OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Another fatal tow ball failure (USA)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another fatal tow ball failure (USA)

This stupidity seems to be ongoing. This time in the US.
    This time not so much the tow ball that broke, but a complete hitch. That angle and side force leverage it would have received, it stood no chance.
    Have a look at the size of that drop hitch. Imagine that hurling towards you at great knots. And the dent it left on the steering wheel. Family in the car when it happened... Far out.
    RIP.

https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php...EutdIsaMFKgvKs
    2005 TD42TI

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

AB (30th July 2022), Bidja (30th July 2022), MB (30th July 2022), mudnut (30th July 2022), pearcey (30th July 2022), Rossco (30th July 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's actually not surprising it ripped off, imagine the leverage forces upon it.

Very sad and didn't need to happen
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pollenface For This Useful Post:

MB (1st August 2022), Rossco (31st July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (1st August 2022), mudnut (31st July 2022), PeeBee (31st July 2022), Rossco (31st July 2022)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was out in the field with the site surveyor and he bogged the landcruiser in a creek. The recovery hilux finally arrived and the driver pulled out his strap and I connected it thru the hayman reece towbar by the pin and he flicked the strap eye over the towball. I corrected that but he was in absolute disbelief, carrying one etc. Anyway, we did it the right way, took an extra 60 seconds to rig properly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (1st August 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent video, Darren. The Hierarchy of Recovery was brilliantly explained.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (1st August 2022), MudRunnerTD (31st July 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I was out in the field with the site surveyor and he bogged the landcruiser in a creek. The recovery hilux finally arrived and the driver pulled out his strap and I connected it thru the hayman reece towbar by the pin and he flicked the strap eye over the towball. I corrected that but he was in absolute disbelief, carrying one etc. Anyway, we did it the right way, took an extra 60 seconds to rig properly
    Show him that Video PeeBee or our Towball thread. Ya xant make that shit up!!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (1st August 2022), PeeBee (31st July 2022)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Excellent video, Darren. The Hierarchy of Recovery was brilliantly explained.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rHvQykNt2M

I don't agree with Matt's hierarchy personally... But opinions and scenarios differ.
    Winch is mentioned in the later stages.
    In my opinion it should always start with... Do you have a winch and is there a suitable point to winch off? If so, USE IT!
    The most expensive and heaviest recovery tool you fit to your car. Use it!! I see it over and over again, where people pull out every trick in the book to get unstuck, generally wasting so much time, where a simple winch would've done it in quarter of the time. And a lot of times, in the end , the winch rope comes out anyway.

As above scenarios change. And every tool and method has it's place.
    But if safety is the topic, I reckon winch is the most controlled, viable, option, you have.
    2005 TD42TI

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

mudnut (1st August 2022), MudRunnerTD (1st August 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rHvQykNt2M

I don't agree with Matt's hierarchy personally... But opinions and scenarios differ.
    Winch is mentioned in the later stages.
    In my opinion it should always start with... Do you have a winch and is there a suitable point to winch off? If so, USE IT!
    The most expensive and heaviest recovery tool you fit to your car. Use it!! I see it over and over again, where people pull out every trick in the book to get unstuck, generally wasting so much time, where a simple winch would've done it in quarter of the time. And a lot of times, in the end , the winch rope comes out anyway.

As above scenarios change. And every tool and method has it's place.
    But if safety is the topic, I reckon winch is the most controlled, viable, option, you have.
    I agree Eric, when in doubt winch out. But his hierarchy of control was bang on mate. Here it is.

* Don't get stuck

* Deflate tyres and check to ensure you are in 4wd

* Use a shovel to dig and remove some of the obstruction (mud or sand) this will lighten the load.

* Try traction boards if you have them.

* Use your Winch if you have one.

* Use another vehicle to attempt to TOW (Pull Not Snatch) if possible.

* Attempt a Kenetic recovery lightly. Ie. 5% above Tow strain, 10% above tow strain etc.

*** DO NOT attempt a 50% additional or greater Kenetic recovery as the first pull. JustSentIt kills people and is likely what killed this young fella.

In my opinion though if you have failed to winch recover then get back on the shovel and add a snatch block for a double or triple line pull over getting the kenetic rope out.

I have recently invested in a Kenetic rope and retired my Snatch straps.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (1st August 2022)