Thread: Extending Tray

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    Thanks Cuppa, went out in the dark and the measurement from axle to end of existing tray is roughly 1400mm, so if i'm guessin right i might be ok?
    I will look further into it as i go but i must say that all the coppas i know wouldn't have a clue about tray lenghts ect, and vic roads muppets would prob be the same.

Cheers
    If the back of the existing tray is the rearmost point (no towball sticking out beyond that?) then you have about 382mm to play with.
    I would guess that if only slightly over you might avoid detection on a 4x4 by coppers & VicRoads easier than if it were a motorhome or converted bus. I know of folks who have been over length on their RV's for years & never been checked, but I also know of plenty who have, particularly when travelling in NSW where they seem to have blitzes on them every so often. My view would be that a basic extended tray would be less likely to attract attention than one with a camper on it. Whether anyone would get a tape measure out in the event of an accident who knows? Probably depends upon whether the extension 'looks' obvious, or stock.

Legalities aside the further behind the axle any weight is the greater the 'pendulum/lever' effect & thus the greater the impact on handling, braking & stress on the chassis.

This topic came up in conversation last weeken whilst I was camped with a bunch of folks in converted buses & campervans. One person suggested that it is possible to obtain an OD (over dimension) permit which lasts indefinitely. I'm a bit suss about whether this is true or not, but might be worth investigating. (EDIT: Have just posted a query about this on a motorhome forum where I'm a member & wil feed back if I get any useful info)

On a related topic, when folks extend their chassis behind the rear axle do they get the modifications 'engineered'? Fairly recently, when getting a local fabrication company make me a gas bottle carrier to attach to a chassis rail, they made it quite clear that the method of attachment had to be achieved without welding or drilling the chassis, as they were not allowed to do so.

Cuppa
    Last edited by Cuppa; 10th April 2013 at 09:35 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

emu (10th April 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also the slide on you're buying my mates was the Mob in South Aust, empty it weighed 800kg. so you may be looking at a GMV upgrade as well.
    Again Cuppa has just done this. Superior engineering have a bolt on chassis up grade kit. If you know your way around a welder you may be able to weld in any gussett
    plates required. Not sure you'll be able to tow anything as the tow hitch would be way too long even using 6mm rhs. Plus as stated your departure angle will be null and void IMO

@ Cuppa most manufactureres have a NO DRILL POLICY on the chassis more so Holden welding a big No No as well
    Last edited by threedogs; 10th April 2013 at 11:04 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If i get time over weekend will do some homework on exact size of tray required allowing for slide out engel in box, building tray with box behind cab and finding out where the centre of weight is on the trayon.

Trayon camper is 420kg empty, water tank is at front 100ltr/kg, hoping centre of weight just in the camper will be just forward of rear axle...........but will wait and see.

Threedogs, not sure about the GMV on this ute, but the rear end has 3 extra leafs that are 15mm thick each...........the local offroad exhaust joint thought they looked impressive.
    Will post up some results when done.......thanks fellas

Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll find your GVM is 3400kg. It will be on the compliance plate on the firewall, under the bonnet.
    I suspect that you, like me, will struggle to stay within the GVM once you take the weight of the slide on camper, tray, spare wheel(s), bullbar, side steps, tow bar, fuel, fridge, food, water, camping gear, tools, recovery gear, driver & passenger etc etc into account. Believe me it all adds up very quickly!!!
    Probably not too hard to set up for short breaks in the company of other vehicles, but setting up for long term self sufficient travel & staying under the GVM is a major challenge. I will watch your progress with interest.

What style of travel & length of time away are you planning for?

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lookin at yearly trips about 3mths away at a time but could escalate into longer trips, the idea is to go into remote areas camping on beaches catchin fish & crabs and forgeting what day it is.

Biggest issue is being able to be self suficient as far as recovery gear, communiction etc which as you say can add up to a lot of weight.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An admirable aim that I share emu. Our limiting factor will be water, we can carry about two weeks worth. Not sure how long we can carry food supplies for yet. Power generation will allow for indefinite use of fridge & freezer. A deserted beach somewhere on the Kimberley coast & and plenty of reef fish for the eating is my fantasy.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally i camp near streams of some sort but i quess up on the beach (except Fraser Is) fresh water ain't that plentiful.
    I might just have to keep up with my 10 375ml beers to a glass of water regrime

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was a bit slack on weekend but did have a good measure up of the tray, after changing the coolant.
    looks like i need to extent about 280mm for a 50 lt engel and will also lift tray to suit spare wheel under tray.
    I'm taking her into abbeyard on weekend with my dirtbike for a ride with 250 other nuts.

Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    Was a bit slack on weekend but did have a good measure up of the tray, after changing the coolant.
    looks like i need to extent about 280mm for a 50 lt engel and will also lift tray to suit spare wheel under tray.
    I'm taking her into abbeyard on weekend with my dirtbike for a ride with 250 other nuts.

Cheers
    Rntension sounds ok then.
    Have fun riding. I used to do a few enduros but gave it away when it took me a week to stop aching afterwards.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, it's been a while sold the old tray with the crane for $2500 a few months ago and have been busy on other projects, but i have finally started to build the new tray 2 weeks ago, its 2500 x 1980
    I"m having an aluminium box made up for behind the cab that will be 450mm wide to accomodate the slide out engel fridge on one side and a slide out draw on the other, should be ready for pickup next week.
    I have lowered the fuel tank to make way for a spare wheel under the tray, just need to weld up the wheel hanger and then make up an under tray battery box.
    The floor of tray will be 3mm aluminium checkerplate.

Hoping to have it all finished within the next 3 weeks so will post some more pics when done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

Avo (2nd November 2013), Clunk (5th December 2013)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast