Thread: MQ vs GQ Wheel Carrier

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MQ vs GQ Wheel Carrier

Hi All

Considering a project. I want a dual wheel carrier for my GQ. Never see them come up second hand. I see heaps of MQ wheel carriers (mainly single - but a start) come up dirt cheap.

Can I fit an MQ carrier to a GQ. I know the chassy rails are different but how different. Could i put a spacer block in between and use big arse bolts, or would it be a case of rewelding the chassy mounts off the bar?

I do a bit of outback touring so whatever i do must be corrugation proof. I can't justify $2k-$3k for a bar.

Feedback from those wiser than me would be appreciated

B

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To fit an MQ carrier would be a pita, you would need to drill and bolt through the rear LH pillar, they were not all that strong and prone to rattle, mostly for looks and to hold a jerry can.
    It may also interfere with the LH barn door operation. It would also need a new bumper.
    If ya gunna go to the trouble of making a new bumper, ya may as well build the whole thing yourself and ya don't need to be a whiz bang welder to do it.
    Some steel U beam, Holden stub axle and bearings from a trailer shop, a hub, some 50x50 x3mm sqare tube, a catch and some measuring and a bit of time, good luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    To fit an MQ carrier would be a pita, you would need to drill and bolt through the rear LH pillar, they were not all that strong and prone to rattle, mostly for looks and to hold a jerry can.
    It may also interfere with the LH barn door operation. It would also need a new bumper.
    If ya gunna go to the trouble of making a new bumper, ya may as well build the whole thing yourself and ya don't need to be a whiz bang welder to do it.
    Some steel U beam, Holden stub axle and bearings from a trailer shop, a hub, some 50x50 x3mm sqare tube, a catch and some measuring and a bit of time, good luck.
    Top job Ferret!!! Give the man all the ingredients and then don't tell him how to cook!!! *LMFAO* ...

That's like saying, "here you go Scotty, all you need is the hops, some water, some yeast and a brewing bottle" ... I'd just start crying!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah well, for all we know he may be able to do the job. Nothing like a bit of encouragement eh? I certainly don't mind helping, if he was local I'd be happy ta weld it up for a slab or two!!
    He could think of it as a challenge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Ferret, I was pondering making my own and never considered a stub axle hinge. Now all I have to do is get a roundtuit.