OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: GQ auto problem- ALMOST fixed still need some help/ideas/suggestions to nail it

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you be doing the conversion yourself Craig or paying someone to do it???

How long can you afford to have your rig of the road????

Yeh by all means do manual conversion if a manual is what you want you really want, but sit down and work out the pro's and con's of both and the costs involved. Also take into account that there is no guarantee that after ripping the manual out of the donor car and doing the conversion that the gearbox doesn't sh!t it self anyway unless of course you plan on rebuilding the manual before installing it.

We I've been through the same thing and you all know which way I went
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

taslucas (3rd May 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Are you considering buying the whole thing for $1500? $1500 would go a long way to fixing up the auto box. Once you have the auto sorted youll have a superior 4wd running the gearbox that is superior for 4wding
    well, been having a look online and may just buy a decent GQ that's had the work done. I don't want to spend big bucks, but if it's likely to cost $3000 minimum for a transmission rebuild I may as well put it towards a replacement patrol - keep mine for spares/best bits. Don't know if I'd get another auto...
    Do your research. Learn the rules. Learn the game. Be successful.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Will you be doing the conversion yourself Craig or paying someone to do it???

How long can you afford to have your rig of the road????

Yeh by all means do manual conversion if a manual is what you want you really want, but sit down and work out the pro's and con's of both and the costs involved. Also take into account that there is no guarantee that after ripping the manual out of the donor car and doing the conversion that the gearbox doesn't sh!t it self anyway unless of course you plan on rebuilding the manual before installing it.

We I've been through the same thing and you all know which way I went
    No way! I wouldn't/couldn't do it myself. I don't have the patience or the knowledge. I haven't decided what to do yet. Luckily, I have an EK Holden that I can use (although it's on restricted rego, shhh).

The patrol still has the forward gears (I haven't used it since I got home last night) so I can drive it to wherever it needs to go for fixing (if I go down that track). Have spent quite a bit on it recently, and was hoping it would last until tax return time. Never mind, it'll work out in the end.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulburner2000 View Post
    well, been having a look online and may just buy a decent GQ that's had the work done. I don't want to spend big bucks, but if it's likely to cost $3000 minimum for a transmission rebuild I may as well put it towards a replacement patrol - keep mine for spares/best bits. Don't know if I'd get another auto...
    I hear what your saying but don't agree........yeh 3g expensive and you can buy a s/h patrol for that or put it towards a dearer Patrol................. and the big but is, how long before your new patrol's gearbox fails ( yes manuals fail 2 ) or something else fails????

Well that's just my way I looked at it when I had to decide.

See my point

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    A TB42 Auto in "D" (for drag lol)

I notice you have no bar on the front or side steps. Is removing them a common thing that Patrol owners do, or is it an off-roading thing? I'm a bit of a dunce...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice you have no bar on the front or side steps. Is removing them a common thing that Patrol owners do, or is it an off-roading thing? I'm a bit of a dunce...
    They probable fell off, hey Lucas *LMAO*

No its not common, most run what they call Rock Sliders which are just beefed up side steps and most run Steel bars

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do see where you're coming from Toddie, but my GQ auto did last for 6 years after I bought it (although I didn't use it for 5 of those), and I paid less than $3000 for the whole vehicle, so I'm not too shattered with what's happened. As I've mentioned, I've only recently taken an 'interest' in these rigs, and I plan on trying to learn as much as I can about them - I've learned so much already.

I wouldn't NOT buy another auto because this one has crapped out. But may not be worth it getting auto rebuilt, as the motor has 520,000 on it and will likely not be far behind crapping out as well. I'm not sure what to do yet, probably best to do some more research, get a few more opinions I reckon.

But I do understand that people are passionate about the auto/manual debate and I really don't favour either- at the moment I could go either way...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still speculating that your torque converter has died or nearly there. In mine the bearing in it failed, destroying the tc and cooking the rest of the box. In mine, due to the postition of reverse (3rd shares a common clutch), i melted all the teeth off reverse, losing reverse and 3rd.
    Im not saying thats whats happened to yours, mine was a worst case scenario, but still something to consider.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do see where you're coming from Toddie, but my GQ auto did last for 6 years after I bought it (although I didn't use it for 5 of those), and I paid less than $3000 for the whole vehicle, so I'm not too shattered with what's happened. As I've mentioned, I've only recently taken an 'interest' in these rigs, and I plan on trying to learn as much as I can about them - I've learned so much already.

I wouldn't NOT buy another auto because this one has crapped out. But may not be worth it getting auto rebuilt, as the motor has 520,000 on it and will likely not be far behind crapping out as well. I'm not sure what to do yet, probably best to do some more research, get a few more opinions I reckon.

But I do understand that people are passionate about the auto/manual debate and I really don't favour either- at the moment I could go either way...
    Dont discourage the auto because youve had some bad luck, ive been in the same boat. Im happy with my auto now, dont get me wrong, i love driving a manual, but the auto is still good too.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know what I'll be doing if my auto craps itself......... fixing it!!!!!!! Love my auto.
    But that being said, my gq does have 300k's less than yours, so also see where you're coming from and there's also that risk factor Toddie is on about when buying a new car........ choices, choices mate, I sure don't envy you.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast