Thread: TOOLS, for the road.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TOOLS, for the road.

im currently planning my maiden voyage with my newly purchased 03 GU III and i want to know what, if any, zd30 specific tools are required for emergency maintenance, and what sort of things i shouldnt overlook when putting together my tool kit.

cheers Royce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where are you heading Royce?
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im in perth, so we are heading straight up to Monkey Mia, stay there for a few days, and then work our way around to coral bay over a couple of days, and then onto exmouth, stay there for a couple of days and then head off to karajini national park for a friends wedding, kick around there for a few days and then head back south, and if we have enough time i might stop off at the murchison adventure park for something a bit more challenging.

the engine is due for its 5000km service so i will be getting that done befor i leave along with getting the brakes checked and a full going over incase theres something i missed when i purchased it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry that I cannot help much, but just the usual stuff, belts, fluids, filters, recovery gear, tools, tyre patchy things..............hope that you have a great trip and looking forward to seeing the photos.
    Someone here maybe able to add some more stuff that you will require.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grab a tyre tube, its like a 2nd tyre but without the weight or space taken up. And patches, a couple of large ones for a side wall if needed
    Engine belts a must.
    Depending on the severity of the trip some guys take a spare shock and spring for front and rear.
    Then all the general tools like a basic socket set.
    hammer
    Basic spanner sizes
    TIE WIRE...
    Pliers
    Tyre levers...

How many vehicles are going?

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    For that trip I wouldn't be taking the whole Snap-on catalog but a set of ring open end spanners {metric} pluse a 1/2" socket set '
    plyers , again a set of screwdrivers, possibly two or three tyre levers , throw the mechanical Jack away and go buy a 20 ton hydraulic.
    your arms will thank you plus cheap too. All these hand tools etc can be rolled up . plus hoses and belts to suit your model.
    You are not that far away from help like the middle of the Simmo, don't over load and just take what is necessary to get you mobile.
    Definitely put a can of MAF cleaner in, 2 spares is a no brainer for any outback trip, tyre repair kit and a tube as suggested. If your going off the beaten track
    you might want to take a tyre only, make sure they are all the same size. sounds alot but all tools will roll up small, Make sure you can get to it all without
    unpacking the back of the Trol. A workshop manual of your model, and make sure you know whats what under the bonnet. If travelling with someone else don't double up but share any stuff you may need
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Woof (16th April 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think TD has nailed it. You are going to be on blacktop most of the time. (I don't know about the adventure park, but you'll only have corrugations to deal with in Karijini). I don't really think you even need two spares, one will do. Have RAC recovery & a mobile phone plus the tools & spares suggested by TD, & perhaps a digital multimeter. Take your walking boots & day packs to get the best out of Karijini otherwise all you'll see is the views from lookouts.which doesn't compare to getting down into the gorges themselves. Try to also get out to Hammersley Gorge which is separate to the Karijini gorges, it rock formations make it pretty special.

Consider camping in the Cape Range NP instead of staying in Exmouth itself. Places are limited & given on a first come first served basis, (Our favourite was the most southerly one at Yardie Creek Gorge where it is very entertaining watching 4WD'ers crossing the Yardie Creek at low tide) so you have to get up very early (first light) to line up at Park entrance (take no notice of any of the guff they tell you at Exmouth Visitor centre about organising it from there). Easiest is to camp overnight at Yardie Creek Caravan Park, the closest to the park entrance.

Cuppa
    Last edited by Cuppa; 15th April 2013 at 12:48 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Woof (16th April 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Having been to all of those spots and esp if you call in at MOA...
    I would carry:
    selection of pliers, grips, side cutters etc
    selection of screwdrivers, hammer etc
    a roll of combo spanners,
    a 1/2 inch socket set,
    a 12 volt rattle gun, (I have worn one out and am on my second)
    also throw in a wheel bearing socket/tool,
    and because it is a ZD30 the correct size Torx for the MAF and the Belt Tensioner.

Belts, Fluids, Filters etc as normal for and out of the way trip plus MAF Cleaner, 2nd spare optional but agree with Cuppa not an absolute necessary for where you are going.

The drive from Coral Bay up to Cape Range along the coast rather than the black top is a 'must do' in my opinion but depends on your load and if you are willing to cross Yardie Creek (check the tide times and if the RAAF Range is active). The track thru the Defence Land is usually rough as guts but slowly, slowly, means I have not had any problems. The remainder is normally pretty good altho you can get corro's on the gravel nearer Ningaloo Station but a fair bit is sandy and firm so those sections are easy peasy.
    An alternative is while at Coral Bay to drive the coast track from Coral Bay to as far as Ningaloo Station. There are a couple of places you can cut back to the bitumen if you don't want to retrace your path.

Lots of cool stuff to do at Denham. The Aquarium complex just out of town is a cracker as is the Francios Peron NP. Depending on time you may opt to do a day trip to Steep Point as well

I like Millstream waaaay more than Karajini but admit Karajini is a must see at least once.

MOA is just gangbusters of fun but possibly more so in a group and consider coming home thru the centre via Murchison Settlement. Lots of old convict stuff etc to see and road is quite OK
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Woof (16th April 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pilgrimanna is a top camp spot in cape range, only short wall south of spot is a great little sand point to snorkel off.
    2012 GU8 Polar White Auto ST Patrol, Factory Bull bar, Scangauge 2, EGR blanked, Milford cargo barrier, Outback ideas recovery points, Micks retrofit HID 3 inch projectors with Osram bulbs and 55w ballasts, GME TXE3420, Sidewinder dual battery with monitor, Windcheetah 2.0m alloy rack, Suspension Stuff 2" Flexy lift with SS Monotubes, MT ATZ 4 ribs 265/75R16 on black Dynamic rims, Custom rear draws with fridge slide.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also VHF/UHF radios?.......not really a tool per se.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast