Thread: Extending Tray

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extending Tray

Hi, i am looking at making a new tray and have a trayon camper which is 2200mm long, but i also want to have a aluminium box madeup for a engel fridge with slide.

The fridge box would need to be 450-500 wide so the tray lenght needs to be approx 2.7mtrs long, so can anyone see any potential problems with this idea.

Also thinking of mounting a removable wheel carrier on the rear of the tray directly behind the camper.
    Camper weighs only 650kgs when loaded with 70% of weight slightly infront of rear wheels.

Have got the idea from Shepparton 4x4 centre, he has same setup but is on a cruiser.

Will appreciate any feedback.
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You may find you will have too much over hang,
    Have you looked at extending the chassis to suit,
    That would be safest way. Mate did same set up as you for a Cape trip,
    without extra Fridge area, All 4 Koni Shocks failed from all the weight.

Or look at some of the guys here with Pods and see their set up. Cuppa comes to mind
    As an example of an outback touring set up.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi threedogs thanks for the reply.
    My intension is to headup to the cape for 3mths, have been there twice doin the telegraph and fishin, will build the patrol up to do all the hard stuff over the next 3-4 yrs cape, birdsville, tanami ect.

I have worked for telstra for yrs with a patrol upgrading remote radio systems all over OZ and she has been loaded up to the sh%&house most of the time, had extra leafs put in after an argument with our fleet mob said that doesn't matter if the springs bend back the other way, nissan set them straight.
    Only big issues i had was in 07 with a new 3ltr which had 2 new engines in the first 35000kms both times the oil in the engine ended up all over the roads. the new one i got last year has improved much more response and acellerates much better, but because i am now workin around NE vic all the time they are givin me a hilux instead (cheaper for them)

Anyway a was going to place extra reinfocement into the new tray to take the overhang only issue i could see is the lenght reducing my approach angle when climbing mounds.
    The steel tray on it now has a crane mounted to it (will replce will new tray) but i could still fit the trayon to it and have it overhang the 300mm just to see what the suspensions like with the weight set back.

Cheers

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day emu. My GU has had a chassis extension done rear of the spring hanger of approximately 400mm - gives me a tray size of 2400x1900 internally. Over hang is a bit of pain as it does reduce your departure angle- tow bar will drag at times. My ute is used for work ( mainly on road ) so I can put up with it dragging occasionally.Hopefully when I upgrade suspension I will gain a little extra clearance.Ideally a chassis extension should be done in front of the rear axle giving you a longer wheelbase - bit $$$$ though.Of course then your ramp over angle changes.
    Remember that a high IQ doesn't make up for a lack of common sense.
    Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself !

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Old Wal, i'm lookin at not putin her throught too much twistin hard stuff but then when you don't know the tracks it makes it hard to judge, so going to have to be quite strong to put up with the unknown.

Will post some pics of the potential beast.

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the legal aspects any extension has to conform to the 60% rule. This means that the maximum overhang from the midpoint of the rear axle to the furthest rearward point cannot measure more than 60% of the vehicle's wheelbase.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so heres a couple of pics before rego transfer.
    Picture 006.jpg
    Rear tray that will be replaced
    Picture 007.jpg
    Engine bay
    Picture 008.jpg
    Front pic
    Picture 009.jpg
    Basic interior
    Picture 011.jpg
    And the trayon camper that will be mounted onto the new tray, only just fits on the au ute(doesn't like it either)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cuppa, being readin a few of your posts, very informative, hope you enjoy your pod............so 60% without me going outside with the tape would be ?.

I'm lookin at increasin the lenght approx 300mm, so hope it's within range will check in morning, thanks

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    Hi Cuppa, being readin a few of your posts, very informative, hope you enjoy your pod............so 60% without me going outside with the tape would be ?.

I'm lookin at increasin the lenght approx 300mm, so hope it's within range will check in morning, thanks

Cheers
    Measuring is the best way, but according to wikipedia the wheelbase is 2970mm. This would allow a max overhang (including any load - spare wheels, jerries, tow ball etc) of 1782mm.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cuppa, went out in the dark and the measurement from axle to end of existing tray is roughly 1400mm, so if i'm guessin right i might be ok?
    I will look further into it as i go but i must say that all the coppas i know wouldn't have a clue about tray lenghts ect, and vic roads muppets would prob be the same.

Cheers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast