Thread: 12V stove

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Doesn't use as much juice as you'd think, the element is very small, has a 15A fuse in it,
    Yep I read that in the specs. Pulling 10 amps is plenty to cause a fire if the wires supplying the cig lighter are too light. It is not reasonable to assume that if a cig lighter is rated at up to 10 amps that the wires supplying it are. It is also a bit suss that a 15 amp fuse is supplied for use with cig lighters rated for 10 amps. The fact that the supplied cable gets pretty warm is also not an indicator of a quality appliance. Still it's your car & your decision about what you choose to do mate. I still suggest that at the very least that you ensure the supply wires to the cig plug are as heavy as those you intend to upgrade the appliance cable to, & that you check the current rating of your particular cig lighter socket. The advantage of spending a few more dollars on quality Hella type socket & plug is that they have more contact surface & a more secure connection, making it less likely to overheat because of resistance from a poor connection.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 8,044 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Yep I read that in the specs. Pulling 10 amps is plenty to cause a fire if the wires supplying the cig lighter are too light. It is not reasonable to assume that if a cig lighter is rated at up to 10 amps that the wires supplying it are. It is also a bit suss that a 15 amp fuse is supplied for use with cig lighters rated for 10 amps. The fact that the supplied cable gets pretty warm is also not an indicator of a quality appliance. Still it's your car & your decision about what you choose to do mate. I still suggest that at the very least that you ensure the supply wires to the cig plug are as heavy as those you intend to upgrade the appliance cable to, & that you check the current rating of your particular cig lighter socket. The advantage of spending a few more dollars on quality Hella type socket & plug is that they have more contact surface & a more secure connection, making it less likely to overheat because of resistance from a poor connection.

Cuppa
    Agree with you Cuppa, through my work I have seen what happens when under rated plugs and wiring are used for high current devices, and 10 amps is high current for a car appliance.

I am thinking of buying one of these myself but will change the wiring and use an Anderson plug, will also only use it on aux battery when not running.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogman View Post
    Nearly half price.....same item......there is always a hefty markup on gear
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post

Cuppa
    I've got 2 cig sockets under the seat with 6mm cable running to them so I'll be right there

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with cuppa too. As a safety precaution I wouldn't use it on the standard cig plug on the dash.

Whoever gets one of these though can they give us a report back...lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, if you have heating on the leads then you have significant power (IR) loss in the leads, upgrading them to a larger csa will result in the device drawing even more power from your lighter socket. Although the result might be hotter pies quicker I would suggest measuring the current draw after the lead upgrade to make sure you are not overloading your vehicles wiring.
    1990 Ford Maverick LWB - BA XR6T powered.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well being a coeliac ( gluten intolerance) im up for one as i have to take food with me most of the time
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks good Winnie. Can you adjust the temperature?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing better than a travel buddy think I bought one last year at the 4x4 show for $150
    IF ITS NOT BROKEN IT MUST BE A PATROL

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Looks good Winnie. Can you adjust the temperature?
    Nope no adjustment

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast