Thread: Pedders vs Iron man vs Emu

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pedders vs Iron man vs Emu

Hi my Patrol GU 7 wagon is used for towing a caravan most of it's time on the road. The front suspension now sits 30mm lower than standard and the rear sits 40mm lower than standard. Front and rear shocks are all soft.

Given that I do not need a lift kit for wheel clearance and 90% of our driving is on what pretends to be bitumen roads in Australia, I'm hoping to just return the Patrol to standard height with slightly stronger springs and much better shocks. Ride comfort without the caravan is paramount since my wife and I both have bad backs. We can't be getting tossed around.

So far, I have identified three options. Pedders make stronger but standard height springes and can supply foam shocks. I've read on this forum that Old Man Emu have standard height springs as well. Then there is Iron Man's 50mm lift, non-constant load springs, again with foam shocks. If I go Iron Man's springs though, the car would sit 50mm + 40mm = 90mm higher than it does now. I don't know if I could get used to that.

So, of those three paths, can I have some feedback from members with regard to the pros/cons from their experience?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you are comparing a Niva Lada (steel man) with a HSV Grande ( Old Man Emu) and Pedders Ridepro are OK for what you want to do with it.

For my money it would be Old Man Emu standard height springs and Polyair airbags in the back for towing. Best of both worlds.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 720 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk to King Springs I think they do variable rate springs which give you a soft ride when empty and stiffen when loaded.. shockers I run Monroe 4x4 with no problems

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

beaST_01-dell (28th August 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete, the shocks won't give you any extra lift.....

It is only the springs that will give you lift, and you can choose from a range of aftermarket springs in standard or 2" lift heights.

I will let you know my bias towards Kings Springs and Koni Shocks from the front, as I think they are the best compromise, but out of the ones you have picked, I would put them in the following order from favorite to least favorite....Old Man Emu, Iron Man, Pedders.

I haven't asked, but I am sure you can get Old Man Emu springs in standard height if you want them, but a nice 2" lift gives you a little bit more body clearance if you decide to go offroad at all.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also go the variable rate springs as mentioned ( Often called Progressive Rate Springs ). I had them previously, and they were great for comfort.

The way the shocks are set will alter the comfort of the ride too. I would look for adjustable Shocks such as the Koni's, as they can dial them in to give you a more compliant ride.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete, I'm running Kings springs and Koni shocks and very happy with them. Have a chat to Dale at Tru Line in Latrobe St. He's full of useful advice and independent, tell him what you're after and he can advise.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google Pedders first!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Pedders vs Iron man vs Emu

Quote Originally Posted by Apollofish View Post
    Pete, I'm running Kings springs and Koni shocks and very happy with them. Have a chat to Dale at Tru Line in Latrobe St. He's full of useful advice and independent, tell him what you're after and he can advise.
    If you're anywhere near Ballarat, another vote for Dale from me. He set up my Rodeo last time. Went with Koni shocks. Very happy with them and the service.

tapatalk on galaxy note
    Thanks, Cameron
    No Patrol now - Just good memories!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Thank you to everyone who offered advice

Thanks to your advice, this morning, I have been down to ARB and Tru-Line. Dale (Tru-Line) checked out the Patrol and deemed the shockers to be the big problem. They were way too soft.

He has recommended a set of Koni shocks but did not see the need to replace the original Nissan springs because he thought the ride height looked normal. He suggests that I fit a set of Firestone air bag inserts to boost the rear whenever we have the caravan attached. That way, we can maintain a softer ride when touring without the load.

Of all the solutions, Dale's solution sounded the most practical so I think that's the way I'll go.

I guess I'm also impressed by someone who could have sold me more gear but chose not to offer anything I really didn't need.

Thanks again for all your help.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsy_Pete For This Useful Post:

cgm (28th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy_Pete View Post
    Of all the solutions, Dale's solution sounded the most practical so I think that's the way I'll go.

I guess I'm also impressed by someone who could have sold me more gear but chose not to offer anything I really didn't need.
    Good to hear mate, and I'm not affiliated in any way with Dale. Just found him to be helpfull and honest.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast