User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boat trailer tie downs

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks but let me tell you a true story that you had to see to believe.......
    I was riding a push bike down the cycle path along the kwinana freeway about 8 pm( a main hwy that head into the centre of Perth 100km/h speed limit )about 12 years ago and watched a chain of events occur that amazed me...so here goes and visualise this.
    There was a car that pulled in front of a truck that was carrying plastic chairs, a pile of plastic chairs fell off the truck all unbeknown to the car and truck) a car that was towing a small boat( dinghy) was not far behind and then that car swerved to avoid the chairs, the boat then flipped almost on its side while on the trailer( the trailer stayed as it should but the boat was not tied down on the back). Because of the sudden flip a fuel tank came out of the boat( a metal 20 litre one that outboards plug into). Then the next car that came along hit the fuel tank and it got wedged under the car creating a hole in the tank and with the sparks the fuel tank caught alight under the car.the car with a woman ( about 30 years old on memory) driving pulled over and got out of the car and when she was a safe distance turned and watched the car burn to a shell. By the to time the fire brigade got there it was all over.
    So ever since this day, I have tied the stern of every boat I have had and towed.

Scotty

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rottodiver For This Useful Post:

Alitis007 (3rd April 2013), Clunk (3rd April 2013), gaddy (3rd April 2013), NP99 (7th April 2013), threedogs (8th November 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats like a real life Final destination movie mate!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaddy View Post
    No heads up or warnings anymore , I'm a rep so on the road all day , 14 years with no fines picked up 2 before Xmas 3 points $325 each both at the bottom of hills , find I spend more time watching the speedo than the road these days , but what gets on my goat is for 1 of them the car beside me was on the phone and drinking a coffee and I get done for 10 k over in a 4 lane road

Gaddy
    I'm not sure how you have spoken to the copers but some times if they are half decent they will give you a warning unless they have a quota to fill. If the coper that booked you was a boatie he would have given you a warning coz they have a better understanding but it looks like you've had a bad run mate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paints a all to clear picture . Most of my mates all tow boats regularly and only those with small Tinnies used a strap as a result of this there will be a shortage of tie downs in Capalaba this week , look out BCF. Order up LOL

Gaddy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always polite at the end of the day I was in the wrong and you can't argue with that

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gaddy For This Useful Post:

Alitis007 (3rd April 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of that.
    I didn't realize it was a law to strap down the rear.
    I have always done it, though only to stop the rear of my boat from jumping around if I hit rough roads etc.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugger about the fine but the rear should always be tied down not only for safety but to protect the boat from possible damage with it jumping around on the trailer.
    Here in SA quite a few guys have been fined for not having rated shackles and safety chains between the vehicle and the trailer.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yabb View Post
    Bugger about the fine but the rear should always be tied down not only for safety but to protect the boat from possible damage with it jumping around on the trailer.
    Here in SA quite a few guys have been fined for not having rated shackles and safety chains between the vehicle and the trailer.
    A run away boat would not be much fun!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would have avoided my fine , no trailer and boat still garaged !

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by everetLion View Post
    Also trying to keep mentioning this as often which possible until power turns become a thing of the past.While your skier falls,there is nothing need to floor the gas and rip out a big turn.
    Ummmmm I'm lost, can someone translate this for me.........must be the beers again!
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast