OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New member saying hi and history of problems and successes with our beloved fourby.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting intro and very informative. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New update, Have not been able to organize the inter-cooler as yet but soon. New radiator has been added to the truck... Drove up to Taree for the new radiator and the difference is awesome. The old radiator was an ADRAD copper/brass unit and did a fair job keeping the engine cool but more was definitely needed. The new radiator is a FENIX brand, which i think is a NZ company, one of the new high performance ones which has a light powder-coating on the tanks, top and bottom which is black. I was really surprised when i found out the radiator has two inlet/outlets on both sides of the tanks that can be used in combination with an electric water-pump for a heat exchanger. At the time i also changed the air con condenser, receiver dryer and getting it re-gassed. good price too.
    On the way back to Sydney the thermostat buggered itself and caused me to spend the night at Newcastle till the following day to change it over.
    all fixed, back on the road and with the new thermostat being an early opening type, kept the engine cooling work really efficiently the rest of the trip home.

All in all,

The copp[er brass ADRAD I had on the way up did work well to keep the engine cool, but on the long hauls up hills the temps raised to 90-100 whereas on the return trip on the same hills the new alloy only managed to raise no higher than 90 degrees at the extreme most. generally hanging out between 70-85 with the new radiator all other times.

More to come.......

I have many photo's of the mods and changes over the 3 years owning this fourby, I will be posting them later in posts to come.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,656 Times in 3,122 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Sim and father.
    Now that is an intro.. Brilliant, Goes to show how passionate you guys are about the cars.
    Sounds like you guys have a weapon of a car also, make sure to do up a thread in the members ride section with heaps of pics..

Anyway jump in and enjoy
    cheers
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day and welcome to the best patrol forum around! Make sure to post up some pics of your beast in the members ride section

Members Rides

This thread has alot of useful threads linked

Some mechanical threads that may be of interest:

Why Diesels Smoke

Checking and cleaning MAF sensors

NADS discussion

Recovery and safety!

Recovery Bible

Towballs are not recovery points

Recovery: The Fundamentals

and lastly this should be read and passed on to anyone that is not aware of the fact

Deaths from towballs

Last but not least enjoy the forum and everything it has to offer, Don't be afraid to ask questions as we are all here to help each other out!

Cheers,
    Eric.
    1998 GU RD28T: RIP
    1996 GQ RD28T: RIP 11 days later
    Hello 2012 GU CRDZD30

Nissan winchbar + Warn, Dual Battery/Redarc, UHF and Titan rear drawers

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey all, cheers.

when I have a chance I will contribute in the members ride area, when that happens I will provide a link in this thread to the new one in the members ride area.

We absolutely love our fourbeeeeeeees, many many good times (inc, having an emu run into the car and becoming an amputee from it, the emu was injured beyond help so I had to put it down, the only humane thing to do) and bad times, but they all add to the joyous times that owning a 4x4 can bring.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Sim,

That would be a great idea to run an electric water pump to a heat exchange! That would be good for towing for sure!
    Welcome to the forum

Lionel

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow !!! what an intro ...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok guys, more troubles!!

Oil leaking from engine, on drivers side of block somewhere, causing loss of approx 500ml every 600k's and causing grief in trying locate point origin.
    Indicators are leaning me towards rear block seal in bell housing, oil pump gasket or possible leaking from dipstick entry on block or dipstick top, due to dipstick being rather loose at top and not sealing very well.

Oil splatter no higher than bottom of oil filter location and oil is covering bottom half of starter motor and dripping down to the bottom section of bell housing clutch plate area.

Possible transfer case chain damage, 2nd hand gearbox and transfer supplied in conversion by mechanic and I have heard stories of 2nd hand transfers from ex mining vehicles, hoping that this is not the case as really don't want to deal with mechanic who did the conversion. When third gear continually kept popping out, we approached the mechanic and informed him of the issue on multiple occasions he kept saying "just keep an eye on it"! Then said he would change the gearstick to the correct one!! Which did not fix the issue and kept delaying it.
    He finally sent the box off to be checked and it was what I had suspected... Third gear was rooted.
    He seemed unhappy that he had to fix it!!

I was shocked with the responses I kept receiving.

Furthermore, the rear tail shaft is in shocking condition and must be replaced due to the diff angles that caused our rear diff pinion seal to leak and this will cost another 6-700 dollars to fix.

Too the point where we are fed up and are now organising a highly reputable workshop just west of Sydney city to fine tooth comb the entire conversion!!

Another issue as well being the angle the block is sitting in the engine bay! Looking front on, the block tilts to the passenger side noticeably causing me to lift the passenger side front with a jack to drain another 3-400ml extra oil out!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just hit owning truck for 3 years and still have had no chance of taking it off the black top for what it's been built for!

Now unable to take this vehicle on a month long trip around tassie because of all this.

This will be the second trip that will be missing this vehicles enjoyment.
    Must now take the 80 series that was bought to allow my folks to attend a trip with their friends through rural nsw almost 8 months ago.
    The disappointment that accompanies such mechanical nightmares.

We have come too far to give up now.
    Great to have a place to vent to others who can understand and appreciate how these issues can affect owners and the frustration endured.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be missing out on the tassie trip to address the fixing and hopefully the final completion of this sh##storm.

Losing faith in the reliability of such a great vehicle is extremely hard to take on board.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast