OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WINCHES DISCUSSION, whats the best value for money?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Not every winch can run rope, as far as I know. If the winch brake is in the drum it can be too hot for the rope.
    Most LOW MOUNT winches have an internal Drum brake that gets very hot in certain situations and can be a killer of a Dyneema Rope. It is fairly easy to manage though

The only time that the internal Drum brake is engaged is when the winch is stopped (does not get hot) and when you WINCH OUT. If you use your free spool to pull the cable out rather than Winch out using the winch motor you should have little drama fitting a synthetic rope to any winch.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Great Southern Camping (22nd March 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Not every winch can run rope, as far as I know. If the winch brake is in the drum it can be too hot for the rope.
    hey Irish, just came across this while perusing some winches,
    http://www.kulkyne.com/au/T-Max-1000...html#technical
    it seems to have an automatic "in drum" braking system but still running rope, and in my experience, heat doesn't affect the integrity of this style of rope, it suffers allot from friction though.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Warn-Winch...00lb.html#info

this one looks pretty snazzy. seems to be a smart design, with cooling fan, and a mechanical cone brake.

just one more question, whats the differance between 12, and 24 volt, and what are the pros and cons between them?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now im afraid i have to go against the grain just a little here, i have the cheaper hercules Tigerz winch, it got me out of 2 nasty beach situations about 12 months ago, and at just over $400, it paid for itself easy , i left the winch uncovered outside for over 7 months, then pulled it apart for inspection, it looked really good inside.

The guts of the Tigerz winch looked no more prone to failure than some of the name brand winches ive had apart to fix, and im very happy to put it back on my car,(i too have a XROX bar) and i have even more faith in the winch after looking inside.

At the time i bought my winch, Tigerz customer service/people skills was quite awfull, every question i asked (all polite) was taken as a aggressive "dig" at the product, and so the responce i recieved was less than helpful, so if thats how you get treated when they are tying to sell you something, i can only imagine how you get treated if you do have a "problem" ?

Tigerz now have some retail stores you can go and talk to in person (ive not been in one), perhaps this may be a little more pleasant way to buy, and if they service the warranty, it may be worth having a look at Tigerz ?

Im going to buy a Tigerz roof basket next, i was going to get one from this cool mob called GSC, but apparently they don't sell roof baskets !

<a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a tabor 9k winch ( made by warn) and it has coped a flogging the only issue I had was snapping off the free spool knob but I just replaced it with a warn 9k winch knob as its a better designed knob and easier to hold and turn .

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    I've got a tabor 9k winch ( made by warn) and it has coped a flogging the only issue I had was snapping off the free spool knob but I just replaced it with a warn 9k winch knob as its a better designed knob and easier to hold and turn .
    Any problems with it? i'm thinking about getting one.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Tigerz Hercules winch, it works great.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No mate no issues to date had it 3.5 years and hasn't missed a beat only the knob and that only snapped off because I packed to much grease in it the first time I serviced it but upgrading to the warn9k knob is easier operation if you plan on using it regularly. I would buy one again

11. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

Lewy (23rd March 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Avenger 9.5 winch on my GU and I can say it works a treat!! It also runs a external brake so the rope does not heat up!! And IMO its the best value for quality winch on the market!!

Lewy..
    GU ST-L 4.2 turbo diesel Because reliability counts!!!!!
    Front Elocker and a Heep more cool stuff :-)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tigers 12000 pound Grande....used about 25 times since July 2012, hasnt missed a beat yet.
    I do my maintenace, and it gets cycled once a week in/out about 10 metres, while having a beer.
    The thing was cheap, and it does what its meant to, pretty well.

I'm happy with it.
    Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast