need to stop and step out and check the auto hub if it deed locked out (an indicator is provided on the hub). If its locked, you got a damaged auto lock hub. But in either case bring a mechanic in.

If the clack sound disappeared, then it just failed to lock properly at your first try. It happens if 4W driving is not used for long while like 3 years or more.

The trasfercase would not make a clack sound. It sounds, " Grrrrrr". You can feel that if you hold the 4W shift knob.
    Last edited by alexx; 8th May 2013 at 03:26 PM.