Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    here you go guys, i have made and uploaded a PDF to my website. enjoy:

http://www.rgphotography.com.au/nic/nissanpatrolforum

can someone please let me know if its accesible as this is the first time ive done something like this.

cheers,

nic
    Last edited by rusty_nail; 7th February 2012 at 10:34 PM.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Waza (15th December 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post

http://www.rgphotography.com.au/nic/

cheers,

nic
    Top job mate!!! Well done!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    Top job mate!!! Well done!!!
    is it accesible? wasnt sure on the permissions...

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it accesible? wasnt sure on the permissions...
    I opened it on my iPad no dramas.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (7th February 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks mate. if you wanna put that link somewhere more accesible so it doesnt get lost in all the posts be my guest.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.rgphotography.com.au/nic/

can someone please let me know if its accesible as this is the first time ive done something like this.

cheers,

nic
    yeh it works on my lappy no dramas
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (7th February 2012)

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Nic.

I learned some things.

If I could suggest a minor edit to the snatch block section - it might be useful to expand on the multiplying effect, contrasting where the cable goes from front mounted winch, to snatch attached to anchor, and then back to a recovery point near the front mounted winch, -v- the situation where the snatch is merely in line to change the line of pull a bit between the front mounted winch, and another anchor point past the snatch block.

I think in the former the multiplication is as you say, but in the latter, the multiplication effect is less, or nil?
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Very nice Nic.

I learned some things.

If I could suggest a minor edit to the snatch block section - it might be useful to expand on the multiplying effect, contrasting where the cable goes from front mounted winch, to snatch attached to anchor, and then back to a recovery point near the front mounted winch, -v- the situation where the snatch is merely in line to change the line of pull a bit between the front mounted winch, and another anchor point past the snatch block.

I think in the former the multiplication is as you say, but in the latter, the multiplication effect is less, or nil?
    lol silver i have no idea, i dont have a winch and im not too sure about all the math equations. i can change it if you want, but someone suggested to make a PDF outta the thread, so i did for the forum. let me know which part you want me to change and ill do so gladly

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol silver i have no idea, i dont have a winch and im not too sure about all the math equations. i can change it if you want, but someone suggested to make a PDF outta the thread, so i did for the forum. let me know which part you want me to change and ill do so gladly
    Crikey Nic, 2nd form science was a long long time ago for me!

The PDF says

The snatch block is a rated piece of equipment that allows the cable to run over a pulley and change direction too another tree or back to the winching vehicle. The awesome power of the Snatch Block is that as soon as you introduce a pulley within the line you HALVE the weight on the line!! Add 2 Snatch Blocks and you reduce the weight to 25% of the line weight at the hook!

Maybe it could say:

The snatch block is a rated piece of equipment that allows the cable to run over a pulley and change direction to another tree.

The cable can also run to the block and back to the winching vehicle.

The awesome power of the Snatch Block is that as soon as you introduce a pulley within the line that goes back to the winching vehicle you HALVE the weight on the winch!! Add 2 Snatch Blocks and you reduce the load on the winch to 33% of the actual load! There's a way to work out this mechanical advantage. One line from winch to anchor - winch is pulling 100%. Line from winch to anchor, through block and back to winching vehicle, winch is pulling 50%. The line is twice the distance to the anchor point - and the load is 1/2. Introduce another snatch block at the winching vehicle and run the cable back to the anchor - 3 times the distance, and the winch is doing 1/3 of the work.

There is a trap to this. If your winch is at max load of 3.6 tonnes, because the GU above is bogged to the chassis with a camper trailer, with the two snatch block set up above, then the anchor is bearing 3 x 3.6 tonnes - close enough to 11 tonnes. That 11 tonne load is also spread across the attachment points on the vehicle. Beware failing anchor points and make sure the shackles, tree trunk protectors and anything else that is carrying the full load is up to the job.

The other thing is that there is little or no mechanical advantage where the snatch block merely changes to the line of pull between winch and load a bit. The maximum effect is where the winch line does a 180 and goes back to the winching vehicle.

I'm sure someone could improve on this :-)
    Last edited by Silver; 7th February 2012 at 11:00 PM.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Crikey Nic, 2nd form science was a long long time ago for me!

The PDF says

The snatch block is a rated piece of equipment that allows the cable to run over a pulley and change direction too another tree or back to the winching vehicle. The awesome power of the Snatch Block is that as soon as you introduce a pulley within the line you HALVE the weight on the line!! Add 2 Snatch Blocks and you reduce the weight to 25% of the line weight at the hook!

Maybe it could say:

The snatch block is a rated piece of equipment that allows the cable to run over a pulley and change direction to another tree.

The cable can also run to the block and back to the winching vehicle.

The awesome power of the Snatch Block is that as soon as you introduce a pulley within the line that goes back to the winching vehicle you HALVE the weight on the winch!! Add 2 Snatch Blocks and you reduce the load on the winch to 33% of the actual load! There's a way to work out this mechanical advantage. One line from winch to anchor - winch is pulling 100%. Line from winch to anchor, through block and back to winching vehicle, winch is pulling 50%. The line is twice the distance to the anchor point - and the load is 1/2. Introduce another snatch block at the winching vehicle and run the cable back to the anchor - 3 times the distance, and the winch is doing 1/3 of the work.

There is a trap to this. If your winch is at max load of 3.6 tonnes, because the GU above is bogged to the chassis with a camper trailer, with the two snatch block set up above, then the anchor is bearing 3 x 3.6 tonnes - close enough to 11 tonnes. That 11 tonne load is also spread across the attachment points on the vehicle. Beware failing anchor points and make sure the shackles, tree trunk protectors and anything else that is carrying the full load is up to the job.

The other thing is that there is little or no mechanical advantage where the snatch block merely changes to the line of pull between winch and load a bit. The maximum effect is where the winch line does a 180 and goes back to the winching vehicle.

I'm sure someone could improve on this :-)
    using your info i have update the PDF mate. i also added two of the other posts which i felt would go well in the doc. you should be able to download the PDF of view it for all those interested

heres the link again so its more recent and easy to see:

http://www.rgphotography.com.au/nic/nissanpatrolforum/

cheers

nic

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Trolatron (29th March 2012)

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast