User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ripper GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well today was a fun day. I took the transfer case out (and didn't die :-)

Broke one of my spanners before I even got the first tail shaft off, so I wasn't sure how the rest of it was going to go.
    Thankfully that was the worst part of it. Had some fun getting the handbrake drum off and the shoes out to release the cable. Tried a few contortions to get at some of the bolts around the case. Then realised it would be better to take the cover off the floor, and work from inside the cabin.

I'm very lucky my father's a keen welder. As soon as I started talking about how to handle the weight of the boxes, he started making tools to make it all easier.

Tomorrow I have to work out how to get the sensors out of the transmission so I can put them into the new box.
    1989 GQ LWB Wagon, TB42 Petrol/LPG Auto. Bought Dec 2010

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ripper For This Useful Post:

threedogs (17th March 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper View Post
    Well today was a fun day. I took the transfer case out (and didn't die :-)

Broke one of my spanners before I even got the first tail shaft off, so I wasn't sure how the rest of it was going to go.
    Thankfully that was the worst part of it. Had some fun getting the handbrake drum off and the shoes out to release the cable. Tried a few contortions to get at some of the bolts around the case. Then realised it would be better to take the cover off the floor, and work from inside the cabin.

I'm very lucky my father's a keen welder. As soon as I started talking about how to handle the weight of the boxes, he started making tools to make it all easier.

Tomorrow I have to work out how to get the sensors out of the transmission so I can put them into the new box.
    good work mate stay safe

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, just noticed how long ago I started pulling the transmission out, and it's been a problem from then up until 2 weeks ago. The dramas felt endless, but at long last it's fixed, and we can get back to enjoying it again.

Now I'm back to electrical upgrades. Doing a 1200 od Km trip towing an 8'x6' trailer in a couple of weeks, so I'm putting in a manual torque converter lockup so I can stay in 3rd gear and still keep the revs down. I'm basing it on Chaz's wiring diagram. Just doing some reading as final preparation for this, and realised I should do a line pressure resistor upgrade as well.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done mate.Thanks for the pics and the info.Much appreciated.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clean looking rig.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, almost 2 years since I updated this thread. Most of that time I've just been driving the GQ.
    About 6 months ago I bought a wreck for spares. It's got a really bad body, but a good engine, and it gives me somewhere handy to store the other Trol parts I've got.
    Recently I've been working on a few little things on our Trol.
    Fitted a set of air horns inside the bull bar. Modified the mountings of the relays next to the battery so I can fit a fuse panel and more relays into there. Started making up a wiring harness to go from there to the driving lights, thermo fan, and air horns, plus an upgrade of the wiring of the headlights, and a slightly crazy set up that will let me spray water in front of the radiator if fixing the fan clutch doesn't keep the engine cool while towing our van up hills.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ripper For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (17th March 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a question...where is your LPG tank located? I ask as I have purchased one and the tank is a 130 ltr under the rear but my fuel tank is only a 45 litre one. Any chance you could show us the fuel tank you have under the drivers side.

For anyone else that can help...are there other tanks I can use to increase my ULP capacity without moving the LPG tank into the cabin?

Thanks I. Advance...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our LPG tank is crossways under the back where the original petrol tank was CPOCSM.

Photos here
    Front
    Front Underneath
    Back
    Back Underneath

It's a bit slow to fill with ULP on some bowsers, so I guess they had trouble getting the filler tube to connect up smoothly. I've put 106 litres into the LPG tank, and I think 63 litres is the most I've put into the petrol tank in one go. Hope this helps.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ripper For This Useful Post:

Stropp (17th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ CPOCSM you could remove that 45lt tank and maybe fit a 75ltr AUX tank
    as the gas tank is where your main tank used to be, give Kevin a bell at Brown Davis
    you might be able to fit some hotdog tanks in the sills, like the Disco
    @ Ripper rock your Patrol when its nearly full and the AFL valve will rock allowing a few more litres
    Last edited by threedogs; 17th March 2014 at 01:55 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

14. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

ripper (17th March 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just confirmed I have the same tank and must be either a lock somewhere whilst I filled it or a faulty fuel sender. Probably the only way I am going to confirm it is measure the amount of fuel in it and refill it. The sender will be replaced to eliminate it all together.

Thank you so very much for your input. I had the LPG tank emptied to replace the sender and took 112 litres to refill it. I had driven 450km and was just on half full when the workshop emptied it. Not bad considering I drove it pretty hard coming home from picking it up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast