OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GQ auto problem- ALMOST fixed still need some help/ideas/suggestions to nail it

Thanks
    Thanked 6,877 Times in 3,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could you have got some kind of air block in the trans cooler or lines when refilling? Are any of your fluid lines kinked or perhaps a bit blocked some how?

FanTapstic!
    Hello from Under Down Under!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Southern Camping View Post
    There are examples on here when people have bought cars with the wrong length dipstick - there's even a photo (I put up about 18 months or more ago). I'll see if I can find it and copy it over - could well be its overfilled as the dipstick is the wrong length ...

And no, you don't have to be "lucky" old mate to get a good one ... you are unlucky to get a bad one ...

But we're onto it and trying to assist with the hair loss prevention program!! lol

Scotty (Bigrig)
    Thanks very much, I really appreciate the efforts.

Regarding my problems with the dipstick, I have seen posts by others mentioning similar difficulties getting an accurate reading, though not sure if they were on this forum. I didn't take much notice of the specific content of these posts at the time, but they gave me the impression that it may be a known common issue. I'm more inclined to believe now though that the wrong length dipstick is more likely, though I appear to have a matching 'set'.

I apologise, I shouldn't have 'dissed' all autos, I'm just frustrated with mine.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Could you have got some kind of air block in the trans cooler or lines when refilling? Are any of your fluid lines kinked or perhaps a bit blocked some how?

FanTapstic!
    They don't appear to be kinked but not sure if they're blocked. I did follow the lines (on my back, underneath the vehicle) to the transmission looking for any splits/leaks/damage and visually things looked ok.

Can you give me an idea of how to test for blockage. Apart from unclamping hoses at various connection points to check the flow I can't think of what more I could do - not here anyway, with my limited equipment and resources.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah sorry I wouldn't know how to easily check for a blockage. I just thought it weird that you are getting different readings on the stick, that's what made me think maybe an air lock. Even if the stick is the wrong one, it should be the same level all the time?
    Your checking it when warmed up and with engine running?

FanTapstic!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

soulburner2000 (12th April 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

couple more pics- trans oil level etc

Here's an example of what I was referring to with inconsistant trans fluid readings - under same conditions (after driving around town with my son), got home, car still running, checked the level on dipstick. Here's the result. Still showing as overfull but significantly lower. There are no leaks.

Decided to take a look a both dipsticks next to eachother. I always assumed they were a match, but after closer inspection, I have my doubts. The transmission stick looks older and more 'used' than motor oil one. The motor oil dipstick had a code/number on it, but none present on trans stick.

What's it all mean? It means I'm more confused. But I'm here to learn people, and to benefit from your wisdom and superior knowledge.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    perhaps the oil dip stick looks older because it has been more frequently used (checked) than the trans one? Do you have any mates with the same engine to compare the sticks?
    I will take a pic of mine when it stops raining here.
    I'm just guessing but fluctuating levels would maybe be from inconsistent pressure inside the system???
    Is the trans breather line blocked?
    Does anyone know how to check if the trans fluid pump is working %100?
    I'm really just guessing and throwing ideas out there.

FanTapstic!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know anyone with a patrol, but there's a gq auto from same year at the wreckers down the road. Might ask then what they want for the TPS on it , and have a look while I'm there.

Maybe a previous owner got distracted while checking oil level and drove off without putting dipstick back in? Thought a replacement out of a 'near enough' model would do. I'm just speculating as well.

It's still raining here as well, but I'll go check out the breather shortly.

Last night I took out the rear seats, centre console, gear selector trim, centre dash section etc, other bits and pieces, to clean and check in case I do get rid of it. Change the CD player over while I'm at it. Cig lighter socket was a bugger to get out. The small, unexpected problems like that seem to hold me up the most.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread seems to have petered out. Thanks for all replies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just posted this on another thread, may as well update here as well.....

Bought a new Bosch GT40r coil and fitted it.
    I had my TPS off today, gave it a good soaking in WD40 (sprayed in every gap I could find), and cleaned it with a 'modified' soft bristled toothbrush and dental pik. Let it drain and dry out, and put it back on with a slight adjustment. All the connections got a spray and good clean as well.
    Holy crap, what a difference it made! So smooth between gears, and smoother to drive in general. TC still not locking up, but so much better.

Going to book it in with my gas guy for a decent tune-up, and then I'll start pricing reco-ed TC's. Definitely gonna get an oil cooler for the transmission as insurance for the future.
    Do your research. Learn the rules. Learn the game. Be successful.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

12. The Following User Says Thank You to soulburner2000 For This Useful Post:

taslucas (28th April 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, I have closed your other thread down and re-directed everyone 2 leave comments here, It gets really confusing having two threads going that relate to the same problem.

Cheers

Toddie
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

taslucas (28th April 2013)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast