Thread: Onboard shower system

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onboard shower system

I asked this question on my 'home' forum, but I'll ask here too.......

Do any of you have an onboard or portable shower system? Are you happy with it, pros and cons, price, ect?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ross
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ross we have a "Helton" heat exchanger on the Gu , great for showers but a bit limited for hot water for dishes. Ours is mounted with quite a long inlet & outlet feed which does limit the performance a bit. I also have a johnson 11lpm pump hard wired into the bullbar which pumps the water through a bit quickly. My suggestion would be to use a 3-4lpm pump.

Kelvin.
    Watch out there's a Poo "Yota" lurking in the shadows !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark 1 For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (14th December 2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Ross, i ran a Glind system on the GQ for a few years and it was OK but did take a bit of warming up, especially behind the TD42. I found it fairly slow and inefficient but handy.

I have since stripped it off and bought a Coleman Hot Water system...THIS IS A WINNER!!

I will never refit the Glind mate. I have a Fire extinguisher hot water system for the bush and a fire and teh Coleman for the camper trailer. Instant hot water all the time every time in a second.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hey Ross, i ran a Glind system on the GQ for a few years and it was OK but did take a bit of warming up, especially behind the TD42. I found it fairly slow and inefficient but handy.

I have since stripped it off and bought a Coleman Hot Water system...THIS IS A WINNER!!

I will never refit the Glind mate. I have a Fire extinguisher hot water system for the bush and a fire and teh Coleman for the camper trailer. Instant hot water all the time every time in a second.
    I agree and have purchased a Companion Aquacube Portable which is great. Was a toss up between the Coleman or Companion. Purchased Companion as I have semi permantly connected to Spare Gas Bottle on our Jayco Dove and into a Power Source on Caravan. The Coleman would be more portable
    Regards
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob; 14th December 2010 at 02:31 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choices, options, choices, options. ARRRGGGHHH. Anybody got the Bushranger set up?
    http://www.bushranger.com.au/hot_water_shower.php
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    Choices, options, choices, options. ARRRGGGHHH. Anybody got the Bushranger set up?
    http://www.bushranger.com.au/hot_water_shower.php
    that is basically a Glind System mate, identical and Bushranger just did a copy of the Original Glind setup

http://www.glind.com.au/index.php/Pa...at-Shower.html

I reckon you are better to steer clear mate but that is just me. Try this.

http://downundercamping.com.au/home.php?cat=258

check out the Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsSd2iFqxAc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1be1X9i-oDU
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (15th December 2010)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main advantage of a heat exchanger i've found is space. I am very limited in space & the heat exchanger is under the bonnet not in the car. As we only have the roof topper & not a camper trailer ,space is of importance.

Kelvin.
    Watch out there's a Poo "Yota" lurking in the shadows !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark 1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a glind that is mounted on the firewall, used to heat water in a bucket to 40deg (multi meter has a temp sensor) then turn the engine off. We used one of those drop in the bucket pumps. Worked fine but was a pita to set up and pack away.

Now we have a bit of space there is now a 24ltr alum tank (size of a carton) with a better in-line pump in the back, plumbed to the heat exchanger with a thermostat set at 40deg.

Now as we drive the water heats and is ready when we get to camp. Turn a valve that redirects the water to the showerhead instead of the H.E. and we use a footswitch to operate the pump saving lots of water. Its all permanently connected in the pod. The rose attaches to the pod door and the spring up shower tent fits under it easy.

24ltr will give 5 - 6 showers if your smart or a 2 - 3 if rinsing shampoo from hair.

All we bought extra was the tank, valve, hose and stat. We allready used all the rest, and instead of running the engine just to heat water its done while driving, good for envirionment both in fuel usage and noise at camp.

Its so nice to have a shower when you are isolated for a few days, to me its worth the hassle and we carried most of it anyway.

Macca
    Last edited by macca; 15th December 2010 at 08:39 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made my own. Brought a 30plate heat exchanger off ebay from a home brew kit - $80 and then converted a $30 primus kit. Added a sureflo pump and done deal. Probably cost about $200 but works well.

We recirculate the water into the jerry until it is hot enough for the shower, turn the car off and away we go. Very nice - happy wife, happy life...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sweet_gq For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (16th December 2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Ross, I've been looking around for one myself for when we go camping.
    So far I like the Coleman system as its easy and very convenient, but most importantly portable. I have had a look at the heat exchanges for the truck but starting it up in the morning to warm up not my cup of tea.

Coleman gets my vote.

Cheers

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (16th December 2010)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast