Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: recovery points

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good post TKN... Zactly, what I'm talking about. I was a NATA signatory in a Cal and Testing Lab in the 90"s

A bit of steel plate with a pair of bolts may as well be MA15+ rated and only used after 8:30 at night.

Rated equipment has a WWL (or SWL old school) which is then identified on the equipment or is manufactured against a minimum Standard and rated accordingly.

The "Nissan Hook" and the "XYZ plate" are equally unrated IMHO. Sure one "might" be stronger than the other but as too which one and what load you can apply, who the Hell knows... "Rated" Pfffft, yeah, right... until a manufacturer publishes, attaches or stamps a WWL rating on the gear so you can sue his rrrse if it fails, Rated it is not.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 7th January 2011 at 05:26 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    Here's what I have on DX grunt for front recovery points .... 2005 GU DX ute. I have a left and right hand side. I think they're sold in pairs only.

Just went to ARB (osbourne park) and they claimed they don't sell them as they are not allowed to fit them without the being properly engineered. I'll nip up to perth4x4 to see if ash has any in yet (he didnt a couple of weeks ago)
    Jon

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine in Mandurah. Ask Wayne.

Ross
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    I got mine in Mandurah. Ask Wayne.

Ross
    Cheers matey
    Jon

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a look at page GI 21 of the GQ (Y60) Nissan Factory Manual available on this site. The factory hooks, except for the pintle at the rear, are 'only for emergency' - dunno for sure whether that is for emergency tow truck towing, or for emergency out of mud etc. the rear pintle is stated not to be for towing another vehicle etc, but 'for emergency, i.e. when getting the vehicle out of the mud' -which one might think would carry across to the 'emergency' use of the hooks located elsewhere....... or not

Of course, those who remember the TV ads when the GQ replaced the mighty MQ, may recall that a station wagon appeared in a starring role towing a broken down ferry across a river, using of course that rear mounted point above the back step. I seem to recall there may have been a tojo on the ferry :-)

I'm pleased I had a look, because it seems I am to lift the front of my wagon on the trolley jack under the centre of the diff, as opposed to under the pumpkin - so that will make it quicker. However, old mate over the road with his ute will still have to jack up each side apparently........ see page GI - 17.

Speaking of jacks, as my GQ has factory 15" wheels, the factory jack does not [always] fit under the diff when a tyre is completely flat...... I have a tojo jack that is a bit more squat that fits nicely under the diff - must see if it will fit into the spot in the back if not may hunt around for a squat hydraulic jack [late update, the factory jack that came with my Mav has about 30 mm clearance under the diff when the tyre is flat, however I have had issues with the mate's GQ - tyre in the dirt, jack on the tar....]
    Last edited by Silver; 8th April 2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: checked clearance on the MAV factory jack

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does anyone know how strong the black hoop is on the back of a y60???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benzo View Post
    does anyone know how strong the black hoop is on the back of a y60???
    tie down point only DO NOT use this for anything in recovery
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are they hooks or holes cant see

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I transplanted this from DIY as it seems to fit better here

G'day,

Some questions below, and also a link to an interesting Kiwi site.

Thanks to all who have contributed here on this topic - fascinating.

I've been thinking about options for a second recovery point on the front of the Mav for a while now. It has 10R15 all terrain tyres, and rear lsd only, so will fail to proceed rather than dig humungous holes I think. At one stage I had Pirelli Dakkars on an MQ - they didn't dig holes and failed to proceed on wet grass, but were great in sand.

Anyhooo....

I have an 8000 kg breaking strain snatch strap, and an 8000kg bridle that I think is 2.5m long. thus the enclosed angle of the bridle will be a bit less than 45 degrees. with the benefit of hindsight, I could have got a longer bridle.

This Kiwi site has some interesting test results and thoughts, albeit a few years old now:

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewto...051e0d27cc4221 Note they like hooks etc. that straighten rather than break.

I have decided to fit an Outer Limits plate to the inside of the LHS dumb iron that is, the chassis behind the bull/bumper bar (alloy 'factory' bar in my case). I know to use grade 8.8 metric bolts - which are apparently similar to grade 5 in old scale. Strong but not too brittle

I was thinking of fitting a plate inside the chassis to spread the load. (there are no captive nuts on this side) I mentioned this to boilermaker mate who is keen to weld the nuts to the plate. I'll speak to the bolt shop about this as it can't help the temper of the nut, but I don't know if this is significant. It will make it easier to fit, but I don't plan on taking it off again :-)

Any views on the value of a plate over washers? Any views from experts on effect of welding the nuts?

I was not going to fit a hook to the spot on the Outer Limits plate, however if the mighty Mav is to be snatched, the snatcher has to be happy, and may insist on a hook. With that in mind I'll probably get a rated hook from a reputable outlet, and fit that to the Outer Limits plate

There are no signs of damage to the factory hook. The vehicle to date has been used to tow things, as far as I can tell, rather than off roading - and certainly I haven't belted or used it. Given I am going to use a bridle/equaliser, I am thinking of leaving the factory hook in place - would welcome your views.

Thanks in anticipation

MadK1w1 posted:

Silver I made my own plates from 12mm plate they bolt to the side of chassis rail where the bullbar bolts go and have both a hook bolted to them and a hole for a shacle to fit.
    I discussed with the Boily at work, lifting lugs require the radius of hole as the minimum "meat" from hole to edge, according to him and they lift 5plus tonne on this principle, no problem with this in my world.
    I am yet to see a rated SWL stamped on any recovery point supplied for a 4wd, could be wrong there, comes down to users if it looks dodgy don't use it! I'll grab some pics tomorrow if interested, still have one not fitted due to general mods going on.
    Last edited by Silver; 17th April 2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: seemed to fit better here, and added MadK1w1's input

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:

AB (13th April 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    found some of those two bolt hooks with a 4500kg W.L.L. marked on the packaging, so bought a couple to go onto my nice new recovery plates.

Nice to have a W.L.L. rather than some other ambiguous statement that may or may not mean the same thing!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast