OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GQ 4,2Diesel manual - What do you recommend if towing vans?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ 4,2Diesel manual - What do you recommend if towing vans?

Hi all
    just wondering about modifications that could/should be done for towing caravan around Oz. Haven't got van yet so don't know weights but imagine something around 16-17' and 1800kg'ish. So can you upgrade brakes to vented and bigger front discs? What about radiator; need a heavier duty item? If so suggestions please. Then there is the big one; Turbo. To help up hill in particular, should I get a turbo fitted for this purpose? Car is down to third gear in places climbing the hills outside Adelaide without a load.
    Any suggestions or experience vanning around Oz with GQ would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Monty

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Turbo would help on the hills for extra grunt they give, putting less pressure on the cooling system.
    Look at your towball weights a well most ppl overlook this, Before heading off on your hot lap if funds allowed
    I'd go talk to my local radiator place on what they recommonend. As for brakes I love those drilled and slotted DBA jobs.
    Matched to some quality brake pads the result should be exceptional. Get your 4x4 Dynoed for economy as well, may want to look at long range fuel tanks as well.
    this will see you able to fill up at CITY prices every now and then saving a few extra $$$$ along the way, thats M2cw
    Last edited by threedogs; 11th April 2013 at 07:47 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A turbo will make a massive difference when towing the van. A bigger radiator will help if your having issues with high water temp but I would not say it is necessary.

TI GQ patrols came out with twin pot front calipers. The calipers will bolt straight in but you will need matching rotors. This is a pretty easy upgrade.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    May also want to look at airbags in the back to even up the ride height,
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 97 DX td4.2 with turboglide turbo - 50mm lift and airbags on back and tow a 1680kg van, went for a 3row copper radiator, but would go a good brand alloy one, the copper one runs warmer slightly even with a high flow thermostat, new water pump etc so definately alloy one and got standard discs with good brake pads and no problem at all so far... also highly recommend an engine watchdog - 2 wires and bolt the main lead under a thermostat bolt and tells you the engine temp every 2 seconds , well worth the $149 bucks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't really have to modify your brakes as long as the vans brakes are adjusted and working correctly.
    Also, as long as you are willing to take it easy you can make do with a stock GQ. I have met many Vanners using GQs and they are totally stock, they just take it easy and take thier time on hills.
    I tow a 2000kg Van with my td42ti and still take it easy on big hills. Why stress the engine more than you need to!
    First rule of Vanning (IMHO) is never be in a hurry!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, when I say stick I mean stick motor, most have upgraded rear coils and/or airbags to keep things level.

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being in a hurry isn't something anyone towing should consider.
    If you plan towing, taking it easy is something a N/A td engine has no choice in, chugging along is it's only option.
    The N/A TD is just pleading for a turbo if you plan to tow.
    Every day you put this upgrade off is another day you use more fuel than needed.
    Towing or not, TD42T, is a win win both ways

If your struggling up hills now in third gear expect worse if your towing,
    I reason you this, why are you asking,your not satisfied with power as is.

It all comes down to how much dosh your prepared to part with.
    Search fuel consumption figures in many threads here and you'll see turbo is only option "going by fuel figures".
    and the drive train is up to the task .
    cheap ebay3 row rads give a wide birth .

Have a think about where you plan to travel,eg type of roads and then research suspension upgrades.
    shocks for instance are really going to work overtime towing, settling for cheaper shocks is asking for trouble.
    Been there done that, I now run KYB shocks and the ride difference is reason enough to part with more cash,
    let alone larger oil capacity superior build specs etc.
    Don' just settle on my choice, Bilstiene is another good choice.
    the list is long so have a good look around threads.
    cheers Robo.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Robo, thanks for your reply. I hadn't checked for a while, and was surprised to see another reply.
    Since starting thread I've bought a 2nd hand Evernew van pop-top single axle. ATM 1750kg. Done a few short trips now inc southern Flinders area and central/west Victoria. Really happy. Tows beautifully with Simplicity independent suspension. Power of NA 4.2 is OK, just a bit slow going up hill. Got Polyairs in rear springs so nice and level.
    Only real negative is mirros; got some that attach to wing mirrors, but sometime in v.strong wind or big trucks will blow mirror back.

Anyone here tried the ORA Big Red? It has an extra support leg with magnet attachment to centre of door.

Cheers all,
    PS Been raining non stop today so stuck indoors with fire on.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tis an old thread, but
    how did you go Monty?
    get the mirrors sorted out?
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast