Thread: wacko speedo

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wacko speedo

The last two days its happened twice to me, yesterday when driving along I noticed mu speedo jump from 95 to 105 twice, when I stoped for fuel and started it the power light flashed several times then as soon as i drove off the speedo went off the scale, after turning the car on and off several times made no difference, as soon as I started to drive the speedo would go past 180 and sit on the peg, then driving along about 30 minutes later it came good again, today when driving to the dump, I didnt pay attention to the speedo jumping but it peged out to over 180 again, then after about a further 15 minutes driving it came good again, when I stoped at the dump and restarted no flash codes and it has behaved its self the rest of the day, appart from the speedo pegging out it drives and changes gears normally... could it be the TPS, or the speed sensor on the gear box? any advice appreicated..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not my area of expertise, but it sounds like a loose connection or something contacting the speedo input signal, giving it too much input voltage. Or a bad earth on gauge?
    Last edited by mudnut; 21st April 2013 at 04:42 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    no idea what you drive but I'd be checking all earths for starters
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had this issue with mine for some time now and I've asked on here with no satisfactory result. I've taken it to Auto Electricians and it behaves - nothing to fix.

I did get it to play up with one guy but his response was ' it's a faulty speed sensor and that's why your transmission is slipping' I knew that was crap because I've since spent 4k on a reco on the transmission.

I have found that it responds to the BTSOOI method of diagnosis and maintenance but it's not consistent. I've also had the binnacle unit out hoping to see a 'dry joint' or something loose but with no avail.

When you find what is wrong, let me know. For now I'm just putting up with it.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQsweep View Post
    I've had this issue with mine for some time now and I've asked on here with no satisfactory result. I've taken it to Auto Electricians and it behaves - nothing to fix.

I did get it to play up with one guy but his response was ' it's a faulty speed sensor and that's why your transmission is slipping' I knew that was crap because I've since spent 4k on a reco on the transmission.

I have found that it responds to the BTSOOI method of diagnosis and maintenance but it's not consistent. I've also had the binnacle unit out hoping to see a 'dry joint' or something loose but with no avail.

Tried unplugging speed sensor and it came good fir a little while, another guy might be on the mark with it being a dry joint in the cluster he said he pulled it out and re-soldered all joints and has worked perfect since, it will have to wait, just been diagnosed with bowl cancer so speedo will have to wait until after operation...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's bad news, mate. I hope your operation and treatments go well for you.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the BTSOOI method?

Quote Originally Posted by GQsweep View Post

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has just started doing the same. At fist it fixed it self when I gave the cluster a thump - now it intermittently fails and will not fix it self.

It only started after I removed the cluster 2 weeks ago.

Also when it fails the odometer also stops working.

I will have a look tomorrow as I believe its a faulty joint
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTSOOI - Beat The S##t Out Of It
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GQ TANK For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (26th September 2013)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled the dash apart and found cracked solder joints on the speedo pcb.

There are 5 screws that retain the pcb to the rear plain. The cracked solder joints where on a 3 pin regulator near the single mounting screw.

Will do some testing and see how it go's - I also put a hole in the top internal housing to enable me to tweak the speedo adjustment pot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast