Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tyres wearnig funny???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tyres wearnig funny???

33'x12.5x15 maxxis bighorns, 15x8 rims, 4" lift dobbo med rate coils, efs xtreame shocks,running front tyre pressures at about 28 psi, rears at 26psi unloaded, ive ran these pressures
    with two sets of these particular tyres, done a rotation yesturday, noticed 4 lugs on the inside lugs only , 2 lugs then directly opposite those lugs 2 more lugs are wore down 2-3mm more than every other lug on the tyre, this is on all 4 tyres, same spot, gives a vibration through the whole car randomly around 100 ish kays, any one got any input as to what may cause this????
    went to bob jane t marts, they were very quick to blame my suspension, i replied with its all new at about the same time including the car been completly rebushed, they still insisted on it been the suspensions fault......and told me i should be running 40psi, when considering the tyre states 35psi max when cold fully loaded...!!!!!!!! oh and the tyres have done 35,000ks, plenty of tread left, only started doing this in the last 5-8000 kays...... rest of tyre wearing pretty well considering..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think your pressures are too low for on road maybe go to 35 for around town and 40 for HWY.
    Hopefully your wear will be more even, Try rotating them every 5000K as well to even out the wear
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by td42dan View Post
    33'x12.5x15 maxxis bighorns, 15x8 rims, 4" lift dobbo med rate coils, efs xtreame shocks,running front tyre pressures at about 28 psi, rears at 26psi unloaded, ive ran these pressures
    with two sets of these particular tyres, done a rotation yesturday, noticed 4 lugs on the inside lugs only , 2 lugs then directly opposite those lugs 2 more lugs are wore down 2-3mm more than every other lug on the tyre, this is on all 4 tyres, same spot, gives a vibration through the whole car randomly around 100 ish kays, any one got any input as to what may cause this????
    went to bob jane t marts, they were very quick to blame my suspension, i replied with its all new at about the same time including the car been completly rebushed, they still insisted on it been the suspensions fault......and told me i should be running 40psi, when considering the tyre states 35psi max when cold fully loaded...!!!!!!!! oh and the tyres have done 35,000ks, plenty of tread left, only started doing this in the last 5-8000 kays...... rest of tyre wearing pretty well considering..
    That is way to low mate.... most guys run between 35-42psi, I run 42 mostly as I tow a lot.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, bit off topic but tyre pressure has been discussed previously and I'd say you are to low.

I checked with Bridgestone, they recommended 40 front and rear, and 45 if towing 1500kg. They said ignore the tyre pressure placard from the dealer as they don't have to pay for the tyres, they just want to give you the most comfortable ride. These are recommend pressures for blacktop naturally.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    I think your pressures are too low for on road maybe go to 35 for around town and 40 for HWY.
    Hopefully your wear will be more even, Try rotating them every 5000K as well to even out the wear
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    That is way to low mate.... most guys run between 35-42psi, I run 42 mostly as I tow a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollofish View Post
    Hi mate, bit off topic but tyre pressure has been discussed previously and I'd say you are to low.

I checked with Bridgestone, they recommended 40 front and rear, and 45 if towing 1500kg. They said ignore the tyre pressure placard from the dealer as they don't have to pay for the tyres, they just want to give you the most comfortable ride. These are recommend pressures for blacktop naturally.
    Why are you guys recommending him to exceed the the pressure rating of his tyre?.......... Really

Dan, When I was running my maxxis on the road I too used low pressures and havnt had abnornal wear. I probably would at least take them up to 30-32 psi which is what I generally ran.
    I would be closely inspecting your shocks. as, beside the whees and tyres are the one only common thing on each corner of the wagon.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

Bob (29th March 2013), Great Southern Camping (29th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: tyres wearnig funny???

My first thoughts were that your tyres are under inflated, specially if I read correctly and the outer parts of your tyres are wearing faster than the inners........ But as beneboy states, check out your suspension geometry etc.

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Ben-e-boy (29th March 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A guide to tyre wear
    If you look along the tread line of the tyre (from the back to the front over the top of the tread.
    Wear on both outer edges of an individual tyre, all the way around = underinflation.
    Wear on centre section of the tyre, all the way around = overinflation.
    Scalloping can be caused by several things and I do not agree with shocks as the main cause. Shocks that are in poor condition will not help the issue but will not be the cause.
    Wear around the tyre at differing heights (when looking across the top of the tyre from the rear), so tread is low, then high, then low etc as it goes around the circumference, but is fairly equal across the width, will be what they call static out of balance. This happens when one side of a wheel is heavier than another side. If you stuck a chunk of mud on the tread somewhere, it will cause the wheel to rotate until the mud is at the bottom (when wheel in air). This inbalance leads to an 'up-down' style of movement when driving and will result in vibrations or shudders through the steering if on a front axle, and will resonate through the car if on the back axle.
    You can have tyres that are scalloped across the tyre and makes the sections of tread look like its worn like wedges. If this is all the way around and looks similar all the way around, it can be caused by tow-in or tow-out issues (you can tell by looking at the way the 'wedge' goes if its tow-in or out). This type of scalloping can also be caused by loose steering uni-joints, mainly in the drag link that links both wheels, or other steering components that allow the wheels to be pushed or dragged at an angle.
    Scalloping that is a little uneven can be caused by dynamic wheel balance issues as the wheel wants to wobble sideways as well as up and down. This is when a wheel has a weighted section more on one side, but off-set from the middle. So if you stuck a weight to the side of you tyre you would get 'dynamic' issues.
    This uneven type of scalloping can also be caused by loose wheel bearings.
    If you have wear on the inside of the tyre more than the out (all the way around), this is due to a neg camber issue. If in a Patrol, I'd be considering your steering / king pin bushes and /or wheel bearings.
    Keep in mind that mud tyres are hard to balance and keep them balanced. It took me 3 goes to get it spot on with my 33's and I have done them again end of last year, and will be doing them again soon as the wobble is back.
    I had more than 200g on one side of a wheel when they were new.
    Muddies, especially cheaper ones, are hard to balance unless the machine is on the right setting and the fellow knows exactly what he's doing.
    If you have the wheels perfectly balanced, you should have no issues.
    Tyre pressures generally wont cause real bad vibrations but if the tread was even a slightly different compound in areas (a fraction softer in one location than another) if it was a cheap or dodgy batch, then you will hit a 'soft-spot' each time it rotates. This is fairly unlikely. I'd be considering balance and physical items like steering and bushes.
    Last edited by Lieney; 29th March 2013 at 10:15 PM.
    06 GU IV Nissan Patrol wagon 3.0L, Tough Dog 2" lift, Xrox bar, 12k Mako winch, 33" muddies, 3" exhaust, Awning, UHF, drawers & fridge, custom sliders, DVDs, custom water tank and pump, rack etc etc.
    Now just in - GQ Shorty 4.2 petrol, UHF - but looking at turbo or V8 conversion

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lieney For This Useful Post:

Great Southern Camping (29th March 2013), mrflibbles (3rd April 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    Why are you guys recommending him to exceed the the pressure rating of his tyre?..........
    Fair point, will make sure I fully read a post before commenting
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

Ben-e-boy (30th March 2013), Great Southern Camping (29th March 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollofish View Post
    Fair point, will make sure I fully read a post before commenting
    haha not to worry... Been guilty of that more than once lmao
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

jack (30th March 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by great southern camping View Post
    really c.................?? Lol

scotty (bigrig)

great southern camping
    www.gscoffroad.com.au

really!!!!!!!!
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

Great Southern Camping (30th March 2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast