Thread: Recovery - The Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Sorry, I didn't quite phrase my question that well. It's less of a 'not being room to turn', and more, say im going up a hill, and turning is impractical because of angles. I could go up, turn around, and come back down, but that would mean having to reverse back up the hill, which would present it's own set of dangers, and may not be practical. But if it effectively works as a redirect then it should be sweet
    Yeah, it's the old "in theory" thing.

In practice trying to rig from the centre of your vehicle out to one side or the other then back down to the stranded vehicle is almost always impractical due to not having enough snatch blocks, winch extensions etc .

Put it this way, with a standard length winch cable, one or two snatch blocks and one vehicle behind the other it just is not going to happen.

You are going to have to rig forward at a small enough angle to not side load your winch OR use a snatch block redirect to get to the side THEN, another snatch block to redirect back and I would suggest at least 1 probably 2 more to redirect onto the front of the stranded vehicle and/or clear the ground

That is a lot of cable and blocks and you still have only 1:1 line pull

One option would be rigging his vehicle to the rear of yours and winching/driving in concert using the gear on your vehicle to give you a 4:1 advantage on your winch.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

krbrooking (14th March 2015), threedogs (19th June 2015), Winnie (13th March 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    One option would be rigging his vehicle to the rear of yours and winching/driving in concert using the gear on your vehicle to give you a 4:1 advantage on your winch.
    That sounds like the go. Thanks for the help mate.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another quick one.

Found a bloke on the weekend who went too quick around the corner and was almost over the side, car was balancing on its chassis and would have been a long way down. We had two cars with winches to recover, and chose to run pulleys off a tree to redirect and basically pull him sideways (our thinking here was that it pulls our cars towards safety as well as his, rather than a direct pull which may have just pulled us towards the edge).

Question is, if only one of us had a winch and was struggling to pull sideways with only the redirect, would have a pulley from the stuck vehicle back to the tree with the redirect give us an advantage?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes .
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the good info. we expect a lot from our winch cables .

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have missed this elsewhere

When I use a pulley to setup a mechanical advantage and hence reduce load on the winch, do I also reduce the load on the rope/shackles/pulleys?

For instance, say I'm doing a 3T winch pull, with no pulley it's 3T on the winch, rope, straps. With a pulley involved, it's 1.5T on the winch, is it also 1.5T on everything else?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I may have missed this elsewhere

When I use a pulley to setup a mechanical advantage and hence reduce load on the winch, do I also reduce the load on the rope/shackles/pulleys?

For instance, say I'm doing a 3T winch pull, with no pulley it's 3T on the winch, rope, straps. With a pulley involved, it's 1.5T on the winch, is it also 1.5T on everything else?

1.5T on the winch drum
    1.5T on the winching vehicle anchor point and any rigging
    1.5T on the cable from the winch to the snatch block
    1.5T on the cable from the snatch block back to the vehicle anchor point (it is the same cable so must have the same load)
    3.0T on the snatch block (2 cable loads at 1.5T each)
    3.0T on the anchor point of the snatch block and rigging to whatever you anchored the snatchie too.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 18th June 2015 at 07:44 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

lucus30 (18th June 2015), macca (16th March 2017), MudRunnerTD (18th June 2015), threedogs (19th June 2015)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.5T on the winch drum
    1.5T on the winching vehicle anchor point and any rigging
    1.5T on the cable from the winch to the snatch block
    1.5T on the cable from the snatch block back to the vehicle anchor point (it is the same cable so must have the same load)
    3.0T on the snatch block (2 cable loads at 1.5T each)
    3.0T on the anchor point of the snatch block and rigging to whatever you anchored the snatchie too.
    Thanks mate

Is there ever a case where you multiple or increase the load on equipment by hooking up redirects/double/triple line pulls? Or for the most part it halves, and stays the same as original on things like pulleys and anchor point the pulley is connected to?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate

Is there ever a case where you multiple or increase the load on equipment by hooking up redirects/double/triple line pulls? Or for the most part it halves, and stays the same as original on things like pulleys and anchor point the pulley is connected to?
    Halving loads etc only works in a perfect world.
    Real world use means snatch blocks, pulleys etc introduce their own loads IE depending on dia, cable type etc it may be that you only get a, say, 45% reduction instead of the full 50.
    That is no biggee unless you are up on the ragged edge.

The other thing to be aware of is Sling Load Angle on bridles, very common, or if loading a redirect which is quite unusal but may be handy if recovering or winching around a curved path

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halving loads etc only works in a perfect world.
    Real world use means snatch blocks, pulleys etc introduce their own loads IE depending on dia, cable type etc it may be that you only get a, say, 45% reduction instead of the full 50.
    That is no biggee unless you are up on the ragged edge.

The other thing to be aware of is Sling Load Angle on bridles, very common, or if loading a redirect which is quite unusal but may be handy if recovering or winching around a curved path
    Thanks mate - I just want to make sure I don't ever increase the load on components. Would hate a triple line pull to result in a 3t pull being 9t on the snatch block, but from the sounds of it, the snatch block only ever gets the original load sort of thing.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast