Thread: recovery points

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

recovery points

Fellas

With all this talk about rated recovery points i'm confused (it doesn't take much)...

My (still) shiny new patrol (GU7) has the big hook-y thing on the underside at the front - is this a rated recovery point?

Also, it has the ubiquitous hoop at the back (above the towbar), is this a recovery point?

Cheers

Jon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep to both Jon. The hook under the front (I assume still RHS on the 07 GU) is bolted straight into the chassis, as is the large U bolt on the rear under the barn doors. There are small loop tie down points also that are used for stabilising the car in transport (on a truck/boat etc) and should ABSOLUTELY NEVER be used as recovery points.

All the best.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

TheFlyingBadger (20th December 2010)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a occupational 4wd course a few weeks ago, and the guys there recommended that i swap the hook on the front from the drivers side to the passenger side. The theory there was that it stood a better chance of keeping any projectiles out of the drivers face that way. I've not unbolted it yet though

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of that also, but know no-one who has actually done it though - might be a few on the forum that can shed more light on it. It makes perfect sense to do so, but without going and crawling under the car, not sure if the inside of the chassis rail is plated to accomodate the bolts (on the LHS), not sure if the bolt holes are even there, etc, etc so it may involve some small modification, and would certainly need to be engineer approved (not a back yard job).

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing to do on the front is fit proper recovery points to both sides and use an equalizer strap so both chassis rails share the load. Front recovery points are available from Superior engineering, BBM motor sports, Macquarie 4X4 etc.

The loop in the middle of the rear bumper should never be used for snatching or heavy winching. Have a close look at the factory loop, they are very weak. BBM motor sports make a heavy duty recovery point that mounts in the same location. Personally I prefer to use a hitch receiver in the hayman reece towbar.

Which ever recovery point you use, regardless if you are winching or snatching, ALWAYS use a damper blanket over the cable or strap.

Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

AussieRoadHammer (1st May 2011), Bigrig (20th December 2010), Bob (29th April 2011), gibbon (3rd January 2011), LaughingBeagles (5th April 2015), my third 256 (23rd December 2010), Sir Roofy (20th December 2010), TheFlyingBadger (20th December 2010)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony - I forgot about the no snatchy snatchy off the back, but have to admit, I have winched off it though?? There you go - goes to show we learn something new all the time!! Thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    Have a close look at the factory loop, they are very weak.
    that was the main reason behind my asking the question, my first thought was that it looked very weak.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The factory front recovery point is very strong, but I have heard several reports of it straightening out in extreme cases. I have not heard any reports of it actually detaching from the vehicle like towballs do.

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    BBM motor sports make a heavy duty recovery point that mounts in the same location.
    I went to the BBM site, but it says that recovery loop is for the GQ. is the bolt spacing the same on the GU?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlyingBadger For This Useful Post:

Travel (29th July 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know yes, I'll check later.

Tony

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast