Thread: Towing concerns

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Towing concerns

Well keep an eye out coz there's a few of us on here who get together from time to time for a bit of wheeling and a few of us are members of the Western patrol club..... I think details are still in my signature if youre on a pc. Also a bloody good bunch of knowledgeable folk who are willing to help spend other people's hard earned lmao

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

3kids (23rd March 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave,

If yours is standard off the showroom floor, you will have nothing to worry about.

It will have heaps of grunt, and you will be wondering why you worried about it in the first place.

The Auto will kick down by itself on the hills anyway, so it won't be stuck at 70 kmph. I think the only complaint I have heard is the constant kicking down every time you touch the throttle.

Once you start modifying with bigger tyres and the extra bits and pieces, then you will probably need to think about exhausts and chips...... having said that, mine is still standard.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

3kids (23rd March 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear mic,
    It is comforting to know the stocker is a very capable unit.

Clunk,
    I look forward to visiting your site tomorrow when I can access a fibre network instead of a wireless unit that continually drops out.
    It is probably all the WC Eagles supporters accessing help lines overloading the usable band width after the defeat dished out by the dockers

I just couldn't help myself
    Regards
    Dave
    3kids

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3kids View Post
    FYI I wanted a manual but as it was to be the main family car I had to settle for the auto.
    Be happy with the auto! Better box than a manual for 4wd except downhill (not everyone agrees though :-). Learn to drive through the brakes and you have "poor mans lockers". Enjoy the new rig.
    GU1 Auto ST4500 lpg/petrol.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to twisty For This Useful Post:

3kids (24th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Not sure how many gears you guys have in your autos, my old gq only has 1,2 and D plus overdrive....... if you have 4, I'd be dropping down to maybe third gear on Lesmurdie Hill

What you tapin at!!!!!????
    Yours is a 4 speed gearbox
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday 3kids,depending on where in perth you are,i generally go to opposite lock midland or lifestyle 4wd in morley,both places are great at what they do and are very helpful for information about your 4by,there is no warranty issues with th 2 3/4 exhaust as it only helps it breath better,power is greatly improved and i dont really see the need for a chip,but others may have different opinions,just depends what you want out of it i suppose,i havnt really had a chance to record any fuel figures yet as i just go out and have fun in it,im off to do the top end and the kimberleys for 2 months in may so will report fuel figures when i return,have fun with your gu,there great.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gu8 patrol For This Useful Post:

3kids (24th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 3kids View Post
    Can anyone recommend a reputable Perth based diesel mechanic / 4WD mod centre??
    Probably a tad off topic here, but a recommendation to folks over in the west.

Not a a 4wd mod centre & not even in Perth........ But in my experience finding a good mechanic is a real lottery, finding a great mechanic is a find indeed. I cannot recommend Dave & his team at Avon Precision Engineering Services in Northam, WA highly enough. His workshop serviced our bus (3.3 litre 4 cyl Nissan) when we were over that way. Not only was Dave a rare commodity in that he actually listened to what I wanted, evidenced by his responses & the advice he gave, but his workshop & team are highly skilled & very well set up. They have full machining/engine reconditioning facilities on site, so as well as general mechanical work can undertake any rebuild/repair. Even has x-ray for cylinder heads etc. Generally I think they concentrate on larger trucks (I think they are a CAT agent), but we found them exceptionally helpful. This is not an 'eat your dinner off the spotless floor' type of workshop in case that is the sort of thing you prefer to pay for.
    Later when further north we had problems with work done in Geraldton, Dave was very helpful with advice on the phone. I only wish we lived closer as without exception I have never found a better set up, skilled & trustworthy workshop.

No connection other an as a very satisfied customer.

A.P.E.S. - 9 Chidlow st, Northam, 08 9622 2782.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 24th March 2013 at 01:16 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

3kids (24th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Towing concerns

Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Yours is a 4 speed gearbox
    Semantics my dear Toddy lol

What you tapin at!!!!!????

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again,
    3 of the recommended mechanics are basically next door considering how spread out Perth is and Northam is only 1 hour away.
    Throw in the pleasant cruise through Mundaring and it makes for a possible visit to sound out the Northam option
    Regards
    Dave
    3kids

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing concerns

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Be happy with the auto! Better box than a manual for 4wd except downhill (not everyone agrees though :-). Learn to drive through the brakes and you have "poor mans lockers". Enjoy the new rig.
    Auto lock up switch fixes the down hill problem!!!!!
    Scotty

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rottodiver For This Useful Post:

3kids (24th March 2013)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast