Thread: My 83 Mq SWB-work in progress

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 83 Mq SWB-work in progress

Got this 1983 Mq SWB about February this year. Bloke had it listed for a buy it now price of $950, so I got it without looking first. By the look of the photo's on the listing I could have made my money back either way in parts and also seeing it had just had 6 months rego paid onto it. Went down to Camden to collect it from the sellers brother to find he was having a hard time starting it due to flat batteries, so in the commotion of trying to get it started I had a quick look and it seemed better than the pictures he had listed. Well, finally got it started and was told the batteries were just a bit flat seeing it had sat for around 12 months, the brother assured me they were fine and by looking at the volt gauge I could see the charge was ok, so I took his word for it.
    Drove it out the gates to find it had a bit of a wander in the steering, so I pulled over at the closest servo and pumped up the tyres to the correct psi, still there but got better.
    Got it home ( an hours drive away) and turned her off. Went to turn her back on and no go, so I chucked the batteries on the charger overnight and kept my fingers crossed. Next day still dead batteries, meaning unfortunately $400 needed for 2 batteries seeing its 24v. Called the seller and was told it was my bad luck even though the brother had told me they were fine. Took that on the chin.
    Then when I was fitting the supplied brand new vinyl flooring I noticed something was odd on the outside, turns out the bloke had listed it with a photo of 4 brand new Wrangler tyres on it yet the ones on it are cheap a** wangli and woosung. I didnt notice as they both have white writing on them and look similar from a glance. Called the seller up and he said that it was old photo's and he never said it had new wrangler tyres in the listing. Contacted ebay to make sure I was right legally and then called the seller back. Told him the photo makes part of the description and demanded a partial refund or 4 new wrangler tyres. We settled on $150 refund, so the car cost me $800.
    Since I have owned it I have painted the dash, installed an 8 ball gear knob, done both front wheel bearings, did and oil change, replaced the fuel filter, installed the vinyl flooring, cleaned up some rust, installed a stereo, installed Sony 6x9 4 ways in the rear and Poineer 6" 3 ways in the doors with custom spacers ( due to deep cone depth), installed Gq scuff plates and centre console, made a storage container for tools on one side and jack on the other, fitted an amp ( not yet hooked up), changed one of the white rims with a black deep dish one, installed some spotties, cleaned up some rust and undercoated her. Ive also started painting the bay, going for gloss black up top with Im thinking chrome down below.
    The engines an SD33 ( 3.3L diesel) and she has a 4 speed manual ( 5 speed in the cards when cash permits. Its running 31X10.5 r15's all round and looks to have had a lift. Its got relatively new Koni shocks, 7 tonne HD winch, k&n high flow air cleaner, new front pads, almost all rust cut out and rewelded by previous owner, rebuilt injector pump ( $2000 worth with receipt) the rest is stock as a rock.
    Plan is after the house move Ill replace the radiator support, install a redarc 10a charge equalizer for the stereo, replace the tyres, install extractors, replace the exhaust ( thinking 3" with dump pipe), install a snorkel, finish the spray ( going for gun metal grey), repaint the rims ( poor job done by previous owner), install a CB, finish off the interior, replace the front seats ( rears going to the tip) and rebuild the steering components ( mainly tie rod ends and drag link). Also need to replace the tail lights.
    She has 465,000km on her and still purr's like new so Ill leave the engine as is and maybe freshen a few things up. The wandering steering I think is from the draglink's ball joints, so that will need to be done very shortly. Apart from that she is a pleasure to drive and once the woes are ironed out she will be hitting the bush were its suppose to be.

Tie rod ends not the best

Draglink I think the wandering steering culprit

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up custom making the stereo fascia and wanted something to hold my phone so I could use its gps while driving. I got a holder with a charger attached from the reject shop but I wasent happy with the way it screwed into the cigarette lighter as it stuck out like dogs balls, so I decided to retrofit it to the fascia. When I broke the arm of the holder with being too heavy handed I thought f**k it. I opened the unit, removed the usb charger plug and the holder itself. Then I rewired the usb charger to run off the 12v accessory feed, mounted it to the fascia via a flat head bolt through the fascia with a rubber grommet to allow a bugger and also maintain the swivel motion. This is the result, not bad for a $4.99 holder. Works a charm
    Upright with usb charger seen clearly

Horizontally swiveled holder, usb accessed by opening the upright faced holder legs of the charger ( seen on the left

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good mate... plenty more to do!!!!!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon this sticker suits the Mq's SD33 too. Love it and had to have it when I seen it

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great use of wasted space, keep the pics coming, looks great
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    Looks good mate... plenty more to do!!!!!
    Thats it, but atleast when its done Ill know its done right. I would have started more heavily but we got 90 days notice to vacate our rental ( Landlord loved all the work I have done to the house, that much she decided to sell it), so I got what I could and could afford while saving for another house. Once the move takes place it will be steering complete replacement/rebuild and finish off interior. Then I will spend the spare cash on modding it more. I dont want a racer, just a practical and reliable off roader

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice buy mate, hope she comes together as expected and you enjoy every minute of fun she brings, and there will be alot!
    GQ Snorkle Lockers front n rear

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Great use of wasted space, keep the pics coming, looks great
    Thanks mate. I deadened and enclosed where the 6x9's are and could not stand that wonderful space just getting hidden behind trim. Its a work in progress. Im going to cover the visible parts after the trims done with Vinyl. Colour to be decided once the trim colour gets decided. Above the jack enclosure is 22mm MDF so I can screw through that and Im thinking about mounting a holder for my torch there or maybe a 4x4 jack. I am going to run the amp off a dc converter and also run a 3rd charge point up the back. It wont bother me if the amp runs off the dc as its only a small 60w rms X 4 channel amp. Ive got to get a 24v relay to connect the dc converter to the accessory feed before I wire the amp up. I was going to run another 12v battery or maybe a larger charge equalizer but for what it is and seeing the dc converter was in the Mq when I got it I may as well use it.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 89gqpatrol4x4 View Post
    nice buy mate, hope she comes together as expected and you enjoy every minute of fun she brings, and there will be alot!
    Yeah, cant wait to go bush with the dogs. Theres something wonderful hitting the beaten track, dogs in the back just on the search for nothing in particular.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a pic of one of my dogs. Im not into pigging, Id rather hunt them down and shoot them myself. My dogs are my mates, and less face it they whinge less than the Mrs and kids lol.
    This is one of them in front of my old D21 I had

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast