Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    1.5T on the winch drum
    1.5T on the winching vehicle anchor point and any rigging
    1.5T on the cable from the winch to the snatch block
    1.5T on the cable from the snatch block back to the vehicle anchor point (it is the same cable so must have the same load)
    3.0T on the snatch block (2 cable loads at 1.5T each)
    3.0T on the anchor point of the snatch block and rigging to whatever you anchored the snatchie too.

Thanks for the info mate, often wondered about this particular question

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Death By Towballs and Hitch Receivers left to Rust.

click on this pic and consider your receiver.

Towball rusted.jpg
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That would be a boat trailer for sure and that receiver must have had a crack in it or something and allowed it to fill with salt water.
    Even so though, it is a bloody good reminder. I would say that driver was very lucky he wasn't travelling at any great speeds when that came off!
    Surely you would have noticed that kind of damage earlier?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i couldnt get my towball hitch out recently when i was out 4wding(i wanted to do a recovery but we had to work out other methods out. anyway, turns out the pic was rusted as fck and the hitch had swollen with rust and just wouldnt budge. it took me a week of soaking wd40 followed by attaching the towbar to a VERY short chain which was wrapped around a telegraph pole and little bit by little bit gently nudging it out. needless to say i replaced the culprit and cleaned out all the left over rust!!!
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    i couldnt get my towball hitch out recently when i was out 4wding(i wanted to do a recovery but we had to work out other methods out. anyway, turns out the pic was rusted as fck and the hitch had swollen with rust and just wouldnt budge. it took me a week of soaking wd40 followed by attaching the towbar to a VERY short chain which was wrapped around a telegraph pole and little bit by little bit gently nudging it out. needless to say i replaced the culprit and cleaned out all the left over rust!!!
    You'd be surprised how often they are like that. When my mate bought his GQ it did not have a pin through the tow receiver but the previous owner used it as a tow vehicle... the rust was keeping it in and my mate had big troubles trying to get it out. The tow bar had to come off in the end and oxy and press sorted it out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (18th August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Better to remove hitch when not in use and dry it off if wet or after washing. The one that broke looks like it's made of cardboard.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, another question..

Tree trunk protectors, are their rating's use when used end to end? It's sort of hard to explain, but around the tree, isn't the strap in effect doubled up?

Just wondering if it's safe to use a tree trunk protector as a short winch extension strap.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Hey guys, another question..

Tree trunk protectors, are their rating's use when used end to end? It's sort of hard to explain, but around the tree, isn't the strap in effect doubled up?

Just wondering if it's safe to use a tree trunk protector as a short winch extension strap.
    I would use it as a short extension without hesitation.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I would use it as a short extension without hesitation.
    No need to double it up? As in, the two eyes of the strap on one end, and a just looped through the strap?
    Or fine to just go one eye to winch hook, other eye to shackle elsewhere type thing? Or are both ways fine?

I only ask as I did a double line pull yesterday, found myself a bit short on winch rope, so had tree trunk protector around tree to a shackle, with another tree trunk protector with one eyelet on that shackle, other eyelet on a snatch block. Just want to make sure this is ok to do in future..
    Last edited by Throbbinhood; 5th January 2016 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being new to the group and new to 4x4 the information provided is a great help and very informative
    Thanks

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast