OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longest shocks possible with a 2" lift ?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Longest shocks possible with a 2" lift ?

Gday guys, Ive got a mate with a GU coil cab, hes got a 2" lift with 6" shocks which makes it prety dam awesome offroad. Just wondering if anyone knows what the longest shocks are you can fit on a GU with a 2" lift ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tell him to unbolt the bottom mount of the shock and remove and then compress the shock to full closure? This will tell him how much up travel he has. Likely not very much! Probably bouncing off the closed shock already.

Be aware that he has achieve allot of down travel and reduced his up travel. His springs will have a tendancy to drop out and fall on the ground without retainers unless his is a leaf spring model.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say that's way to long already..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Tell him to unbolt the bottom mount of the shock and remove and then compress the shock to full closure? This will tell him how much up travel he has. Likely not very much! Probably bouncing off the closed shock already.

Be aware that he has achieve allot of down travel and reduced his up travel. His springs will have a tendancy to drop out and fall on the ground without retainers unless his is a leaf spring model.
    not only that he is probable maxing out the lower control arms and at full droop the rear wheel are trying to drive underneith the vehicle. lifting the vehicle and bouncing around.

Mtbrider4life
    I have a mate who has a GQ wagon with a 2 inch lift and 12 in coilovers. To fit them he has cut a whole in the floor and made a whole new shock tower, which is nearly level with the back seat. The sky is the limit aslong as long as it done right.
    If you are going to keep the original shock mounts you need to put it on a flex ramp or a forklift and flex it up. You need the compressed and extended lenghts of the shocks you want. try for 1/3rd up travel and 2/3rd down travel measure it against the distance between your shock mounts up and down travel.
    If you have too much droop on the standard length rear lower control arms, the arms will be at such an angle that when you apply power to that wheel it will try to drive under the vehicle. From this there is alot of pressure put on the chassis mount and it will actuall lift the vehicle. This will be more noticable when doing hill climbs. It will want to flip over backwards in some situations. In other situations it will just pig root because you are struggling to find traction
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (4th May 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive personally driven my mates patrol, its got 35" mud tyres and driving it along its almost as smooth as a babys bum, both on the tarmac and the dirt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrider4life View Post
    Ive personally driven my mates patrol, its got 35" mud tyres and driving it along its almost as smooth as a babys bum, both on the tarmac and the dirt
    what does that have to do with shock lengths?
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MudRunner said it reduces your up travel, but i didnt notice any difference in the ride quality

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And it does. But running big Tyres and heavy springs you not gonna get a harsh ride anyway. Go and jump it and see what happens when you use the shocks as bump stops.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    read my post mate. I didnt mention ride quality at all.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrider4life View Post
    MudRunner said it reduces your up travel, but i didnt notice any difference in the ride quality
    Take it for a drive and hit a few decent bumps and you will feel the shocks bottom out. It will be subtle but catastrophic to your shocks! I know this because I have done it, felt it, replaced it a couple of times.

As Newby said shocks make terrible Bump Stops! Consider this - if you have to extend your rear bump stops by 125mm to save your shocks and only have 145mm gap between you rear diff housing and you bump stop mount that means your bouncing off your shock or bump stop in 20mm of down travel! Not that good really.... But at least you have 6" lift shocks! Must be good. Not so much
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 6th May 2013 at 10:40 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Ben-e-boy (6th May 2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast