Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Fuel Filter on 2006 GU 3,0

Hi All
    I read about the need for a water separator type fuel filter before heading really outback.
    We plan the Simpson, so wonder if anyone knows how well the factory filter performs.
    Book says change at 100k, drain each service.
    Thanks
    Dr Gary
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dr Gary. Mine is an 04 GU 3L and I replace my fuel filter every 6 months . Cheap insurance and peace of mind motoring .
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to boots For This Useful Post:

Dr Gary (31st March 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doc,

The standard fuel filter works fine. It already has a water separator in it, in fact it is alarmed to your ‘check engine’ light on the dash. According to the Nissan Dealer I spoke with in Innisfail FNQ, if the check engine light comes on and it’s steady, it’s a water in the fuel issue, if it’s flashing, it’s some other problem with the engine. You can see the little float in the bottom of the housing when you change the fuel filter. There is a little tap on the bottom of the filter housing to let out any water (as water is denser than diesel), so it will sink to the bottom, however in practice it is rare that you would actually pick up any water from your tank, and if you did I surmise that your engine would stop as water in such significant quantities would flood the filter and go on to the cylinders where it would of course – not burn!
    I change my engine oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter every 10k. I buy a set of all three on ebay for about $60 with postage (normally Sakura brand – but it varies). I also add Diesel Nulon to the oil as I believe it works well and is a great anti-Nads feature.
    I had an issue with algae in the fuel. This blocks the filter and thus the flow of fuel to the engine. This algae lives in the fuel between the fuel and any water in the tank – cunning stuff. On occasion it can multiply rapidly. It then caused the car to lose power and appear to be in limp home mode, but it was merely starving for fuel.
    Changing the fuel filter immediately fixed the problem but the RACQ man cut open the old filter to show me, and it looks like it’s full of jelly!!!
    When I asked him about damage to the injectors he stated that the filters do their job and that’s it, no other problems occur. I then treated the fuel with a treatment to kill the bugs and changed the filter again 1000k later, that filter also had solids in it – but not jelly, but solids that I assume were sucked up from the tank including small pieces of solid matter after being released by the jelly!!! Never a problem since.
    Moral of the story, treat your fuel once a year, it’s cheap insurance. Also I would never leave a filter in for 100k but that’s just my personal view- remember the filter mediums are basically treated paper, they will break down over a long time.
    Lastly, if going ‘cross the desert, maybe carry a spare filter just in case.
    As a techo matter, note that every time I change my fuel filter - I prime the new one with the pumper on top, but the engine doesn’t start. A mate gave me this little tip. Use a narrow nose pliers to crimp off the fuel return line (on my ZD30) it’s the little 50mm rubber hose at the top of the motor on the opposite side to the fuel filter just above and behind the turbo charger. Then have someone crank the engine, this forces trapped air through the injectors into the motor and then allows the engine to start easily. Let go of the hose as soon as the engine starts, so pressure does not build up in the system.
    Good Luck Doc…

6. The Following User Says Thank You to steve4377 For This Useful Post:

Dr Gary (17th September 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a 2.8 litre GU and on that the duel filter DID fill with water once. NO ! the light did not come on, but there was a splutter from the engine, a cough or two, then a bang, engine stopped and smell of diesel came into cab. Oh, Oh !
    Pulled bonnet and found fuel filter had BLOWN OFF the mounting, apparently there was that much water in the diesel, the filter filled up with it, and being uncompressable the pressure of the pump kept pumping until the pressure was too great and the threads gave way.
    Screwed filter back on, hand pumped until filter was full, no signs of water, started engine watched fuel, no further problems.
    Arriving home, removed filter and replaced with new, never had the issue again. Might add haven't bought diesel from that location ever again either.
    So, at the end of the day, stop worrying so much about water in your fuel, the filters work well, and if you don't keep tabs on it, (like me) it can always blow off and drain it'self as written here.
    In all fairness, I must also add I use CHEMTECK Diesel fuel additive which is supposed to help disipatate any water that does get into the diesel, PROVIDED it's only a small amount.
    I change my fuel filter evey 10,000 K's. was told cheap insurance and much cheaper then injector replacement or service.
    To bleed off air after changing out a fuel filter, I disconnect the fuel line to the fuel pump at the filter outlet, place a clean iceream container under outlet and manualy pump until all bubbles are clear, reconnect hose loosely, repump ensuring no bubbles in hose, tighten clamp. Engine start first time, every time.
    Going on trip thru desert, would not leave home with a spare, AIR/OIL/FUEL filter. Did trip thru Pilbara last year, carrying same, and the AIR filter was used, try buyin one up there in the bush LOL.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to itchyvet For This Useful Post:

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an issue last year with the filter crossing after picking up bad fuel. The engine warning light comes on and I opened the bottom drain as per the handbook and it came good. however it kept doing it so a changed it the spare filter at Mt Dare before returning across again. Now I have fitted a Donaldson Filter from Berrima Diesel acting as a pre filter with a water bowl at the bottom. Also it may be worthy of getting a fine filtered funnel to lessen the chance of getting into your tank. All good since.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gary View Post
    Hi All
    I read about the need for a water separator type fuel filter before heading really outback.
    We plan the Simpson, so wonder if anyone knows how well the factory filter performs.
    Book says change at 100k, drain each service.
    Thanks
    Dr Gary

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fs1952 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of the Diesel care fuel filters. It takes bugger all time to install and is cheap insurance for your engine.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mentok For This Useful Post: