Thread: Floodwater

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Floodwater

Hi guys,

Well I am surrounded by water at the moment, have been for about a week out here at Wee Waa.

I am hoping to head out of town and down south on Wednesday but will likely have to drive through some water to do so....at this stage it looks as though I will need to get through about 0.6m maybe a little more in sports which is no problem for the Nissan.

What I am concerned about though is that straight after going through the water I have to travel about 500km. Just wondering if it is worth dropping my diff and gearbox oils once I get through the water?? I will be coming in to the water with everything pretty cold.
    I would rather not as it is a bit of a hassle, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I being over cautious?

Lloyd

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate - do you have a snorkel/breathers?? Either way, the temperature of the diffs and gearbox is somewhat of a bonus as I understand it, as water gets sucked in through the oil seals when the breathers close only if there is a dramatic cooling effect - i.e. if the gearbox and diffs are reasonably cold entering the water, then there is no/limited contraction due to not being hot, and hence they shouldn't suck in water. If you don't have breathers, 600mm water crossings should be fine for the air intake, but your diffs, transfer case and gearbox will definitely feel the brunt of it either way. Not sure about dropping the oils out/swapping, and others can offer more advice on that - if you do have a snorkel and breathers, then you should have absolutely no dramas at all.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Mate I have got a snorkel and breathers, the breathers have been put up nice and high so no dramas there. I was just more concerned about the water getting sucked in if the diffs were hot. Your right if they are nice and cool I should be okay. I might get under and just check all the breathers before I go.

Lloyd

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what the breathers are for mate - by raising them, the breather can remain open when you go through water and hence allow the diffs to breathe ... without them, the caps on the breathers seal shut to keep water out, but susequently, you end up sucking water in the oil seals due to the contraction ... you won't have that problem so long as your breather filter tips/heads are clean and working ... all goodness. Be safe mate - just came back from up north central Queensland and had the same problems, and some of the water (whilst only half a metre deep) was flowing at a fair rate, and that's enough to get the rig going sideways off the black stuff let me tell you!! Use caution and remember, better to be late and safe!!!

All the best with the trip.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott's right, as long as your diffs and gearbox are still cool and your breathers are working properly you shouldn't have a problem.

Tony
    Last edited by YNOT; 14th December 2010 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just take care mate and don't go trying to drive though too deep water and only drive on the roads that are open.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah thanks, Good advice, better safe then sorry!

Lloyd

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take care out there, bro.

Ross
    DX grunt
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safe trip mate & all the best with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good luck with your trip Lloyd, moved your thread here so others can see it better.

Let us know how you went too!