Thread: 4x4 Safety Section

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

4x4 Safety Section

A lot of members have asked that we start up a safety category for any tips, stories and discussions about general safety and procedures.

Please feel free to start any conversations about your experiences, good and bad, we will not judge but only help!

If you have any questions about any safety concerns then please don't hesitate to ask. Members on this forum are here to only help regardless of how simple you may think the answer could be......Just ask!

Better ask the question then get hurt!

Also, members are more than welcome to post up stories, news and pictures or videos of accidents, preventions and resources to help everyone.

Cheers

Andy

p.s if anyone finds any threads in other sections that should be here then please let us know and we will move them across.

Disclaimer: The stories and posts on this site are the opinions of the members only. I do not control what is posted on this forum therefore do not take responsibility of any mistakes or injuries that people may endure whilst following any advise on this forum. The advise given on this forum is only from the individual person who writes the story and is not always the safest method or advise.

Please be cautious of any advise given on this forum and it is your own responsibility to action any advise given anywhere on this site.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (17th December 2010), Robo (28th August 2012), Woof (14th December 2010), YNOT (14th December 2010)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK 15 mths I'll go first, umm.
    What to stand on or use when trying to wash off last weekends fun from the roof ?.
    Everything is wet and grubby, using the tyres and side steps is slippery !.
    What do you do?
    Going through a creek last.
    Is a fair sort of answer.
    Your still going to want to clean it properly for rust protection don't you.

So how do you do this safely ??.
    " Without embarrassing yourself ".

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    OK 15 mths I'll go first, umm.
    What to stand on or use when trying to wash off last weekends fun from the roof ?.
    Everything is wet and grubby, using the tyres and side steps is slippery !.
    What do you do?
    Going through a creek last.
    Is a fair sort of answer.
    Your still going to want to clean it properly for rust protection don't you.

So how do you do this safely ??.
    " Without embarrassing yourself ".
    I use a little rubber coated step ladder and an extension mop thingy ... no reaching require as such ..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

Robo (20th March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the most overlooked potential hazards some over look.

Never ever use tow balls as a recovery hook.

People have died from the tow ball breaking off and flying through the air
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip'n'Shred View Post
    One of the most overlooked potential hazards some over look.

Never ever use tow balls as a recovery hook.

People have died from the tow ball breaking off and flying through the air
    Also to add a little to this the standard tow hooks and loop should never be used as a recovery point (NO MATTER HOW STRONG THEY LOOK)
    After market RATED recovery points should the first thing you fit to your patrol before going offroad.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno7 View Post
    Also to add a little to this the standard tow hooks and loop should never be used as a recovery point (NO MATTER HOW STRONG THEY LOOK)
    After market RATED recovery points should the first thing you fit to your patrol before going offroad.

Benno I fully agree with you on this but have a look at your owners book it states the hook on the front is a recovery point i wouldnt use it as a recovery but first timers reading through the book would have no reson to doubt it
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrol2.8 View Post
    Benno I fully agree with you on this but have a look at your owners book it states the hook on the front is a recovery point i wouldnt use it as a recovery but first timers reading through the book would have no reson to doubt it
    X2 mate

Even worse, the ubiquitous loop on the alloy kick panel on the back is also listed as a "tow" point I believe which most interpret as being ok for recovery ... not on your nelly should it ever be used in that fashion ...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big rig best thing to do with that loop is to remove it thats what i did when my son brought his first gq home he asked what you do that for explained it to him that now i can relax when your out with your mates knowing im not going to get a phone call that someones been hurt by a flying hoop
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrol2.8 View Post
    Big rig best thing to do with that loop is to remove it thats what i did when my son brought his first gq home he asked what you do that for explained it to him that now i can relax when your out with your mates knowing im not going to get a phone call that someones been hurt by a flying hoop
    Mine went a loooonnngggg time ago mate ... but agreed, should be removed upon purchase.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is off a mates GQ. The dent it put in the back off the ute (steel tray) was Insane.
    So for the people out there who still use these STD hooks PLEASE REMOVE THEM BEFORE ANYONE GETS INJURED OR KILLED.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benno7 For This Useful Post:

AB (19th July 2012), GQtdauto (2nd May 2017), patrol2.8 (19th July 2012), taslucas (19th July 2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast